Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #1

hi everyone, i have an old mallard duckling, not sure the age, but a date of 1960 is in the closet.

looking for people with a similar TT as i am restoring it and would like to know what it originally looked like.

the exterior was painted solid white by a prior owner, but the interior is pretty original. i think the carpeting was added sometime in the 80's maybe.

looking for advice and photos -- thanks in advance!
sandra902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

sandra902, WELCOME to iRV2!!

I am sure someone with some knowledge of vintage travel trailers will come along soon and have an answer to your questions...

The folks here are always eager to jump in and help when they can...

We look forward to hearing more of your experiences with that duckling!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
sandra902 welcome to irv2
If you look down in the Vintage Forum you may find some info. Some people have posted pics of what they did to their upgraded TT's and they came out pretty good I think. When your in the forum go to "Find" above you and type in your question or year of your TT and you may get a direct answer to your question.
Enjoy the forums and post some pics of what your doing. Need help just ask.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
sandra902, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Good luck on the vintage project of the Mallard. Take care and keep us informed on how it goes.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:28 AM   #5

good morning all and thank you for the warm welcome!

yes indeedy i did search the site and scrolled through the vintage section, which is all wonderful! but alas, so far no fellow ducklings. but that might change at any time i am hoping.

did a search of ebay, alibris & amazon hoping to find an old brochure or manual from the era so i could see what my little duckling looked like. plus i found out that mallard coach went out of business 1992. those records must be SOMEWHERE don't you think? maybe i will call the mallard by "something or other" people that seemed to have taken it over.

so there you go, still looking for info and all advice will be welcome! sheesh you should see the 2 tanks on the front of it, i swear they are original and are a bomb-in-waiting. those will be the first to go! but that is for an expert to do, not little sandra (k-boom) i am well qualified in carpet removal and pine sol scrubbing.

have a great day
Old 08-20-2006, 02:26 AM   #6

sandra902, Welcome to the IRV2 website, glad your enjoying what your seeing on the website, hope everything goes well with your restoration project. Ed.S
Old 07-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #7

hey all! still looking for information as to how this little darling looked originally. i'm despairing of finding this information as i've searched all over the internet and ebay and such. any thing i can find out will do!

but time is a-wasting and i have gotten started. this weekend fraulein inga (my german shepherd) and i hauled it north and got started on the cleaning. put on my rubber gloves and respirator mask and counted about 2 million mousie turds. put down my mothballs and mouse bait.

but lord-a-mercy! that bunk groans! it was awful sleeping on that noisy bunk. sounded like the entire trailer was going to cave in on itself with every shift. not that inga stirred at all as she was under her own blanket the bed hog!

i do have all my "before" pictures taken and will take care to get the "afters" too.

first things to go were those original johnny-time-bomb LP tanks on the front. next to go were the stinky f@rt-palace cushions. soon will be the kitchen area and water tank...ugh! how much mildew could be stored up since 1960 i wonder?

well the front window, which was cheap plexi, a chunk of which broke out on the way up north and the rest of it broke out on the way home -- thank goodness for duct tape! so it is off to the lexan people to see what they can do for me.

one day it will be clean and fresh and welcoming. it's on the way though.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #8

Hi, just stumbled across this blog and noticed someone has a 1960 Mallard Duckling. We just bought a 1959 Mallard Duckling and would be glad to share any info or pics we have with you Sandra902. There are photo copied brouchers available on ebay and I think the Duckling is on one of them. Cheers!
snuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #9

wowee snuest thanks for the reply!
i'd love any and all information before i start tearing things out.

i'm usually pretty good at searching out stuff online but have i ever struck out with finding any old documents on ebay! i think it is on this site though that there is information on a trailer restoration guy that has lots of info on CD which i have not pursued yet.

love to see some snaps of your little duckling!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
snuest...
Welcome to iRV2!
It is great to see that there are still coaches in that age bracket that are still around! I hope that you and sandra902 will both share photos of your Ducklings...including the improvements that you might make.

You may also find some good reading (and maybe some helpful tips) over here in the Vintage RV area.

Again..welcome to iRV2.We hope you visit and post often!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One place tha might be of help on the older trailer supplies is Vintage Trailer Supply.

Out 1979 is still a bit new to get much from them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #12

The nice thing about rehabbing an older RV is that you can usually change things to suit you and your needs. Read the the various threads on the Vintage Forum BEFORE you start tearing out stuff. It may help you to understand how these older units were built. Most of us (not all) that posted on the Vintage Forum have RV's that are in the 70's to early 80's. Start a thread there on your project. It will help others later on.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote