Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #15

Good to know. I may have to re-think my plan.
crashxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #16

Have you considered a class C?
2010 Four Winds 28A - RV & Motorhome Classifieds

Something like this might fit your needs without breaking the bank.
I picked this one out based on price only. I have no other knowledge of this unit other than what is published in the ad.
Some class A's have systems which are complicated and expensive to repair. These systems are often found on diesel powered and/or more expensive units.
Systems I would shy away from as you really wouldn't need them:
Vacu-flush, Aqua Hot, slides, residential refrigerator, washer/dryer, macerator, electric awnings, outside kitchen or TV.
You can find information about these systems on this forum by doing a search. While some of these systems may be nice to have I don't believe you would miss not having any of them.
The chassis and power train on the class C units are typical van type parts and are serviceable by most light truck repair shops.
Lynn
Old 05-10-2019, 06:33 AM   #17

There are good deals out there and you can get a coach in good condition in your price range. It will not be an easy find , but it can be done. We lucked out finding a 93 in real nice condition with no water leaks that had been sitting for a few years. I wasn't concerned about the mechanical portion as all that can be easily repaired. My major concern was water damage and general condition of the interior. The seller was asking 12k . we offered 6k and he accepted 7k. Everything worked in the motorhome and I drove it home. I replaced the tires , swaybar bushings, front springs, batteries , rad & hoses, water pump and A/C compressor over the 5 yrs I've owned it.
Our trips are to the lake campgrounds (50 to100 miles) about every second week during camping season.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashxx View Post
Good to know. I may have to re-think my plan.
when we bought our MH It was already 18 years old with 30K miles on it. We looked almost 8 months before finding the one we did. I looked at a lot of them that needed a lot of work. The one we bought also needed some work. Figure on spending $3k to $5k getting it ready. Ball joints, sparkplug wires, fan clutch, replaced power booster and master cylinder at the same time. Power booster was leaking but they are attached so I replaced both. Shocks, Bushings, steering stabilizer, tires, front air bags. That was in the first 6 months. All of that I knew when I purchased and price was negotiated because of the issues.

Roof was all in great shape and hand no leaks. All original appliances and all function as the should. Do I regret our decision buying an older unit...absolutely not. Just be careful, we looked at a lot of junk before finding this one.

Side note: We will be coming to western OK in June ….Woodward.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
You CAN find a good RV in your price range, I did exactly that on my first one - paid $12K for a coach that had been well kept and ran just fine for 2 years before we upgraded.
Now we look at a LOT of really trashy ones before we found this one. We bought it the same day we found it, suspecting that it wouldn't last long.
So be prepared to go to lots of places and look at lots of RVs that you wouldn't dream of buying before finding the right one, and when you find it buy it right then before someone else does.
I expect you'll end up buying at the higher end of your range, but it's certainly doable.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #20

Well, I think I've found "the one". 1985 Holliday Rambler Imperial 33. One owner, always kept inside, well maintained. Just at the top of my budget. We'll see how it unfolds.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #21

I hope this works out well for you. Please keep us in the loop and don't be afraid to ask questions.
We'd like to see pictures too.
Good Luck,
Lynn
Old 05-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #22

Will do. Thank you.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I'll have to disagree with fagnaml regarding purchasing a gas motorhome. Depending on how you are going to use the motorhome and your budget, a used gas motorhome may be a good choice for you. I would fully agree that a diesel pusher has the advantage in durability, power and towing capacity, etc. but it comes at a big price. Generally speaking, I'd look for a motorhome from companies that are more highly rated such as Newmar, Tiffin, and Winnebago. I found a lot of good information in the Motorhome Comparison Guide:
https://rvreviews.net/motorhome-comparison-guide/
It's a bit pricey, but certainly has a lot of information.
I am also looking but my budget is around 80k or so. Here is what I am looking at right now. Any thoughts would be welcomed:

So, here is where we are on used Class A's:

2014 Tiffin Alegro Open Road 32CA with 22k miles

2006 Tiffin Phanton 40QDH with 66k miles

2008 Monaco Diplomat with 22k

2013 Itasca Sunoca 33C with 15k
Granada51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #24

Condition is everything, while it is possible to give general overall impressions of a model line, known potential issues, etc. it all comes down to condition of the individual coach.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Crashxx --

As others have said, finding a decent quality Class A for $12,000 or less won't be easy. The ones that are available for that price will be pushing 20 years in age and will have quite a bit of use. As an example of Class A for $12,000 or less, PPL Motorhomes in Houston (a large RV consignment business) has five Class A in your price range to peruse --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...00+TO+15000%5d

Would this purchase be your first ever RV? Reason for asking is your 1/2 ton truck, if a 2011 or newer Silverado or F150, has 10,000 lbs (+/-) of towing capacity. A nice, newer, such as this 31', 2011 Keystone can be had at the top end of your price range --> https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...-lite_rv-41875

A 5-6 year old travel trailer obviously would have much less wear & tear than a 20 year old Class A.

I owned a 30' 2011 Tracer Executive T-T for five years and enjoyed many family weekends at LSU football games and even used it for 14 months as my temporary home while on a temporary assignment at a project manager. With a loaded weight of ~7,000 lbs. it was easy to two with my crew cab Silverado 4x4. The reason I upgraded from a 30' T-T to a 41' motorhome was to accommodate my growing number of grandkids (now seven!) at LSU football games.

A key item to think about is the space needed for your family. If you have children, "bunk house" design floor plans are most efficient per square foot in providing the most living area while also providing the necessary number of beds.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, class a, starter