RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:23 PM   #1933

Gulf Streamers Club
Manifold looks good. I probably need to wrap my manifold also. And I like the lights you installed. Those should do the job. Looking forward to visiting when y'all make Yuma.

ron and pebbles

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #1934

An old motorcyclist trick for finding those tricky oil leaks (or any leak really) is talcum powder. I prefer a spray can of "foot powder". I used to use "Cruex" but can't find it anymore. Clean the affected area and then some and let dry. Spray the bejesus out of everything. Keep in mind that everything flows downhill so don't spare the uphill side. Run it, drive it, whatever it takes to make it leak a bit. Then inspect. Whatever it is will leave a great obvious black trail back to the source. When found then all it takes is a simple rinse with a water hose to get all the powder off.

Some folks have just flung baby powder all over and gotten results. I prefer the spray stuff as it doesn't just fly away with the breeze from the radiator fan. The brand Cruex I like we proved to stick to a motorcycle engine surprisingly well at up to 150 mph. Really!

GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Manifold looks good. I probably need to wrap my manifold also. And I like the lights you installed. Those should do the job. Looking forward to visiting when y'all make Yuma.

ron and pebbles
Stuff comes in 50í roll for $50.00 at O Reillyís. If your manifold looks like mine, I think yours is single cam 1800cc while mine is duo cam 2000cc. Donít buy any yet. I probably have enough left over to do yours. They donít give you anything for holding the tape in place. The sell and recommend stainless steel zip ties. I used tie wire.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Stuff comes in 50í roll for $50.00 at O Reillyís. If your manifold looks like mine, I think yours is single cam 1800cc while mine is duo cam 2000cc. Donít buy any yet. I probably have enough left over to do yours. They donít give you anything for holding the tape in place. The sell and recommend stainless steel zip ties. I used tie wire.
I know the Cruex, but I used it for crotch rot and athletes foot.

I suspect the leak is with the cam cover. But Iím afraid itís the seal at the end of the block thatís hidden behind the flywheel. The cam cover gasket has a large, half of a large egg size, rubber block that covers an open spot at the back of the motor only visible with a mirror. I tried three times to stop the leak and thought I had. Itís a severe pain in the butt to change out because of all of the extraneous stuff involved on top of the motor. Then Joes in Yuma did the same thing and said it was fixed and it wasnít. The work and attitude precludes me from ever recommend him for anything, 246 reasons why.

So I will get everything back together, power wash the motor, get it hot, and see if I can find where itís leaking, might have to wait to Yuma to fix it but at least know whatís up. The leak is substantial btw.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #1937

Today was a take it easy day. The sore rib seems to be irritated by a hiatal hernia. Makes fun not so much if you know what I mean. Plus our high temp was 40 today with a stiff north breeze all day long. So I was a wuss, sue me.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #1938

Gulf Streamers Club
I am familiar with the Geo needs fixin thing we have going on here. On the trip here from the homestead the speedometer needle fell off and is laying on the inside of the instrument bezel. I will trade my grimlins for your grimlins. Or I will meet you in the middle and buy you lunch.

ron and pebbles
Old 12-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I am familiar with the Geo needs fixin thing we have going on here. On the trip here from the homestead the speedometer needle fell off and is laying on the inside of the instrument bezel. I will trade my grimlins for your grimlins. Or I will meet you in the middle and buy you lunch.

ron and pebbles
On the speedometer, you can always just use a GPS and rely on the GPS displayed speed for your speedometer. Odometer should still work for maintenance interval issues.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #1940

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
On the speedometer, you can always just use a GPS and rely on the GPS displayed speed for your speedometer. Odometer should still work for maintenance interval issues.

Yes, thanks. That is what I have been doing. I do not use the speedometer because it is designed into a dark cave that is invisible to me in the day light. But something is making a loud noise like something grinding, metal to metal. Either the speedo itself or the cable. I am betting it is the speedo. Either way I have to disassemble everything to get to the speedo and its cable attachment. That is what I am looking at.

ron and pebbles
Old 12-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #1941

Well it looks like we wonít be heading for Yuma until the 26th. I went to Urgent Care today and I cracked a rib Sunday working on the Tracker.

It wonít stop me from getting done what I have to do to leave. But it will slow me down.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #1942

Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry to hear about the cracked rib Harvey. Painful I remember. I was reading this morning and ran across an article about a non-profit that is building housing for homeless in Mexico and using 3D printing to print houses in concrete. Their name is New Story. newstorycharity.org They are also looking for other ways to help with the housing for the poor of the world. Thought you might want to make sure they know about your house made of trash. Interesting story.

ron and pebbles
Old 12-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #1943
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey, I hoped you've given up standing on buckets. Being very height challenged I keep numerous stools of varying heights around at all times. My favorite is from Harbor Freight and frequently goes on sale for $19.99.

https://www.harborfreight.com/step-s...orm-66911.html

Itís about the height of a bucket, but much safer. Maybe you can ask Santa for one.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Harvey, I hoped you've given up standing on buckets. Being very height challenged I keep numerous stools of varying heights around at all times. My favorite is from Harbor Freight and frequently goes on sale for $19.99.

https://www.harborfreight.com/step-s...orm-66911.html

Itís about the height of a bucket, but much safer. Maybe you can ask Santa for one.
Now you tell me!!!!

Actually it was a balancing act for awhile, well, until it wasnít
Old 12-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #1945
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a real knack for injuries, Harvey. It must drive Glenda crazy! Have you thought about bubble wrap coveralls so you'd bounce instead of break? Well, or pop all the bubbles when you fall.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:50 AM   #1946

I use a bucket for a lot of projects. Because it's what was handy. No broken ribs yet. Even though I have 2 of those step stools. Maybe I need to have one everywhere I have a bucket setting.