Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Let the remodel begin ...

Ive done a bunch of work to an old TT but it just didn't have much room. I came across this 5th wheel from a friends dad and bought it for next to nothing. He used it in the 90s then it went to the woods for 10 or so years as a hunting trailer. Years ago he sold that farm and moved it to his current farm where its been sitting unused for years. The side window and the rear window both leaked and rotted out the walls. A hail storm took out the roof vents and damaged some of the ceiling panels around the skylight.

Here is how it was when I got it.

The first thing we did is camp in it overnight. I have 30amp service and sewer hookups at my house. I wanted to get a feel for what worked and what didn't. One issue I found were the steps going upstairs. My 100pounder dog fell going down them. I feel i could easily slip and going between the step and the wall would be awful.

I only had a little propane so i couldn't test the heater or fridge in propane mode. The refrigerator works on 110v, the a/c just hums, the stove works, and the furnace is really really loud. All plumbing and lights work.
BairleaFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #2

Steps to bedroom and flooring removed ...

The couch doesnt work like it should and the wall behind it is rotted from the window leaking. I removed it and tore out all damged wood.

I am doing a big floor plan change but had to start here. All rotten lumber replaced. The lower half i used pressure treated and regular lumber everywhere else. I double layered foam board (off setting the seams). Luan board was used after all seams were taped.

All open walls were left open during a 2 day rain. No leaks found anywhere and no wetspots.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #3

This was converted to a goose neck which i prefer. The axles have already been flipped which is nice as we do a ton of boondocking. I have a whole set of tanks i will be adding to this to double all tank capacities. The radio works when it wants to but it will soon be removed.

Amazing how dingy everything is. All plastic will be painted when the ceilings are painted. Right now everything is just primed. The magazine rack next to the step housing the shower plumbing so i will have to build something around that.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

There is a way to clean the old plastic to look like new, I read on YouTube something about hydrogen peroxide and UV light will remove all that old oxidized plastic to look like new. Try a search you might find it. Good luck on your rebuild.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello,

Looks like you know what you are doing and you can make this into a nice rig for what you want to do. Your son appears to already be thinking about some plans for this baby and your dog has already figured out his place for naps.

When you rebuild the steps to the bedroom make sure to build them so you can store things inside them. Just more storage for say shoes or ammo or tools or things.

Furnace probably needs a good cleaning or you have mud dauber wasps inside it. That's what ours had and once we removed the dried mud the sound lessened considerably. They aren't the quietest furnaces but a bit of oil helps too.

I also read about the hydrogen peroxide and UV light for cleaning up the plastic parts. I think they put the peroxide on and set it outside for the bigger pieces. Worked really well. Will watch for the completed project.

Best of luck
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:20 AM   #6

I dont think ill mess with the hydro prox and light but i appreciate the idea guys. My house batteries are going under the steps. The good think about AGMs is not having to mess with venting them.

I figure, as well, that some animal has made a nest in the furnace. Its under the fridge and appears to be recessed in the floor. I have looked at it but am not 100% sure how to get to it without removed the refrigerator. I will be removing all cabinets to the right of it so I have high hopes I can get to it then.

Thats the small one. I've also got a 85 pound Pyrenees/lab mix and a 102 pound German short hair mix.

disclaimer: i dropped the cereal not the dog.

They are part of the reason for me upgrading to the bigger 5th wheel.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Super job so far, following along here.

Beautiful dogs!!

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Super job so far

Beautiful dogs!!
Thanks.

I think the brownies I found behind the microwave are also vintage. The microwave cabinet sat low over the stove. I moved it above where the new counter is going and raised it up. This is where the roof starts its upward slope so it fit well.

I had planned on reusing the dinette but I think it will be easier just to build it new. The wood in this thing is so brittle.

I actually had hopes of re using the radio. I will not as i have discovered that it is 110v.

Ive still got to rip all the counter and sink out of the back as its all rotten. Ive been tossing around the idea of putting a living room type are maybe with a wrap around couch type deal. I still need to do some thinking on that. I will need to figure out my final game plan sooner than later.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #9

leaks

Did you find where all the leaks were coming from and how did you repair them?

You have way more motivation than I do

Nice work, I bet it comes out nice
FirstRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #10

As of now yes. Since tearing out the back cabinet it looks like I have a leak to find. I'll pull the insulation and stuff and let it sit through the next rain.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you do the couch, have you thought about placing a drop down bunk above it, like a murphy bed, so that if your son wants company to come along you would have an extra bed?

You're doing a great job and am following you so I see your finished product.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
like a murphy bed, so that if your son wants company to come along you would have an extra bed?
The top pic is the layout an the bottom pic are my current plans. I haven't decided how exactly i am going to finish the floor plan but my wife and i have decided that we want a table and chairs verses a dinette.

I would like a bunk for my son and might put it above a couch? Something that gives him his own space. Plans for sleep over guest haven't been given much thought.

They whole back half i want as a living space. Maybe wrap around couches?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	186008  
Old 12-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #13

Took these plates off after tearing for stuff out. I cant stand connections behind walls.

Might as well tear it out and get some idea of where the wires go.

The outlet box at the top is cable and speaker wires. I dont think i will ever use them but i like the idea of being able to get to them if need me. The waste high boxes to the right of the window will be a 110 volt and a 12 volt outlet.

With this side track I didnt get as much done today as i wanted. Not a big deal but still would like to be a little further.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BairleaFarm View Post

With this side track I didnt get as much done today as i wanted. Not a big deal but still would like to be a little further.
Progressive improvement is better than postponed perfection
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel