Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #1

Mallard class A motorhome

Are there any other Mallard motorhome owners on here besides me. Just wondering if we could help each other. I really love mine, and the way it is built. I am glad it is used as I have lots of changes and things I want to add. I welcome any other owners who want to chat about there Mallard or any motorhome. K then Peace
Elecmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just post what you want to do others will chime in with advice
Old 10-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #3

Hello Elecmusic, you shouldn't be alone now, I too have a Mallard Motorhome. It's a 1991 Sprint Model and it's 27 footer, Class A. We got it a few years ago because of our big family (six kids). Our kids travel more comfortable than our Suburban.
This is my first time posting, but have been a long time lurker. I enjoy reading the advice and experience of people from this forum. Thank You.
OneHolyCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #4

Thanks for your reply. My engine AC and heater that is part of the engine like any car or truck with the controls on the dash but it does not work. does yours?
My roof AC works and everything else works. So I really do not need it but is on my list of things to fix. I am going to clean off the rust on the bottom of the rig but really it not that rusty at all. Must of been taken care of well. I just want to stop any rust now before it gets going. I love the Mallard seems everything is thought out well where things are located and all. And no leaks. I have done some preventative maintenance to make sure I do not get any future leaks. I added a third battery just so I do not have to worry. I used a high amp scissor switch so I can choose which battery I want to use. I really think these old Mallards where made well. Need any help just ask. Peace Roy
Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #5

I haven't had any problems with heater or AC. Although I don't use them much because I use the roof AC instead. The main problem at the top of my list is the windshields keep popping out. I had a windshield guy popped it back in and reset the seal, but a trip to Oregon, and it popped back out.
The next problem is the "steering wondering" and it tires me out after our trips. I was looking through the records of the previous owners and at one time, they had the dealer adjust the steering because it was too hard to turn the wheel. So, I suspect that's how it got "looser" over time?
Overall, I agree, it was well made. I'm just dealing with some maintenance issues that got neglected between owners.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

Mallard guy here

Well I just found out My size tires are not made any more by many company's I hope I can find one that does or I will change to a different size. I have 750 16 r on there. In all the years one of the things I never learned was about tire sizes and I read that tires older then 7 years should be replaced. Well when I got the motorhome the tires looks ok but now already I see some small cracks so I am changing tires for sure. But big cost there. On another subject I see you are in California. I lived in California for 11 years and loved it. I moved a lot cause of job. I lived in Apple Valley Victorville Palmdale Long beach and seal beach. Which are all around LA but I lived up in the high desert at first. My friends who come and visit me at the beach citys and always wanted to go back up to the High Desert and go hiking in the foot hills by the rivers and lakes. Just thought I would add that. Have a good one. Peace Roy
Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #7

Oh I forgot to add Mine seems to steer fine. the wind can cause some fun but other then that no problem with steering.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #8

I believe I replaced mine with 235:85/16 be home tomorrow ill check got be Goodrich at SAMs club
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #9

1990 mallard sprint 28 ft bought from perfect family older couple took extremely good care of it always inside. Everything works perfectly 454 tbi averaging 8.5 mpg. First camper first motor home enjoying the heck out of this. Bought with new tires and steering stabilizer on it drives great.
Enjoy the mallard we are
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
235/85R16 is the right replacement size.
Goodyear WORKHORSE RIB LT7.50-16 E/10PR - tires-easy.com

Yokohama*Y785R

Hankook F19 LT7.50R16 G/14PR - tires-easy.com
Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #11

i have 32 ft. 1989 i am a gear head or i would have hung myself at this point.you name it and i have replaced it or rebuilt it .its a ford running gear with parts from 1974-1988.i get about 6mpg with a tail wind. i am in fear of my life and others while aim
ing down the interstate at 50 mph. i have replaced two reman steering box units all crap. now to the point i would like to find a box to replace this saginaw 710 with anything . anybody with this problem,please help. other than that its great. lets talk thanks, ken
ked454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elecmusic View Post
Are there any other Mallard motorhome owners on here besides me. Just wondering if we could help each other. I really love mine, and the way it is built. I am glad it is used as I have lots of changes and things I want to add. I welcome any other owners who want to chat about there Mallard or any motorhome. K then Peace

Sorry I did not see this 'til now. I've been away from this site for too long. I too am a Mallard owner. We have a 1990 32 foot class A. Have had it for 5 years now and really love it. First trip was to Fort Wilderness, a Disney resort in Florida. Then last summer we took it to the Fla Keys for two weeks.....what a blast. We live in eastern PA so both trips were 1100 + miles one way. No problems on either trip. We can't wait 'til our next Fla trip.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #13

We too had a 1990 1/2 Mallard 31'1/2 class A. drove it up and down the east coast from va. to me. serval times. Quite well built. Never saw another A newer than ours, believe that it was one of the final ones off of the line. It had an Oshkosh chassis with the Ford drive line. We bought and used it for four years. One of the options a previous owner had installed, was a gear venders over/under drive in it. Awsome, ave.12 mpg.
We traded it in this past summer, traded up to a 39' DP. Love the slides. if I could of has a slide in the Mallard, we never of sold her, We called her "The Roamin Duck"/
As far as mechanicals issues, 1 master cylinder, 3 headlight switches, and a couple of solnoids, Tires were H 8x 19.5. Consider switching over to a more readily available, but after reading about handleing issues, we decided to keep to the OEM size. I know this is an old thread, but classics don't get old
Ripnfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #14

My appologies for the late response as well, keep on forgetting to respond. Anyways, I have the same problem that Ken has. It's on top of my list to do to the RV, I get exhausted after driving with the white nuckles. Ken, since you changed the steering box, have you notice if there's an adjustment screw where you can tighten it? I read on a truck forum or somewhere that you can tighten the steering box to eliminate the excessive play. That's was my first thing to try.
I also just get 7.5 MPG. Looking into a gear vendors unit as well. I have an Osh Kosh Chassis as well with a 460 Ford and a C6 Tranny. Ken, keep us posted if you take care of the problem...

Tags
motorhome