Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #3165

Harv: I recently "cut the cord" re: TV. For years, I had been using Dish Network. But the prices were going up, up, and up! So about 4 months ago, I switched to YouTube TV. The DW fought the switch tooth and nail, but now both of us are smiling and I have not looked back. YouTube TV is about half the cost of Dish! The only channel that YouTube lacks is the Weather Channel. There are other options for Internet-based TV such as Fubo, Hulu, etc. but I chose Youtube because it has streaming local channels, the most comprehensive channel lineup, unlimited DVR, and a good interface. Very glad you've solved your Internet problem. I remember seeing that monstrous antenna! Someday, maybe all rural areas will have Internet access!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 06:20 AM   #3166

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6840.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	350934
Yesterday was all about getting the Smart Board material and getting the ceiling and south wall foamed.

The wrap gives us a good idea of the size of the apartment and porches.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #3167

Name:	IMG_6848.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	350935

As you can see, one man show is more than just stand up. There’s ladder work involved. The installer works by himself.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:29 AM   #3168

Name:	IMG_6847.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	350936

It’s kind of interesting about materials and these times. For instance I filled up the truck at Sam’s in Sherman, $261.9. 7 miles north straight up the same highway at a major intersection where the prices are always the lowest, $2.90’s. It’s been like that for a week.

Everyone has told me the 6” SmartBoard wasn’t available anywhere, local lumber had all I wanted so I picked up 100 16’ lap siding pieces and the 1” X 4” SmartBoard trim required.

So I now have everything in house that I need to have the apartment and barn dried in before leaving middle of January for Yuma.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:32 AM   #3169

We didn’t get our modem from Verizon yesterday. Neighbor did. We ran speed tests.

Us: less than three down and less than two up 9:00 pm

Them: 56 down, 8 up

FedEx, we gotta talk.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #3170

Gulf Streamers Club
Checked speed again this morning. Verizon jetpack Yuma AZ. .49 down, .61 up. Very slow.

Barn is looking great. Is that SmartBoard an engineered wood product?

ron and pebbles
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #3171

Harv, did you go with closed cell or open cell? How many inches? We found that closed cell is about twice as effective as open cell. That's what we used recently when we redid the barn next to the shop into an 1100 sq foot house. Nice and toasty, with minimal heat, and the closed cell filled all the small gaps in the old construction. Not cheap though, nor is it inexpensive!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:02 PM   #3172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Harv, did you go with closed cell or open cell? How many inches? We found that closed cell is about twice as effective as open cell. That's what we used recently when we redid the barn next to the shop into an 1100 sq foot house. Nice and toasty, with minimal heat, and the closed cell filled all the small gaps in the old construction. Not cheap though, nor is it inexpensive!

We've went with the closed cell, 1-1/2". It's our first line of defense. Almost $9,000.00 so far. We plan to go to the open cell for the walls and ceiling of the apartment when we get that far.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:55 PM   #3173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
We've went with the closed cell, 1-1/2". It's our first line of defense. Almost $9,000.00 so far. We plan to go to the open cell for the walls and ceiling of the apartment when we get that far.

Money well spend in my opinion! Barndamenium is looking GREAT!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:21 AM   #3174

First thing this morning I checked internet speed, 52 down, 6.5 up. It’s a whole new world out there for us here. The Verizon LTE Internet is truly plug and play. The old line of sight broadband with their single digit speeds is a thing of the past. Within minutes of new service up and running I made the call.

We are in a drought here in north Texas. Record heat yesterday and expected again today. 80º today, maybe higher, then 53º tomorrow if the weather gawd’s decide to agree with the weather people.

I’m still working on the eave finishing up. I made a couple of tools yesterday to make it easier hopefully. It’s one of those things where we concentrated on getting the panels up while we had the help and now it’s about taking care of the details.

Name:	IMG_6853.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	351103 This is what it looked like yesterday morning.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:27 AM   #3175

Name:	IMG_6858.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	351104
I just took this photo this morning. Work is messy. In the forefront you can see the SmartBoard siding and trim. You can also see the chop saw for cutting the steel studs along with the two bundles of 6” steel studs, one is of the studs, the other is bottom and top plates.

It’s getting interesting.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:30 AM   #3176

Life with Jane

Name:	IMG_6859.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	351105

Drove over a hundred miles one way in the rain last year to pick up the steels studs. It was a good move, I paid less than a quarter of what they are going for now.

We decided yesterday that the porch ceiling will be 8’ 6” and the ceiling in the apartment will 9’.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #3177

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, it's all coming together nicely. What an amazing project. Can't wait to see the final results.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:54 PM   #3178

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
We are in a drought here in north Texas. Record heat yesterday and expected again today. 80º today, maybe higher, then 53º tomorrow if the weather gawd’s decide to agree with the weather people..
Wow, it was warmer in north Texas today than it was in Yuma County. We never got out of the 60s. We had a trace of rain last night-just enough to spot mark our vehicles. It happens every time I or my neighbor Rose wash our 2006 Scions. This time she is to be blamed. I’d sure like to find a car that would cause a half inch rain. It’s been very dry this last 8 months.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote