Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #1

Let there be LIGHT!

Having recently purchased an "Oldie-but-goodie" '88 27 foot Winnebago MH on a GM chassis, I been sorta busy restoring various areas and items back at least somewhere near what they were originally. Most of the heavier duty stuff has been accomplished, so I decided to work on the illumination provided at the rear of the MH, by a good general cleaning, as well as improving the reflectivity in the inner structure of the individual light modules.

Most MH's seem to all use pretty much the same actual fixtures for their interior and exterior lights - these are much the same as the ones on our Kit 5th wheel, which I have also worked on in the past to improve light output.

Some might figure that they do little actual night-time driving, so the lights are sort of low priority - but remember, the brake lights and turn signals ARE used, even in daylight - and wouldn't you sorta like those to be easily seen, even in direct sunlight?

SO, here's the routine - first remove the light lens(es) for an inspection - mine look like this:

Not too bad overall, other than the relatively small and DULL reflector surface - the lenses themselves are in good shape, so a simple cleaning of the interior of the module and bulb is accomplished, then I cut a piece of aluminum foil a bit larger than the light module case, and wad it up a bit to provide irregular reflective surfaces for increased light reflectivity:

Once carefully opened up, and gently formed shiny side out, to the inner surfaces of the light module, it looks like this - be VERY careful to NOT allow the foil to contact or potentially short out any of the light bulb wiring - tape or various small dabs of glue/cement can be used to hold the foil in place if you feel it's needed:

OK, button it all up, and check out the results - the pic below was taken in broad daylight, the cluster on the LEFT has been worked on, the right side is still stock - the low res quality on Internet photos is deceiving, and while not greatly evident here, there IS about double the light output on the modded lights, and instead of a rather small central glow from the lights as seen on the right side, it can be seen that ALL the lens surface is lighted on the modded lights on the left (in this light switch position, only the upper and lower outer modules are lit:

SO - if you, like me, feel that BEING seen is as important as SEEING, you might want to consider "performance enhancing" yer RV lights as well as some of your other stuff...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #2

Nice job, I wonder if that aluminum paint would work.
Oldvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
Nice job, I wonder if that aluminum paint would work.
Anything that enlarges the internal reflective area is a plus - but the foil after scrunching it up and then unwadding it, makes MANY individual reflective "prisms" that catch, reflect and spread the light pattern out far better than any plain flat surface - I also use this same scheme on our RV outdoor porch light it also makes a big improvement in lighting - and best of all, it's just a short bit of work, and pennies in aluminum foil!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #4

Simple but effective mod good job & thanks for the idea !
Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a very cool, and simple, idea!! Thank you!
Sheila :)
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote