Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

Luxor owner

Hello all, just joined the forum and look forward to tapping into the collective wisdom out there. First time RV owner and its been quite the learning curve, but fun.

We're the proud owners of a 1995 Winnebago Luxor that we use for traveling with the kids. It sat for some time and I've put a fair amount of time into servicing the ol girl, changing out the old tube tvs for flat screens, etc. it's been a solid rig and with the exception of one electrical problem (that we're currently working through-fingers crossed) it's run great.

I've a good collection of manuals I'd be happy to share if there are other owners of said coach out there.
DC6 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

A neighbor had a pre-production Luxor ,not sure what year but it was a no slide unit, and I helped with some electrical issues , brake light operation was one.

Is your electrical issue , with the chassis ?, coach ? , 12 volt? or 120 ?
Old 11-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

A neighbor had a pre-production Luxor ,not sure what year but it was a no slide unit, and I helped with some electrical issues , brake light operation was one.

Is your electrical issue , with the chassis ?, coach ? , 12 volt? or 120 ?
Hello!
It's with the chassis. We hadn't used the coach in several months so I took it out for a drive. Approximately ten minutes into my drive the engine quit and I lost all electrical power (the dash lights went out and turning the ignition did nothing). I was able to start the generator but the aux battery start was inoperative as well. Within 45-60 seconds the dash lights illuminated and I was able to start the rig and drive home. I cleaned the battery terminals and checked the cable connections that I could easily see. Took it out the next day and it did the same thing at the same spot!

This time I kept driving it after the power came back and it didn't repeat during my thirty minute drive. Not wanting it to happen in the middle of the night on some dark and lonely road I opted to have it checked out by my mechanic. He couldn't find anything but not wanting to give up I called Freightliner for help. They said the 100 amp circuit breaker, located somewhere between the battery and the starter, is the usual suspect. It's taken a week to track down the "vintage" part and should be here tomorrow. My only issue is "where" is it located? Freightliner had no schematics but could only suggest the location. I'm hoping my mechanic will be able to find it as we're hoping to use it over thanksgiving.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

My coach , has two 135 amp circuit breakers , on in the chassis battery cable to the dash and the second in the coach battery cable.
Both are within 3 feet of the batteries , to protect the 30 foot run of cable to the front of the coach from shorts, and on my coach are on a plate on the right ( passenger) side frame rail behind the rear axle; directly behind the batteries.
Picture shows ( L to R ) starter solenoid ( relay) chassis C/B and Coach C/B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batery fuses.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	143994  
Old 11-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

Right on! Thanks for a he pics, that helps a lot!
Old 11-09-2016, 11:30 PM   #6

Here she is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	144003  
Old 11-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #7

congrats. on your rig!!

Is the picture a wrap or a paint job? What ever it is it is beautiful.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Is the picture a wrap or a paint job? What ever it is it is beautiful.
No, no wrap. It's a custom paint job with a different scene featuring horses on both sides and the back. When we first got the coach it was a bit much for me but it's grown on me now.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC6 Driver View Post
Right on! Thanks for a he pics, that helps a lot!
Mike , I see in your Freightliner Chassis post , you've replaced the circuit breaker, was the location about where I described ?
Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Mike , I see in your Freightliner Chassis post , you've replaced the circuit breaker, was the location about where I described ?
Alas, I didn't get the opportunity to ask this very question from my mechanic when I picked up the coach. However, I passed on the information you shared when I dropped off the circuit breaker for the repair. He later said he found it within minutes based on "our" info. I plan on crawling underneath the coach soon and looking for it.

Yes, Freightliner (Oshkosh in this case) did use auto resetting circuit breakers. I did a little homework and, not knowing they existed, discovered there are three different types of cb's. Type I CB's are automatically reset when they cool off, Type II CB's will reset themselves when the power source has been removed then reapplied, and of course Type III CB's are the one most of us are familiar with and require manual resetting.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #11

So we loaded the Coach up and headed out for a family get together for Thanksgiving. Three hours into our trip it did it again, engine quit and all Chassis power vanished. 60 seconds later it was back and we started the engine, turned around and drove three hours home.

Frustrated beyond belief I pulled on my coveralls and crawled under the Coach to look for the famous 100 amp CB. After finding it I cleaned every electrical connection in sight. Not satisfied I went up top and removed the upper engine access cover under the rear bed. Woa! Staring me in the face was the disconnected turbocharger exhaust! All this time hot turbocharger exhaust gases we're blasting the engine compartment and more specifically the notorious 100 amp breaker. No wonder it would trip at hairpulling random times for what seemed no apparent reason.

Now waiting till Monday to inquire with Freightliner exactly what part is missing to couple the exhaust to the turbocharger. Good grief!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #12

I found the 100 amp auto resetting circuit breaker and starter solenoid located on a plate in almost the exact location as you described. Thanks again!