Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice rig, fun write ups. Keep 'em coming.

I had to read 'the best thing about me' a few times to figure you what you were saying. Maybe my wife shouldn't read this thread...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #16

I still don't have the report back on the oil and antifreeze analysis. I talked to the mechanic tonight and he thinks we are going to find things okay so I'm going to make my next actions based on a positive report.

I need some information of sources for the pyrometers for the diesel pusher. It's got to have about forty foot of lead to reach from the dash to the motor, on the 35' coach.

I'm going to also be looking at what caused the a/c compressor on the motor to throw the belt within hours of the purchase. I really like dash air even though coach air worked great using the generator.

So if you have any pointers or ideas on these topics I would appreciate your input. 1993 Winnebago Vectra 35 RQ 5.9 Allison six speed
Old 09-13-2016, 05:00 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
"I'm looking for a toad. The manual says the coach's hitch has a 3,500 lb limit. What is the best lightweight toad for old girls like Jane?"

I have a 82 PA 454 gasser and My Toad is a 99 deville concours, towed on a KarKaddySS. Pulls just fine.
Tim
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5.../IMG_08851.JPG
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #18

If no news is good news I've had about all the good news I can take when it comes to the oil and antifreeze analysis.

Today was infusion day for the best thing about me. Every other one includes a sit down with the oncologist. Today was one of those. Best thing about me is doing great but one of the potential issues with Herceptin is heart problems. She had her electrocardiograph last week and the news was that things might be a problem. It was a toss up between not having an infusion today and waiting four weeks to see if numbers change or going ahead and seeing what the tests show in three weeks. She got the infusion but it is worrying. The way I see it and the oncologist agreed is the Herceptin is rat poison if the Her2 receptors are rats. Without the Herceptin we are back to the 22 with rat shot picking them off as we see them.

This afternoon we decided to get started doing what has to be done to have Jane on the road next week if that is possible. We pulled the bed and all that entails and moved that stuff into the sofa area of the coach. The next thing to come out was the metal cover over the motor. The first thing that hit me between the eyeballs was the cracked exhaust manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	138887  
Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #19

I can fix that, old welder's mantra about the crack of dawn and broken hearts being a challenge. Plus it gives me a chance to plumb for the pyrometer without worrying about metal finding its way into the turbo. The opportunity for broken bolts etc is a given. But we will do what we have to do.

Dan mentioned the different injector pump so I grabbed a photo of Jane's for him to look at.

I hoped that I could remove the front part of the engine compartment cover for easier access to the front of the motor. It looks like that isn't the way the Spartan/Winnebago Gods wanted it to be. I have a half of a dozen or so ways to circumvent their wisdom and will cut a window for access that will include a cover for the new window.

On the way in to home tonight I stopped by a box store and picked up almost seventy dollars worth of plastic tarps. I get involved in my work and seem to always be able to find a way to wear at least part of it as proof of my skills and enthusiasm. We have a doctor's appointment in the morning and after that it will be all about making the parts of Jane that can't get dirty for any reason reasonably dirty Harvey proof. Then the fun begins.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	564
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	138888  
Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #20

My prayers are with you and your wife on her treatments. If you don't get the oil analysis back, I'd just go ahead and change the oil and filters. Keep up your posts. They are informative and very upbeat!
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:07 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Harvey, Good luck with Jane, and am looking forward to your fixes!
Rail!
Old 09-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Cracked manifolds are a know problem for the Cummins, you might want to looks at the upgraded manifolds. The fix has a slip joint in it so that there is room for heat expansion/ retraction. This helps with the cracking problem.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Harvey,
Cracked manifolds are a know problem for the Cummins, you might want to looks at the upgraded manifolds. The fix has a slip joint in it so that there is room for heat expansion/ retraction. This helps with the cracking problem.
Frank
A new exhaust manifold is on the parts list to order tomorrow. They're not that expensive.

How many miles you have on the 2003? I assume it's a Duramax. My 2003 is a 5500 named Lucy, 270,000 miles, all with a wild man behind the wheel.

This will be my office for a couple of days. Other people's work will keep me busy until late afternoon tomorrow. A man has to do what a man has to do, even when he's old enough to remember when we had dirt and water and no one knew we could mix them together and have fun.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	480
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	139007  
Old 09-15-2016, 06:08 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
My duramax is low mileage, it only has 120,000 miles on her, I got her when she had 30,000 miles on her. Over half the miles have been towing.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #25

Harvey
Good to see you posting your adventures with motor home repairs.
Hope to see you sometime this coming winter.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #26

Doggone Ron, we seem to meet up in the nicest of places.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #27

I'm in a holding pattern, no results from Holt Cat about the oil and antifreeze analysis yet. The source for the parts is going to bring everything at once so I'm stuck there too. I ordered new exhaust manifold, pyrometer kit, filters, hoses, oil, antifreeze, radiator cap, etc.

So I've been working on the storage compartments and lower body panels. For some silly reason this software will only allow me to post one picture at a time, love it.

What has happened is the adhesive on the double sided tape that hold the ABS to the skeleton has ran out of stikum. So I have used Gorilla white duct tape to keep things together on the last trip.

This is the driver's side panel behind the front tire.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	415
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	139233  
Old 09-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #28

As you can see the panel wants to flop in the breeze. And the last thing I want is to find a replacement panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	377
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	139234