Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking for headlight upgrade ideas

Mine are dual rectangular halogens. Would like to upgrade to a brighter light but still DOT legal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
Mine are dual rectangular halogens. Would like to upgrade to a brighter light but still DOT legal.
How about an upgrade for a 1992 Allegro Bay. I've got the small quad lights and the space is to small for regular quad lights.

We used to "road rallye" back in the college days and I had two aircraft landing lights on the front of the car. The power draw would slow the MG midget engine down by about 50 - 100 rpm when turned on, due to the drain on the generator, remember them, before Alternators.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #3

Have you done the relay trick? Depending on what the voltage measures when you back-probe the bulbs, you could potentially double the light output of you're existing bulbs by adding a relay kit.

I believe we have the same halogen setup that you do... I wrote a short description of our experience with the addition of relays here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/dim-h...ys-306053.html

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Piker, thanks for the info and the link. I had been debating whether to try the relay way and you and Daniel Stern have convinced me. I'm going to do the voltage drop tests first just so I'll have a before and after. I'll post the results. Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #5

Hella H4 headlights.

On our '96 Flair had the original factory sealed halogens. They had both low power output, and a even worse beam pattern.

We replaced them with Hella headlamps, and Philips bulbs.

Parts used:

High/Low beam (factory original was a 2A1)
Hella lamp assembly, less halogen bulb: Hella part # 003177001
Philips X-Treme part # 9003XVS2
____

High beam (factory original was a 1A1)
Hella lamp assembly, less halogen bulb: Hella part # 003177061
Philips Vision Plus part # 12258VPB2

The only alteration I needed to do was move the Hi/Low beam wire position in the headlight plug. Diagram and look below. Left image is the factory wire positions in the headlamp plug. The right image is were the wires were moved to in the plug. There is also an adapter pigtail availble, Hella part # 003385001.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HL small.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	229235  
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great info D Gardiner. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
headlightexperts.com
I change the running lights on my Genesis too LEDS and can't tell you how much brighter they are. expensive yes but worth it .
JMO
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
headlightexperts.com
I change the running lights on my Genesis too LEDS and can't tell you how much brighter they are. expensive yes but worth it .
JMO
Tim
Ive been dissatisfied with the old original headlights also. Haven't done any upgrading yet but I will say this. Changed the UPGRADED headlight bulbs on 2 motorcycles to LED's and YIKES! What a difference. For me thats the way to go. Less power consumed also.
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
I just went through this. We do not drive much at night but last week we had to drive in the dark and the light was more like an old car.

What I did was use a 3m restorer on the fog lights. That was worth every penny. Our other lights are glass so the housing was fine but the bulbs were not too great.

I ordered new Sylvania Ultra bulbs. Its considerably brighter.

I asked a trucker friend about LED's and he said most are not legal but the biggest issue is that they generate loads on heat at the rear and can melt the housing.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #10

The relay kit may make a much brighter output in your lights. GM on most P-30 chassis ran the h-lite switch thru the ignition switch resulting in hot and failng ignition switches and/or low power to the h-lites.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #11

This is 2019, get a DOT certified LED upgrade, there are now some out there for under $125 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JHGV4KQ
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
This is 2019, get a DOT certified LED upgrade, there are now some out there for under $125 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JHGV4KQ
Here's response to a question on Amazon about these lights:

"Question: Are these street legal in califorina?

By Ron Anderson on October 27, 2018
I am a retired inspector for the State Of California. These headlights are illegal in ALL states because this is not a state-to-state law... it's a FEDERAL DOT LAW THAT MAKES THEM ILLEGAL. Some states may be lax in enforcing the law, but they are still ILLEGAL

If you have them installed in Wyoming and you drive to California, your vehicle can be RED TAGGED by the CHP and be impounded and seized until it complies with Federal DOT Laws.

The biggest reason why they are illegal is that they are not ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT (OE or OER) in that they didn't come on the vehicle when it was new. The fact that they have no 'cutoff line' and they have no lenses, which also allows them by inferior design, to glare into opposing driver's eyes which makes them both illegal and dangerous to everyone else on the highway.

Any modifications to lighting is illegal unless you become a manufacturer or upfitter and carry your own FEDERAL DEALER'S CERTIFICATE. Without that, you cannot install these or sell them as legal in ANY STATE.

"DOT" on the advertisement is NOT a FEDERAL ACCEPTANCE CERTIFICATE and is bordering on fraudulent advertising, which I am surprised to see Amazon permit.

Look carefully at the ad: "Dot approved" is not "DOT Approved". Watch for the capitalized letters in DOT vs Dot. "Dot" may be someone's name. see less
By Ravalli Surfer on October 10, 2018"
Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #13

And just because some guy on the internet claims they are not legal, then they are not?

Sure some of the lights out there that claim to be DOT certified may be phony, if you are worried about that buy the Truck-Lite LED's for twice the price https://smile.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-...dp/B007ED7HNY/

This may also be of interest

https://www.truck-lite.com/content/n...ng-regulations
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #14

Buy quality headlights

I will add, only purchase headlights, from known quality manufactures. I've purchased Hella headlights for all our classic German cars. Love them!

But,... before I ordered Hella headlights for our rig, I figured I'd try something different and go for an updated look. Found these on Carid. https://www.carid.com/lumen/4x6-rect...leid=608633057
Once installed they looked awesome, emitted a nice glow from the perimeter LEDs and were nice and bright (viewed from outside).

However, on the 10PM test drive....
the beam pattern onto the pavement was atrocious. I honestly could not believe that anything would be worse than the original GM sealed beams. I was so wrong!

Could not pull them from the coach fast enough. Ordered the Hella headlights the next morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HL Fail a.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	231294  
Attached Images

Tags
headlight, light, upgrade