Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #2367

Harvey, The cats are adorable.

We have one cat the same color. They have a way of stealing your heart. You will come up with the right combinations of names. My cats make me laugh. They go in the cardboard cat house and sleep some. I call it the time out house.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 04:18 AM   #2368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
A little update here on the cats. They’re Glendas cats. Check out the photo.

Naming has became a problem for Miss Personality. Gidget morphed to Gadget and then we got to know her. I think Ratchet works best because she has chosen the tool bag Glenda keeps for her handy dandy tools. Every time we walk in to the little house Ratchet is in the tool bag All sleepy eyed. She’s still all personality covered with cuteness spiced with just a tad of mischievousness.

Ratchets the name, screwing around the game
Yup, not much getting done.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:28 AM   #2369

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Thanks Scot! Guess I'll need to transfer pix from iphone to PC, and go from there. Been meaning to ask... is your DS 4WD? If so, you have a rare bird!

Tommar, the drive axle has two sets of dually's, one on each side, a total of 4 wheels being driven. So that makes it a 4WD, right?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #2370

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Hey Harv is that oak you’re milling and if so (or not) what are you doing with the lumber? Just curious, milled a lot of Doug fir, cedar, and ponderosa pine out this way over the years but never had a straight enough piece of oak to play with it.

And by the way, apropos of nothing, we had roasted radishes and sautéed radish greens out of the garden tonight with my secret scampi recipe (which is no big secret - hard to mess that up) and it was quite good. Also a treat to walk out to the DW’s garden and pick a salad.
Bud has a portable bandsaw mill. He mostly does oak, sycamores, pecan, walnuts. The biggest log he’s milled was a 25,000 Lb oak from the richest neighborhood of Dallas. Furniture maker made it into a huge bookended conference table that was take upstairs via crane and major street shut down.

Ive been collecting eastern red cedar logs for the new house and big entryway. I like working with it.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #2371

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Yup, not much getting done.
Two window ac units installed including three new electrical circuits from the outdoor breaker box I installed for the RVs. These were real fun going into the attic and then down through the walls to new remodeling boxes.

Neighbor brought over the cardboard house for the cats, i didnt have to do that. Today is insulating the attic. Feel like temps for the next week, 100s.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:33 AM   #2372

Gulf Streamers Club
Pretty weather here, clear and dry. But 103 Tuesday.

ron and pebbles
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Tommar, the drive axle has two sets of dually's, one on each side, a total of 4 wheels being driven. So that makes it a 4WD, right?
Now I get it! So I guess my DS is 4WD too!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #2374

A while back, I posted about my headlights. On the way home from visiting with Harv and Glenda, we ran out of daylight. Of course, that's because both Harv and me were jawing like crazy and time flew! Anyway, after dark, it was like driving using a couple of candles to drive with. So yesterday, I had my RV guy install the new "euro style" headlights made for a Ford Bronco. Also bought LED bulbs. Apparently a 1998 DS used Ford Bronco headlight assemblies.
So, I watched them do it. First, due to a misunderstanding, they installed the halogen bulbs. They aimed them and I was not impressed with the brightness and at that point, I wandered outside and asked if those were the LEDs... the guy was using the halogens that came with the headlights and didn't realize that I had bought Hikari LEDs. So he installed the LEDs and tested the aim. They were 3-4 times brighter than the halogens. And they look cool! Haven't driven at night with them, but they can't be worse than the old headlights! So... haven't taken the "after" photos yet but when I do, I'll post them. Cost: $65, total for the new headlights, bought on eBay. LEDs: $40 bought on Amazon. Install: $158 But really a fair price considering it was a 3-4 hour job and two guys.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #2375

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
A while back, I posted about my headlights. On the way home from visiting with Harv and Glenda, we ran out of daylight. Of course, that's because both Harv and me were jawing like crazy and time flew! Anyway, after dark, it was like driving using a couple of candles to drive with. So yesterday, I had my RV guy install the new "euro style" headlights made for a Ford Bronco. Also bought LED bulbs. Apparently a 1998 DS used Ford Bronco headlight assemblies.
So, I watched them do it. First, due to a misunderstanding, they installed the halogen bulbs. They aimed them and I was not impressed with the brightness and at that point, I wandered outside and asked if those were the LEDs... the guy was using the halogens that came with the headlights and didn't realize that I had bought Hikari LEDs. So he installed the LEDs and tested the aim. They were 3-4 times brighter than the halogens. And they look cool! Haven't driven at night with them, but they can't be worse than the old headlights! So... haven't taken the "after" photos yet but when I do, I'll post them. Cost: $65, total for the new headlights, bought on eBay. LEDs: $40 bought on Amazon. Install: $158 But really a fair price considering it was a 3-4 hour job and two guys.
So please report back after you’ve driven at night with this arrangement
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:19 AM   #2376

Also interested in how they work out for you at night, but I do have a question regarding the install. Why did it take two guys, guys familiar with this type of work to install two headlights of the same style/size in your RV?!?
I replaced the headlights in my 2001 Dutch Star. Mine uses Bronco headlight assemblies as well, don't have the year in front of me right now, but it took me, one guy, who hasn't done it before on an RV less than TWO hours to install and aim. Installation of the headlight relays and associated wiring took another 3 hours or so, but the R & R of the headlights themselves went quick. for Aiming, the originals were properly aimed, just dim. I parked the coach outside of the RV garage, turned on the headlights, placed sticky notes on the closed garage door where the old ones were aimed, R & R'd the headlights, and adjusted them to the same sticky notes. Done . . . less than two hours. I'm not saying the labor COST ($158.00) was high, actually it's pretty reasonable, but I just can't figure out why it took so LONG for them to do it . . .

Quote:
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #2377

Scot and R. Wold, yep, I drove the MH last night and while the driving experience is much better and much brighter, the headlights are aimed about 10-15 degrees too low. Otherwise, they closely mimic halogens... no scatter and they appear focused correctly. So, since I paid to have them install them, I will get them to aim the headlights higher. They won't charge for that. Scot, as for the length of time, most of the install was done by just one guy who was new at the shop. Since I only ordered the headlights, the other parts of the headlight assemblies were re-used and re-installed. So the turn signals, etc. had to be removed to install the headlights. Total time in the shop was about three hours. I wish I felt well enough to do jobs like this. In the past, I sure would tackle it. I get tired so easily! Also importantly, I don't have a place to work on the MH as the storage facility is dirt/gravel, no water, etc.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #2378

Went over to buds to grab the keys for the Porsche. They were milling some oak. Bud will be in his eighties by the time he gets to making that beam into lumber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	047440C1-CBB1-4F96-96F3-135329AD3FA7.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	603.8 KB
ID:	288681  
Old 06-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #2379

Ive never put up a video before here.

There are three of them, shortest one is where we can see neighbor lining up the t-post. The pipe is to keep the t-post from bending under pressure and is a guide for depth.

The second one is of driving it in with the skid steer, keep in mind there is about 1200 lbs of dirt in the bucket thats helping.

The last one shows how we handle driving when the tractor cant.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #2380

That didnt work.