Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
I had a 75 same color, different floor plan. My hunting and fishing rig.On a Dodge chassis, 360 cu inch. Ran great, pulled a 18' IO boat. everything worked new tires and brakes. Got $3000 for it in 2000. Check for water leaks around the roof line and across the seams in roof. Some of the Tioga had saggig floors. If you find rot in any of the wood look for a different rig. No spare tire, the front and rear wheels are different. Mine was built in Sunnyside WA.
Thanks! I will look around for that! I read somewhere else that poking the roof and walls and floors and listening for crunching noises and watching for "give" is the best way to look for those unseen problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Mainly look out for water damage-bulges in the wall/ceiling. And for you only in the South west-look for uv damage outside. Brittle plastic/rubber. Side note: Who ever is going to SUNH please bring real mexican food. There is none in the whole state.
I will look for sun damage as well. Thanks a bunch! Curious...What is SUNH?! I am so excited to get going and start coming to the events! My boyfriend has talked about bringing along some frozen green chile and preparing some delicious New Mexican food for our traveling friends! I love the stretched camaraderie of the RV folks out there.

Kady0590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Believe what you want, those cost are for week-enders as well. You will spend that much on that rig. By the time you buy it, insure it, plate it, fuel it, put tires on it and fix the roof, you are already half way to 4k.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
If I read you blog right someone started classes at Southern University of New Hampshire March 3rd? Or is the year of the post important?
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Believe what you want, those cost are for week-enders as well. You will spend that much on that rig. By the time you bye it, insure it, plate it, fuel it, put tires on it and fix the roof, you are already half way to 4k.
I guess I didn't understand what you were saying. I thought you were telling me what full-timing costs. I didn't realize you were talking about the rig itself. You had said I would spend double on a new RV so I guess I was just a little confused.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #19

Quote:
If I read you blog right someone started classes at Southern University of New Hampshire March 3rd? Or is the year of the post important?
Oh my gosh!! LOL!! I started there in March, yes! You had wrote it as SUNH. It's SNHU. I can't believe I didn't catch that! LOL! I'm sorry! Duh! :P Everybody abbreviates these RV events, so I didn't even think anything of it!

Ha ha! Wow, I swear I am not this clueless on a regular basis!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #20

Quote:
P.S. Will come bearing real New Mexican cuisine! :P

Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
The question you should ask is: If I spend "all of it", will it be worth it?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #22

Quote:
The question you should ask is: If I spend "all of it", will it be worth it?
I'm not sure what you are referring to...

If it was about living in an RV, we absolutely are going to live the full-time lifestyle. I know lots of folks who manage well doing so - most who say they would have a hard time going "back." We don't really have a lot to lose back home. No house to sell, no commitments, etc. Our family is supportive and we'll be back through frequently.

However, if you were referring to the RV, we're not sure how much it will cost us, this is why I was asking on here. Good thing I just found out today that my brother-in-law's brother is an RV mechanic!! Very valuable resource for us! But, I absolutely love most of the folks on here as well. You all just know what it means, and I love it!

Just curious, are you a full-timer? You seem a little down on the full-time lifestyle. Is there a reason for that?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The old Tiogas are not a 4 season rig, single pane windows, poor insulation, small furance, bad converter, small battery space. they were ment to be a weekend get away. You can put a lot of time and money into, and it will still be not worth much. But we had fun with ours!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #24

I owned a Tioga, bunk house model. My first adventure in motorhoming. Ours was a 350 Chevy, and when we took it on our first trip West, the first thing we realized was, 33 gals. of fuel was only good for 200 mi. seems like all we did was stop for gas. When we got to AZ. we found a shop that installed extra fuel tanks, he added, another 33 gal. tank, and made it alot better. The other problem we had was the RV furnace, gave us fits the whole time we owned it. It never did work right, finally replaced it with another brand, but traded it before we ever got a chance to use it. The biggest problem, was the roof over the cab was beginning to sag, and the siding over the rear wheels was beginning to corrode.
Good luck, one thing you should be aware of, is motorhomes are tinker toys! But, boy, when they work, it sure is fun!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am not down on the RV life style, but you will be if you buy that hunk of junk. You will spend all your savings on it as it will break down over and over. You get what you pay for, and $800 ain't much. Spend your money on a tent, it will be more dependable! You spend $5k + first year easy, probably just on repairs.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #26

Quote:
I am not down on the RV life style, but you will be if you buy that hunk of junk. You will spend all your savings on it as it will break down over and over. You get what you pay for, and $800 ain't much. Spend your money on a tent, it will be more dependable! You spend $5k + first year easy, probably just on repairs.
Ahhhh! I gotcha now. Yea, we're beginning to lean in the other direction. Just may not be a full timing RV. Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
The old Tiogas are not a 4 season rig, single pane windows, poor insulation, small furance, bad converter, small battery space. they were ment to be a weekend get away. You can put a lot of time and money into, and it will still be not worth much. But we had fun with ours!
Good to know...Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
I owned a Tioga, bunk house model. My first adventure in motorhoming. Ours was a 350 Chevy, and when we took it on our first trip West, the first thing we realized was, 33 gals. of fuel was only good for 200 mi. seems like all we did was stop for gas. When we got to AZ. we found a shop that installed extra fuel tanks, he added, another 33 gal. tank, and made it alot better. The other problem we had was the RV furnace, gave us fits the whole time we owned it. It never did work right, finally replaced it with another brand, but traded it before we ever got a chance to use it. The biggest problem, was the roof over the cab was beginning to sag, and the siding over the rear wheels was beginning to corrode.
Good luck, one thing you should be aware of, is motorhomes are tinker toys! But, boy, when they work, it sure is fun!
I think our best bet will be to finance one as we originally had planned to do. (Or save until we can afford a nicer one). Thanks for your input!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #28

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm late to this party, and it seems like you're already drifting back to the logical side, but odds are, this unit will require much more investment than it's worth. The KEY word in the conversation the owner had with you was "sitting", as in it's been sitting a while. Those are BAD words when it comes to motorhomes (boats too, for future reference). Dry rot is a cancer on these older units and when he shared his "grandson's mistake", that's his way of opening the door to, "odds are, she's rotten to the core". Water find it's way into sealed coaches, let alone those that have holes up top.

Spend more up front so you'll have a lot more basis to work from. You'll still be spending money, even if you buy one new, but the better the unit, the less out-of-pocket to get yourself "rolling". Good luck.