RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #2437

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Harvey, not sure of the size of the portable welder engine, but it may be as simple as a new ring job, hone out the cylinder, or bore it 30 over, and a new piston and rings, and you are back in business! Or a replacement engine is a possibility! Sounds like it is letting compression past the rings and letting it into the crankcase and forcing the oil out!
Watch Mustie1 on YouTube, and you can see how easy it is to do! He is a master of small engine repair, and very easy to watch and explains everything very well!
Or just find a good small engine repair shop near you!
Did you ever get the Tower for the "line of site" internet up?
Rail!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #2438

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Harvey, not sure of the size of the portable welder engine, but it may be as simple as a new ring job, hone out the cylinder, or bore it 30 over, and a new piston and rings, and you are back in business! Or a replacement engine is a possibility! Sounds like it is letting compression past the rings and letting it into the crankcase and forcing the oil out!
Watch Mustie1 on YouTube, and you can see how easy it is to do! He is a master of small engine repair, and very easy to watch and explains everything very well!
Or just find a good small engine repair shop near you!
Did you ever get the Tower for the "line of site" internet up?
Rail!
Welder is a 1987 Miller Legend with an 18 horse Onan for power. I bought it used about ten years ago and have about a grand’s worth of repairs over the years on the electrical. The motor has always had an oil use issue. But the other day it started blowing it out really bad. The consensus is it needs rings and a front oil seal. The only mechanicin’ I’ve enjoyed involved small blocks and circle tracks with intersections. I can do the other but it isn’t a fun thing for me. But it looks like I might work on it. But then I might not.

The other day I picked up a Miller Max Star. The only time I used it I was running 90 amps and 1/8th inch E6010 rod on 115 volts. It’s a real horse in a very small box that runs a great bead. Tomorrow I’ve got my physical with my new doc. On the way home I’m going to stop by Harbor Freight and grab one of their generators. The combination of the generator and the Max Star gives me portable capability. In fact all of the portability I need. This way I can explain to friends that the old welder is dead and they’re going to have to find a real welder for their project.

Today was one of those days that you wouldn’t write home about if you were that kind of person. The Olds was supposed to go to the tote your note lot. I was there when Glenda called and said the battery was dead in the Olds. Not a big thing because evidently when she was cleaning the car she had left something on the battery was dead. Ran home and put the charger to work and took a nap. Got up from the nap and the battery wasn’t taking a charge. Off to Walmart with the battery where they swapped it out for a new one, five year warranted battery is supposed to last longer than two years. We didn’t get much done when we got home because by then it was about five. No days are really wasted but this one could be in the real close to a wasted day category. The dealer was the only one who drove the car and he offered $500.00 more than the other guys.

So tomorrow I do the physical with the doc first thing and then hopefully we’ll get productive. This week the feel likes are supposed to be high 100’s Should be fun.

The antenna is still in the figuring it all out bin. So many other things have been jumping ahead of it in line. It’ll happen.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:49 PM   #2439
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey, do you ever feel like 2 new "gotta dos" get added to your list for every job you finish? I sure do! This morning it was a coyote only 20 feet from our fence that is partially down thanks to all the construction work going on. Of course, Lily takes off after it with me screaming and chasing them both. Thankfully she stopped and came back to me.

So now job #1 is getting the fence and gates back up. Two steps forward, one step back.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:09 AM   #2440

Always some thing to do. Even if you are live in a RV. Some days it;s hard to stay a head of the list.
Especially if weeding gardens is on the list.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 AM   #2441

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Harvey, do you ever feel like 2 new "gotta dos" get added to your list for every job you finish? I sure do! This morning it was a coyote only 20 feet from our fence that is partially down thanks to all the construction work going on. Of course, Lily takes off after it with me screaming and chasing them both. Thankfully she stopped and came back to me.

So now job #1 is getting the fence and gates back up. Two steps forward, one step back.
Lilly is a tad small to be a coyote hunter dog. Wyoming they have coyote hunting dogs. What the dog will do is chase a coyote until the coyote chases back. The dog will continue to bother the coyote until within range of the hunter. Scott was amazed by this then he got home. One of the rescues he ended up with is a natural coyote hunter. Scott couldn’t believe it. Kaiser is German Shepard size and instinctively teases the coyote into range.

Watch out for the heat and I wouldn’t recommend leaving at this point. Covid appears to be just starting.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:23 AM   #2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Always some thing to do. Even if you are live in a RV. Some days it;s hard to stay a head of the list.
Especially if weeding gardens is on the list.
This morning it’s medical physical, just coffee this morning. Then it’s Harbor Freight and Lowes. Breakfast and then help the kid with his fence. The hiccup is the heat index for the rest of the week, 105º to 110º, that will suck the go juice right out of you.

One of the neighbors has a 9-10 year old boy that’s a toot. I took them some cherry tomatoes. I told him to tell the family the kittens were laying eggs. He loved sharing the bs. They’re way too smart these days.

I still smile when I think of you. Good friends are smile generators.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #2443
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Lilly is a tad small to be a coyote hunter dog. Wyoming they have coyote hunting dogs. What the dog will do is chase a coyote until the coyote chases back. The dog will continue to bother the coyote until within range of the hunter. Scott was amazed by this then he got home. One of the rescues he ended up with is a natural coyote hunter. Scott couldn’t believe it. Kaiser is German Shepard size and instinctively teases the coyote into range.

Watch out for the heat and I wouldn’t recommend leaving at this point. Covid appears to be just starting.
Lily thinks she's a coyote hunter, but in reality she's just a natural blonde and has the mentality of those jokes we all tell. She thinks she's invincible - all 8 pounds of her.

[ Moderator Edit ]

I’ve decided we are here for the duration of the virus crisis. There aren’t many safer places to be. AND, it was only 99° here today with no humidity. You may have more trouble with the heat than we do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96D59349-8B74-4833-8B7D-B42242ED1E53.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	291570  
Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #2444

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
[ Moderator Edit ]
Lilly will be a snack for coyote, be very careful!
We had a 3 legged 150 pound German Shepherd dog that would run into a whole pack of coyote's and send the fur flying, along with the coyote's! He put the fear into them, and when we would see them on occasion they would be looking over their shoulder, for that bad ass GSD! He flat did not allow any dogs in his turf! Except "Gilligan" our English sheep dog, she was there first, and the two of them were a force! She weigh'd in at 100 lbs herself, and was a real bitch, and would run Cassidy of his food bowl, about two, maybe three time's, then, he would let out a growl and a bark, and that was it, he put the law down!
They were both great dog's, and we had no trouble with people stealing stuff that is for sure!
Even after they were both gone, the coyotes never came around! Rail!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:08 AM   #2445

Barb, 8 lbs dogs are lots of fun. Sassy is still in training to be an attack dog. So far I have gotten her to lick you until you put her down. Then jump on your legs for another chance to do it some more.
Lily is a cutie.
Sassy.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #2446
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[ Moderator Edit]

Ron - Sassy is the perfect name for your little hair ball. You can see it in her eyes. Who owns who? Lily is convinced that I belong to her. I bet Sassy is the same.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #2447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Harv, unfortunately, I think you'r right re: Covid. Cases of Covid here in Central Texas are skyrocketing! And.... yesterday Dr. Fauci announced that there's a new swine flu strain circulating in China. NBC News later confirmed this. The Chinese government responded by saying "everything is under control." This sounds familiar.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:26 AM   #2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
[Moderator Edit]

Ron - Sassy is the perfect name for your little hair ball. You can see it in her eyes. Who owns who? Lily is convinced that I belong to her. I bet Sassy is the same.
Sassy owns everything. But is a very sweet dog. She is a Shih Tzu Imperial. The breed you see at dog shows. But being a typical Shih Tzu. The new people are the best people.
One of the best explanation of Shih Tzu's I have seen. If Burglars came to your house. It would invite them in and show them where everything is hidden. No treats needed.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:37 AM   #2449
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Life with Jane

Keep in mind gun discussions are not allowed per the rule below.
Quote:
General discussions, statements and images that are political in nature or reference general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
Thanks
Steve as Site Staff
Old 07-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #2450

Well, there went the neighborhood . . .

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote