RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #309

Wrong photo, hope this video works
Attached Files

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #310

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Nice job on Lil Blue, that makes her look much more civilized than a bunch of rust.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #311

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Wrong photo, hope this video works
Hmmm - missed the prospector. Will have to go back. Will not be a chore.

Yup - tipping the bike is not glamorous. It is a matter of when not if. Will not be the last time.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #312

You have to go see the prospector. And you have to stop in Westmoreland where the big thing is the date shakes. If you like honey they have a ton of varieties, avocado honey is almost pure black for instance. But what I bought besides the date shake was a five pound box of Medjul dates for $15.00. I have about a pound left and have more friends than when I started. I like these because they aren't too sweet or too juicy, dates being all they can be.

There are a lot of metal sculptures around from south of the border. But the big difference between those and that of the Anzo-Borrego artist is the personalities of the subjects come through. For me the difference between yard art with metal and real art with metal is the real art makes you a participant. You find yourself and or friends in the work and it becomes personal.

As for bike tipping, number one on my list is the time I woke up in an emergency room and wondering what it was all about. "Evidently you were involved in a crash in the desert" was the doc's reply to my questions about what?

Number two was in a Grand Prix race. I was coming down a straight still on gravel with the front end of the 465 Yamaha still up and feeling like a shoe. Then a sixty five plus senior went by in a full vertical wheelie, 405 Huskie. I crashed, mostly because of awe. I was early thirties and always wanted to be that cool at that age. Missed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	076F1EAC-ED8A-4111-BE3C-D9FFC8CD578B.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	156108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	156109  

Old 03-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #313

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Harvey;
Definitely going back to see the prospector.

We have been buying our Medjol dates at the Imperial Date Farm just north of us at Bard. Interesting about the different honey's though. Will have to stop there as well. We stopped in Brawley for a milk shake.

I noticed the artist actually shaped the plates and attached them to replicate the musculature of the animal. I especially noted that on some of the horses.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Thanks Harvey;
Definitely going back to see the prospector.

We have been buying our Medjol dates at the Imperial Date Farm just north of us at Bard. Interesting about the different honey's though. Will have to stop there as well. We stopped in Brawley for a milk shake.

I noticed the artist actually shaped the plates and attached them to replicate the musculature of the animal. I especially noted that on some of the horses.
One of the things I appreciated was the growth of the artist through the project. Early pieces are not as detailed as later ones. But even the early ones had a story to tell. If you've ever been around cats and horses you can see the natural personalities in the poses. There's one where a cat is stalking a horse and the horse spots it. The reactions are perfect.

Another thing I appreciated was the quality of the workmanship from a technical perspective. The welding is poor. But the sculpture is amazing. This supports a theory I've advocated forever about weldors. Great weldors have no imagination. They're able to zone out into a weld and what they do is amazing. The reason they can do it is their mind isn't distracted by fun stuff, like creative journeys.

Artists on the hand, minds are more like kaleidoscopes than telescopes. Their attention span is zilch. And the welding isn't about welding skill. Welding is just a tool to use to create what is loose in their mind and needs to be expressed.

There are exceptions, rule number one of rules is about exceptions.

Some of the sculptures have suffered from vandalism and natural deterioration. Inside those you can see the rod skeleton the artist created first.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #315

A stone of steel | harveylacey.com

If you go to this link you might appreciate my passion about the topic.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #316

The art was very cool. I wish I had 1/2 that imagination.

Thanks for the explanation Harvey, I now have a excuse to cover for my marginal welds!

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #317

One of the "issues" and lawd knows I hate "issues", with Jane is I have tools stashed everywhere. It can be very frustrating finding a tool because it can be in one of six or seven places. And not one of those places has the capacity to hold all of the tools.

So today I got under the belly and measured out a place where I could install a custom cabinet that would hold all of the tools. I drew it out and then took the drawing to my buds who bent up the pantaloons for Lil Blue. It was just under $250.00 for the aluminum materials broke (bent) for the case and drawer. I was about to give them the go ahead when a bud called and told me to full stop because he had found exactly what I needed.

He was right. It was a bigger unit which meant I have to reconfigure some stuff in the belly. So I picked up an $800.00 aluminum box for a $100.00 bill. And when we pull out I will have all of the tools and small stuff like electrical connectors, clamps, etc and so on in one place. And, big and, this means we will have more room for the usual belly stuff that goes in a motorhome because the tools won't be in the way.

A month from today we should be on the road, again.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #318

Freightliner Owners Club
Good job Harvey, I have the same issues with tools, I have 4 areas depending on size. Luckily all sockets and wrenches go in one compartment, drills grindrs and impact go in another, prybars, nut & bolt bin hacksaw etc, goes in another, and then drill bits, tap &dieset, and other boxed items goes in another place. If I had a side radiator, there would be a big tool box in the back, but alas, one does what one has to.
Frank
Old 03-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #319

Good morning all!

Well, our last day here in Yuma, pretty sad. Got lots of packing road prep to do it will go fast. My plan is to be ready to back up to the trailer, hitch up and then load Rubi.

Tonight the Yuma IRV2 crowd is having dinner together, steaks on the grill.

Yesterday's Mexico trip was fun. I bought another peace of metal art,,,, like that stuff. Deb got her teeth cleaned and bought some jewelry.

Harv, not sure I follow how your tool storage is going to work. I have the same problem/challenge. My current system is a pain, hard to get at them, can't find anything.

L.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #320

Lloyd, the entertainment center/picnic table will go away. In its place will be the tool box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	156707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	156708  

Old 04-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #321

Freightliner Owners Club
Nice Harvey, that will sure help getting at everything
Frank
Old 04-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #322

Ah, so it will hang from the top of the compartment? Or sit on the bottom?

L.