Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #2997

Wow you and Glenda are making great progress. It is starting to look really good. The roof looks amazing. Great job!
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #2998

Hey Harvey, I found a video of some kids that built their own building and finished the outside. Been following them for about a year on other projects, but then they bought 20 acres in Northern Idaho and built their shop like you and Glenda. Pretty much by their own.

Thought you'd get a kick knowing you're not the only ones doing it.

https://youtu.be/8GecohlPrcQ
Old 09-30-2021, 07:12 AM   #2999

That's us if we lost forty years and had computer skills.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:13 AM   #3000

Oh, and the pounds, lost at least fifty pounds a piece, can't forget the rounding up instead of rounding down.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:06 PM   #3001

Looking good

Catching up on back posts. Good amt. of progress. Just think about all the $ you are saving by building it your self. Keep the pictures coming.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:59 AM   #3002

I can have real problems with focusing on occasion. Make that more often than not, LOL. Yesterday was a great example of that. I had to cut a piece of siding to fit around the door. Sheets cost about $60.00, $4.00 per linear ft, 15 ft long. I had it all marked out for the cutting when I did a once more look at, measure twice cut once defined. It was upside down and backwards, easy to do when the focus button is loose and not connecting right.

So I re-marked it making double doggone sure it was right this time. I made the cut but did it wrong side of the line, OOPS! I’ll be able to save part of the sheet for somewhere else. 1/4” can be the difference between just right and perfectly wrong. Then there’s the always an issue header trim removal to get the piece into place fiasco. By the time I got it into place the storm hit and it was all hands on deck getting the panel secured enough to survive the wind and rain while collecting tools and getting everything out of the weather.

They’re saying we will have some workable weather until late afternoon. Then the storms will be here through tomorrow. I will set up some stuff that I can do in the dry under the new roof which wan’t an option just a couple of days ago.

Sam, there’s no way we could afford this without the bargains we lucked into and doing all the work ourselves. I’m looking forward to getting the barn dried in so we can start the framing of the apartment. It will fun to work with the shiplap interior walls and Smartboard lap siding for the exterior walls.

Glenda got her booster yesterday, I’m a Moderna man so I will wait until they clear me to get mine.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #3003

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey,

I have those same problems but thankfully my materials aren’t as pricey. When I get into a mistake funk I know it’s time to go do something else, many times that’s a nap.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:57 PM   #3004

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Harvey,

I have those same problems but thankfully my materials aren’t as pricey. When I get into a mistake funk I know it’s time to go do something else, many times that’s a nap.
I've got that song memorized.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:33 PM   #3005

Price of materials.

Friends from our camping club got an estimate to replace their small deck. The estimate came in at $40.000. Forty thousand dollars. No way. DH has a cousin that is a contractor. I will pass the information on to them. Many times i say to DH that I am glad we did a lot of repairs/remodeling some years ago. Wood was much cheaper.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #3006

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6253.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	344950

I can’t explain why one Iris plant has decided the time is ripe. But here it is 2nd of October spectacular.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #3007

Name:	IMG_6254.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	344951
I moved the Arc table from Miller into the barn so I can build the pieces that are going to make the making of detail pieces easier.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #3008

Life with Jane

Name:	IMG_6256.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	344952
I’ve taken of ton of photos from this angle over the last three years of the progress. I know it seems like I do an hours work and call it a day but that’s not the way it is.

For instance, you see the first rafter beam of the apartment adjacent to the barn section. I’m making the transition the way I’ve done a lot of things. I’m modifying the first panel going north and the first panel going south. The modification involves trimming half of an inch off of a lip. Then bending the remainder and hemming it, 35’ each piece.

I’m not the man I used to be. The hemming is a three step process involving muscles that I haven’t used in years. And no, it doesn’t involve wiggling my nose. Even though I do that too. I have another hour of struggling to get the first one done. Then at least three hours to do the other. Back in the day both would be done in an hour or less.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #3009

You can see the panel needing modification on the sawhorses, white strip in the photo.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #3010

Looking good!

In this heat and humidity, one hour of work is equal to 4 hours!

Keep the updates coming, enjoy reading them every day.
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote