Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #1

Maintenance Before A Road Trip

I'm just curious what you guys do to your vintage rigs before a big road trip. Check fluids....oil change...what other preventative maintenance? Thank you.
Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #2

I always check the tire pressures, and check all fluids including windshield wiper fluid.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I always check the tire pressures, and check all fluids including windshield wiper fluid.

Here's an oddball item:
I check my power "toll booth window" for up/down. It sticks after not being used for awhile. The rubber seal grabs the window glass. Silicone spray usually gets it working again.
The other thing I check is wiper blades.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #4

I get underneath and check for leaks. I check Frig,Range and H/W for operation, venting and gas leaks. I check plumbing both water and waste for operation and leaks I check all the lights and the charging system. I make sure the generator is starting, has oil and functioning properly. I make sure there is extra fluids; Oil, brakes, transmission and antifreeze. I check spare tire for inflation

I carry these spares: both radiator hoses, clamps and belts. I also carry a spare fuel pump. ECM temp sender (GM 454) and 1 long plug wire and 1 spark plug. I carry enough tools to handle the most common repairs plus a multi meter for electrical issues.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
I check the fluids, tire pressures, any trim or panels that might be loose and fall off while moving and the exterior lights. I get up on the roof to make sure there isn't any obvious damage and basically make sure everything works on the chassis and in the coach.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #6

Not sure if an 2002 qualifies for vintage, but I check all hose clamps in the engine compartment, belts for wear, wipe jack arms clean with WD-40, oil in the front hubs, coolant level, oil level. I check the air in the tires before I roll anywhere anytime no matter how long or short I have been sitting.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance