Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #197

This morning the radiator hose saga continued. Farmersville Car Quest said the replacement hose didn't come in. So I went to the Wylie Autozone and asked for 1 3/4" X 13" flex radiator hose. After a couple of minutes I looked back where the young man had disappeared and he was searching through heater hose boxes.

The lady at the cash register suggested I go back and find it myself. I did. It worked great, problem solved. I ran the motor until it sat at 170 degrees without any evidence of leaks anywhere. Then my mechanic bud came by because I told him I wanted his opinion before I buttoned it up. He said it was good.

When I was installing the new chassis batteries the grab handle by the door broke. I was embarrassing. I went for a heckuva tumble, landed on some landscape stones, but the battery dented the grass without sustaining any damage.

This morning I picked up a stainless steel 18" handicap grab bar at a box store. I also grabbed a can of truck bed liner paint. Total was $27.00 with my VA card discount. I have two coats of paint on it and will put at least on one more in the morning before I install the new grab bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	149729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	149730  

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	149731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	149732  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #198

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harv,

You are a never ending source -- of entertainment and of information. I didn't know Rustoleum made truck bed liner paint in a can, and now I do. I'm betting it's pretty tough stuff if YOU are using it on the grab handle. Thanks! I'll remember that, I hope
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Harv,

You are a never ending source -- of entertainment and of information. I didn't know Rustoleum made truck bed liner paint in a can, and now I do. I'm betting it's pretty tough stuff if YOU are using it on the grab handle. Thanks! I'll remember that, I hope
Adopted son asked why I would paint a brushed stainless grab bar black.

"She wants it black."

End of that discussion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	149733  
Old 01-22-2017, 06:14 AM   #200

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
I like your replacement handle, as long as you find a solid base to connect it, that will pull up anyone that grabs onto it. It is always a challenge when new parts are defective.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Harvey,
I like your replacement handle, as long as you find a solid base to connect it, that will pull up anyone that grabs onto it. It is always a challenge when new parts are defective.
Frank
The original handle had been installed with screws, a couple of times. When it got loose on us I bolted it in going through the wall. That's the way this handle will be installed, I have the holes already drilled for it.

I would hate for an old person to fall when the handle break loose.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
I also grabbed a can of truck bed liner paint. Total was $27.00 with my VA card discount. I have two coats of paint on it and will put at least on one more in the morning before I install the new grab bar.
I used the truck bed liner paint on my cab steps about 6 years ago. Has help up well. Shows very little wear. Much better than original paint. It was down to bare metal in a couple of years.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
I used the truck bed liner paint on my cab steps about 6 years ago. Has help up well. Shows very little wear. Much better than original paint. It was down to bare metal in a couple of years.
That's good to hear Ron. Have you been enjoying the auction? I have some buds here who have the kinds of cars that shine there. Not my cup of tea, cars are like hammers, even the pretty ones are supposed to used often.

We're scheduled to get the new tires installed in the morning and will hopefully be on the road by lunch time. We decided to go through El Paso because Glenda hasn't ever been there. One time before we had an RV we left Camp Verde for Texas. Out side of Tucson the rev limiter kicked in at 87 mph passing some semis. We were in the 97 3500HD and when that motor popped backwards Glenda almost lost it. Then I explained that we were doing almost ninety and she appreciated the heads up. But when we got got to Las Cruces she was ready to head north for the better scenery so we never got to El Paso.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
That's good to hear Ron. Have you been enjoying the auction? I have some buds here who have the kinds of cars that shine there. Not my cup of tea, cars are like hammers, even the pretty ones are supposed to used often.

We're scheduled to get the new tires installed in the morning and will hopefully be on the road by lunch time. We decided to go through El Paso because Glenda hasn't ever been there. One time before we had an RV we left Camp Verde for Texas. Out side of Tucson the rev limiter kicked in at 87 mph passing some semis. We were in the 97 3500HD and when that motor popped backwards Glenda almost lost it. Then I explained that we were doing almost ninety and she appreciated the heads up. But when we got got to Las Cruces she was ready to head north for the better scenery so we never got to El Paso.
Auction was good on Thursday. But if I am going get a classic car or hot rod it has to be able to be driven daily. So I can go to breakfast with it.
I have driven through El Paso many times. But have never stopped.
Good luck with getting on the road.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #205

I've been through El Paso many times too Ron. I stopped once to sleep along I10. I had driven all night heading home outside of Los Angeles after working a month outside of Dallas. Just about daylight I woke up inches from the center divider doing about seventy. I guess the trash between the left lane and the divider woke me up. I got it under control and pulled over first safe opportunity. I crashed for an hour and then drove all the way home. That was back in the day when my bladder, the half gallon thermos of coffee, and the fuel tank on the pickup were all on the same cycle.

The handle is installed and feels like it is bolted to the chassis frame. It is solid and the one who must approve loves it.

It's a little sad to button down the metal cover over the motor. It's just eight bolts but there is that little nagging thought that I might have missed something. But one has to take a leap of faith and move on.

Jane is sitting outside of the house. The fifteen miles home was without incident and after dark. Tomorrow morning the new tires and some tidying up, on the road again.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	149810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	149811  

Name:	IMG_0147.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	149812  
Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #206

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Handle looks great, and even though you have second thoughts about battening down the engine cover, that is a good thing. Have safe travels, and above all else, enjoy.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #207

Winnebago Owners Club
Harv;
Great to see the progress and share the successes and repair of the shortcomings.

I see you are planning on Quartzite. Please consider a side trip for a few days to Yuma. Lloyd will be here. Tim, Joe, Janet and myself are looking forward to meeting Best Thing about Me and yourself. We would throw something on the grill and have a great visit.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #208

Let me second the thought Harv!

Join us in Yuma/Winterhaven! Would be fun to meet!

L.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Let me second the thought Harv!

Join us in Yuma/Winterhaven! Would be fun to meet!

L.
Cousin and her husband are in Yuma with their 1999 Dutch Star so we'll definitely be there. The mini meet and greet sounds like fun.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #210

Oh Wow! Make that "Oh Wow!" The day started off when I did my walk around the coach this morning and found antifreeze by the radiator, not a lot, just a small puddle. Best thing about me was concerned but I acted like it was nothing but a thing that I could fix.

After breakfast I went out to invesitigate the source of the antifreeze. I didn't put a hose clamp on the tubing going into the overflow reservoir. There is one now and the leak is a thing of the past.

We haven't left the house yet. It was about four o'clock this afternoon when best thing about me decided we should leave early in the morning. She's a wise woman.

The new tires are on. The guys didn't like the G rated new tires because the sidewall is stiffer. The size different between the 8R and 225 70 is very close. The drive home there was a little stiffer ride but I believe that was because the new tires have 105 psi vs the old F rated tires having 95 psi. We'll have a better report tomorrow evening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	149893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	149894