Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Harvey, you may want to look for a source other than a dead critter. In this climate that stuff dries out and loses it's perfume really quick.

I was getting an odor from my black tank vent whenever I had 2 ceiling vents open and one was in exhaust mode. Installing one of those Cyclone vent caps solved it for $20, some Dicor and an hour on the roof. Walmart sells them in the automotive department.

It turned out the odor was from the black tank vent. I had lost the cover and then replaced it with a universal that's isn secured with spring tabs on the inside of the pipe. I pushed it down and inadvertently closed off the vent.

The new cyclone vent came in yesterday and will go on in the next couple of days.

I found and checked the cheater vent under the sink. It was okay.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #296

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
One of the constants of doing this rehab thing as your thing is how far do you take it? Take replacing the gas tank in Lil Blue while repairing some of the rust damage to the body and installing the receiver hitch for hauling the bikes. The original tank lasted sixteen years. I won't have Lil Blue sixteen years from now. But since I have the stuff and can do it, heck, new gas tank gets two coats of bedliner.

The drum beat in the back of my head is "three years". But heck, I'll be as old as Gordon will be in three years, same age now, chances are most likely will be the same age then. So I better think six years since my years are now Gordon years.

Then there's the old always in trouble part of me with projects like this. I could build a trick set of bumpers using bent pipe, I can bend pipe. But, three years, well, six years........

The attached picture is 1" schedule forty pipe bent by me and powder coated by an artist at Quality Powder Coating in Dallas.
Harvey - we are getting older but are not old. I measure the passing of time with naps. I try to get several thousand naps in while the earth passes around the sun once. If I had known then what I know now I would have listened to my mom when she said go have a nap. I would now be half as old. Then we would both still be younger than we are now.

Good work on Blue. Great idea to build it to last. 6 (12,000 naps) is a good start but I think adding a fudge factor of 2 or 3 would be a better bet. Unless you plan on trading Blue for something else.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Harvey - we are getting older but are not old. I measure the passing of time with naps. I try to get several thousand naps in while the earth passes around the sun once. If I had known then what I know now I would have listened to my mom when she said go have a nap. I would now be half as old. Then we would both still be younger than we are now.

Good work on Blue. Great idea to build it to last. 6 (12,000 naps) is a good start but I think adding a fudge factor of 2 or 3 would be a better bet. Unless you plan on trading Blue for something else.
The IRV2 gremlin is right now as my fingers are moving choking on the perfect reply. Perfection can't be duplicated, double doggone darn. You would have loved it.

My perspective on napping has changed because of exposure to Gordon. I did it. I just didn't know it was a sacred thing and to be appreciated as such.

We will probably have Lil Blue for many years. Big Blue was bought new and has almost 200,000. Lucy was purchased new a year later and is in between 270 and 280,000. Some people change vehicles like shirts. We're more of the parka for life types.

Best thing about me found the world's best ketchup yesterday. It's perfect on breakfast tacos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	154983  
Old 03-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #298

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
"Best thing about me found the world's best ketchup yesterday. It's perfect on breakfast tacos."

Harvey, check out where that is made? Good stuff!! Rail!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
"Best thing about me found the world's best ketchup yesterday. It's perfect on breakfast tacos."

Harvey, check out where that is made? Good stuff!! Rail!
I think it's made in Southern California and the neighbors hate it because of the fumes. There was something in the news awhile back about maybe moving to north Texas and the NIMB's were having a fit.

I never tried it because I assumed it was another Louisiana hot sauce thing and I like bite, not sour. This stuff has good bite.

Last night I fit up a concept on the receiver hitch under Lil Blue. That led to the mind wrapping up a good idea. So today I will hopefully do the thing and Lil Blue will be on the road or just about thereabouts.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #300

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
That sauce is from Thailand originally, but it could be imported thru Ca. or remanufactured there! Sriracha is a city outside of Bangkok!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #301

Today was one of what I call "a Lil Blue bloody knuckle day". That's one of those days were you feel so lucky that you tear up your hand knocking on wood.

The new hitch mount made the already difficult job of installing the new tank, let's say, "more interesting". The last hose clamp to be installed was the one on the tank to the filler neck. I had about sixteen inches of extensions on the quarter inch drive to reach it. Once the hoses and electrical connections were all done it went in like it was supposed to do.

Then it was putting in a couple of gallons of gas to see if everything was hooked up. I expected that it would start for a couple of seconds and then die until the air was out of the fuel line. Instead she instantly lit up and was fine from then on. I took her out for a ten mile run finishing up with a top off of the tank, keep in mind the reason for the new tank was the old one leaked if filled over half full.

I've since put about twenty five miles on her and haven't seen or smelled any gas leak. What was really kewel was the vacuum sound when I removed the filler cap at the gas station.

The photo shows the old bicycle rack in the new receiver hitch. We really go lucky on this one. Tomorrow the plastic cover over the stock bumper goes on and we're done with that part of the fix her up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0678.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	155495  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #302

Looking good Harvey!

This would be a good time to fabricate a off road bumper for the rear,,,, with a couple tow points! (for you to tow others out of course)

L.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Looking good Harvey!

This would be a good time to fabricate a off road bumper for the rear,,,, with a couple tow points! (for you to tow others out of course)

L.
Ain't got time for the play stuff Lloyd. But if you look close you will see two D rings flopping on each end of the receiver hitch.

This morning adopted son mentioned that his schedule had been torn inside up etc, trying to figure out how to take advantage of the time to get some unscheduled stuff done.

"How about the H beam for the dock?" I asked.

Nothing but a thing, two pieces of 18 lb per foot H beam 18' long installed by a 68 year and 55 year old. I said at least a dozen times, "I hope when you're my age some young pup takes you out and works you like a dawg." He laughs at that.

We used the tractor to transport the beams down to the pond and place them on the dike. But moving them down and putting them in place was done without any machinery, come alongs, block and tackles, etc. It wasn't as hard as it sounds.

The 4" pipe posts are approximately 12' apart. Grade was shot with the laser level (Hilti). Then the two cross pieces (3 X 3 X 6') were welded into place.

H beam was maneuvered down the bank to the first pair of posts. Then the two of us lifted up that end onto the cross piece. Figure the H beam at 330 lbs so one end should be just heavy for two men, even if one of them is old enough to remember when we had dirt and water, no one knew we could mix them and have fun.

Then adopted son got into place at the far end posts with a halter rope attached to his end of the H beam. I pushed the H beam down the bank using the cross piece welded to the post as a fulcrum. My end of the H beam was neutral weight when I got to nine feet into the gap between the posts. Then I had to push down as adopted son lifted up with his halter rope as I pushed the H beam to him. Once he got it on his cross piece then it was a matter of sliding the puppy into place. Second beam went in just like the first and squaring it all off was easy. Adopted son left to do real work and I got to weld it all up.

Now if it rains as expected this weekend and the pond fills up, we won the getting H beams into place game.

(Orange paint mark on posts is pond full of water mark)

For those wondering why such a topic would be on Jane's story, she nor Lil Blue was touched today. And adopted son can take the dock from here. He just needed to the old man's input on this part. And when we're out and about living the dream I won't have to worry about Adopted son tackling this on his own.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	585.4 KB
ID:	155624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Size:	600.0 KB
ID:	155625  

Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #304

Good job

Your story and your picture look good. Once in a while you have a terrific day.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:23 AM   #305

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looks like you had a good day with your son.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #306

I finally took some photos of Lil Blue with her finished pantaloons.

Aluminum diamond plate gives her a custom look and most importantly, it hides the rotted out rocker panels. The rust is pretty well confined to the rockers and she has a full frame which means the rust is a visual issue and not a structural one. Then there's the cost, $100.00 for the two panels versus $1,500.00 or so for conventional body shop repair and paint.

Buds bent me the pieces and left them an inch long. I trimmed them to fit and then welded on some ends. I used shaver rivets, the ones used to repair Airstreams for the installation. They are installed with a pop rivet tool but look like a real rivet.

And just for Lloyd, the floating D rings for pulling stuckers on the new receiver hitch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	156072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	156073  

Old 03-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #307

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks great Harvey. Think you may need bigger D- rings. Those other vehicles can get really stuck.

Went out to see the Borrego Springs Art today. Really nice work and worth the time and effort to see. Thanks for the heads up Harvey.

Managed to tip over the bike while driving out to view the sculptures. Going to have some work on trying to polish out some scratches.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #308

Little blue, little D rings.

Oh I hate the bike falling thing, tough on the pride. About Christmas of 67 I was in Washington State for the US Army. Light snow on the road but I insisted on riding the bike across base. I had it under control when it comes to being cool until I stopped at the stop sign. The stop sign was where the rest of the outfit was in formation, watching. Came to a stop, then the three point, two tires with one foot on the pavement, didn't work. Went down like a rookie, worst case of splits ever.

One of the most amazing things at the art work was where the prospector has his pan working for gold. The bottom of the pan was covered with loose change, lot of Canadian quarters too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	84B98F0B-17FE-4CD1-9D06-81EE6DA6D786.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	156076