Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #15

more than you ever want to know:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ght_bulb_types

The "inspector" quoted from amazon is full of crap.

however, what you get out of a legal sealed beam halogen setup is about 700lm on the low beams and 1500lm on the high beams (55W low/65W high). You can improve the voltage at the light, but at ~12.8V, you get the maximum designed capability. Since the US primarily goes off of wattage, you have to use a wattage vs bulb technology chart to figure out the lumens. HIDs go as much as 3000lm but it needs to be applied through a proper projection lens.

Always amazed at the nervous nellies on this site. While you might get caught if you took your coach for inspection in a state that requires a yearly sticker, your chance of being caught with a non-DOT compliant headlight on the road is essentially zero. The CHP has bigger fish to fry. just don't put a full width 100 led array on the front and run down the highway like you're in the middle of the Baja 1000 at 2 AM.

The headlight experts LED conversion kit referenced above is a E-code assembly with a H4 compatible LED bulb in it. It looks like they took pains to put the LED in strip form about where the H4 tungsten elements are located, which means the light might actually go where it's supposed to.

I believe the 9600lm claim on the Amazon bulbs is a TOTAL of all four on high....not for each.

A set of E-code headlamps can be fitted with higher output bulbs without blinding oncoming traffic due to the beam cutoff, and you'll see more down the right shoulder as well. I have 7-inch rectangular e-codes with 100W low/130W high, so basically twice the output of DOT compliant sealed beams. There weren't LEDs available when I got these several years back, and they are much cheaper, but the power draw is considerable and the relay kit is absolutely necessary with a high-current draw halogen setup.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
Ive been dissatisfied with the old original headlights also. Haven't done any upgrading yet but I will say this. Changed the UPGRADED headlight bulbs on 2 motorcycles to LED's and YIKES! What a difference. For me thats the way to go. Less power consumed also.
Harris
Whose bulbs did you use, and where did you get them?
Old 01-18-2019, 02:52 AM   #17

""just don't put a full width 100 led array on the front and run down the highway like you're in the middle of the Baja 1000 at 2 AM.""

I have one of those but it is connected to the hi beams.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Whose bulbs did you use, and where did you get them?
Hi AnotherMike. The bulb is made by "Rivco" The part #is LED-100. Its a replacement for any MC headlight that uses an H4 bulb. There is a local bike shop that sells them but Im sure they're available online.
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:10 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Hella lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
I will add, only purchase headlights, from known quality manufactures. I've purchased Hella headlights for all our classic German cars. Love them!

But,... before I ordered Hella headlights for our rig, I figured I'd try something different and go for an updated look. Found these on Carid. https://www.carid.com/lumen/4x6-rect...leid=608633057
Once installed they looked awesome, emitted a nice glow from the perimeter LEDs and were nice and bright (viewed from outside).

However, on the 10PM test drive....
the beam pattern onto the pavement was atrocious. I honestly could not believe that anything would be worse than the original GM sealed beams. I was so wrong!

Could not pull them from the coach fast enough. Ordered the Hella headlights the next morning.
I have a question for you about the Hella lights you ordered. As we know these coach manufacturers use automotive headlights. Did you get the same manufacturer lights as were originally on your coach?

2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34' Workhorse
georgebonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebonord View Post
I have a question for you about the Hella lights you ordered. As we know these coach manufacturers use automotive headlights. Did you get the same manufacturer lights as were originally on your coach?
The factory original lights were 2A1 Hi/Low beam, and 1A1 Hi beam.
When I pulled them, I laughed, as they were the exact same headlights that were in my mothers 1980 Buick Regal.
Manufacture identification for both light sets were blank, but I suspect GM would have been supplied by GE or Sylvania.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #21

My hubby is a bit of a headlight nerd and always upgrades headlights on his cars and now 2 RV's. He installed a set of Osram LED headlights that are great. The light and light pattern are a massive improvement from the dim, sketchy oem style headlights that were on our 1998 class A when we bought it.

We've not had any oncoming motorists flash us so they must not be bothersome - and we've done plenty of miles of dark/night driving. We've had no issues with water/vapor condensation inside the housings. Very happily recommend them, at $125 for the set!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_121025.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	233205  
2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light, upgrade