Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #3137

Thanks for the info. HD has been so inconsistent that I have just been going to Lowes. And, thanks for providing a great thread for a long-time lurker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
.....Heads up for vets on HD. It's been a frustrating thing getting the discount at HD sometimes. But in December according to the nice folks at our HD they are going to online registering for veteran discount and it will be tied to telephone number just like at Lowes. The registers will not have any power for giving discount once that is up and running....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #3138

Not sure what a "work chest" is really. I would really like to like Home Depot's tool boxes. But I can't. I have a charge card there and they keep throwing 0% interst deals at me to encourage me to use it.
Their roll around tool boxes with wheels on are no comparison to those sold by Harbor Freight. The HF ones are a LOT higher quality. As backwards as that seems, I've seen proof beyond Youtube reviews. I have a HF 56" rollaround so overloaded it's shed the rubber off two of it's wheels. It's been turned over twice (co-workers), which broke some drawer latches and damaged some drawer slides. Slides replaced and it's still working full time. For like seven years total now.
Two people I know had HD boxes that basically collapsed. The wheels caved into the boxes. Because apparently they have no boxed in frame on the bottom like most other brands. Hence if you look at the rated load capacity it is lower. Also the shipping weights are lighter for equivalent boxes to HF sizes. Because they have less frame/reinforcement in them.
If you are dealing with a "top box" or "chest" then the differences aren't as marked. An HD chest should be OK as long as you put it somewhere where it will just sit. My HF rollaround goes from one end of the shop to the other a couple of times a day. A weak box won't work for me.
HF also has a brand they call Icon which are supposed to be even heavier duty and comparable to stuff like Snap On's. I regard those as overkill and way more money than I care to throw out on a metal box to carry tools.
I've been itching to upgrade to a 72" box for quite while now. I'm in HD all the time. They have nothing I can even consider for the carrying capacity and number of drawers I need/want. They are like square cans I can load up with my balsa wood glider collection or something. HF has one that is essentially my box but bigger and with better wheels. It hovers around $1000.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:35 PM   #3139

The difference between the HF and the Husky is basically is 24" deep for the Husky vs 18" for the HF.

I have some 1' X 4' steel pegboard that I can make a pegboard backstop for the table. I think I will use aluminum frame with a 2' X 4' backstop, er, uh, headboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6796.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	350222  
Old 11-30-2021, 04:48 PM   #3140

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Thanks for the info. HD has been so inconsistent that I have just been going to Lowes. And, thanks for providing a great thread for a long-time lurker.
My experience with HD is their flexibility always depends upon a Lowes close by. After the bad experiences with HD at Cottonwood and Payson stores, no Lowes in town, I got my VA ID changed to include the "service connected" label. I am a disabled vet and that seems to give them the excuse they need to treat me like a real deal veteran when it comes to discounts.

Hopefully the telephone number log in will make it simpler and easier for all involved.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #3141

Life with Jane

Quote:
The difference between the HF and the Husky is basically is 24" deep for the Husky vs 18" for the HF.

I have some 1' X 4' steel pegboard that I can make a pegboard backstop for the table. I think I will use aluminum frame with a 2' X 4' backstop, er, uh, headboard.

I have the same cabinet. Bought it a couple years ago.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #3142

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:

I have the same cabinet. In my kitchen at house in Taylor.

ron and pebbles
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #3143

The butcher block top come with it? Some NICE icing on the cake there then. HF midrange boxes come with a lame rubber floormat thing on top. Don't load it with 2000 pounds of mechanic's tools (ahem) and I expect it will serve you well. What you paid is VERY hard to beat.
I think you'll find the drawer depth to actually be like 21 and a half inches or so. The ones on my HF 56" are a smidge over 20" deep. I saw where HF had 18 inch cabinets which I would expect the drawers to be about 16" deep. I bet one of those is what you were comparing to. Fair enough. Partly because of the weight I put in them, I'm not terribly fond of overly deep drawers myself. Did I mention how people have turned my box over?
Sorry about the overkill info. I'm looking to retire the banged up old HF box to the home shop and have been shopping pretty hard.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:09 AM   #3144

Life with Jane

This toolbox/chest is for the barndominium. I don’t plan on the barn part being an auto repair station. At least that’s the plan now. The long term plan is to have the wood working stuff in here. I want a hundred or so gallon tank for air tools. The compressor will be the one in the welding shop with an air pipe into the barn. It’s an eighty gallon two stage that takes care of all the air needs. And I don’t see any advantage to having two compressors and I sure don’t like the noise of having a good compressor in the barn and so close to the apartment.

I have an older Craftsman tool chest set in the welding shop. They can handle the tools I have now. The only tool I would like to add to the welding shop at this time is an induction forge. Well, if the lottery hit I would want a killer tig welder just because…………(I already have a dedicated tig machine, Lincoln Invertec 205 ac/dc).

Update: Dad is doing awesome. Covid worked him over pretty good but he’s now testing negative and his attitude is much more positive. I still have the issue with the aunt who wants to visit him, she is the one that arranged for him to get the Covid what went through the facility like a wildfire with one fatality. We’ve told the facility that virtual visits work, especially for her.

Today Maysie gets her second visit at the vet. She also gets her harness for leash training. I have about 30 or so feet of soffit to install and then it’s the last of the roofing panels. We hope to have the closed cell foam to go in over the apartment and porches next week.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #3145

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey,

Why doesn’t your Dad’s facility set up an outdoor visiting area with the chairs 8-10 feet apart? The weather in Aridzona is much more pleasant this time of year. I bet if your Dad had not have gotten into the car with them they could have saved all the medical mess.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:22 AM   #3146

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Harvey,

Why doesn’t your Dad’s facility set up an outdoor visiting area with the chairs 8-10 feet apart? The weather in Aridzona is much more pleasant this time of year. I bet if your Dad had not have gotten into the car with them they could have saved all the medical mess.

Ifs and buts were candy and nuts what a Merry Christmas we would have.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:34 AM   #3147

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6811.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	350330

The magnificent Miss Maysey has overnight developed a cocked ear. It’s cuter’n heck. So of course once again I hit the puter looking for photos of special breed dogs with cocked ears to get a clue of her heritage.

Chihuahuas are born with floppy ears and they become pointed at an early age. This is getting interesting. Evidence is suggesting a Chorky. Cocked ear and my first thought was “border collie”.

She got her second round of puppy shots etc yesterday. Glenda also picked up a carrier for her along with two harnesses. She weighs 3 1/2 pounds, one pound more than she weighed three weeks ago. Doc believes she will be a tiny thing. Nurse asked Glenda about carrying Maysey in her purse.

I don’t think so.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #3148

This afternoon we got a clue to Maisey’s genetics when the neighbor’s yorky female came over for a visit. Maisey went ballistic, it was old home week on speed. She knows her people. We have never seen her so excited.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:44 AM   #3149

Did Miss Maysey's visitor have cocked ears? That's what many Yorkies have.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #3150

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always thought that cocked ears was not breed specific, rather it was just a way each dog chose to express themselves. I knew a Morkie like my girls that had one ear up and one down. Too cute!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote