Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maryland "Historic" plates on a motorhome

Hi, I just got a 1987 Itasca Windcruiser and was hoping to register it as Historic. Looking at the application for historic plates, it clearly excludes motorhomes. As a result, I've petitioned the DMV to change the rules, and I've contacted my assemblymen and state senator asking for this change. If enough people ask, there is a chance (slim as it may be) that it could pass. I've attached a copy of my petition. If you are from MD and would like to support this cause, feel free to copy it and put your name and address and forward it to the DMV. You never know..

David
Attached Files
File Type: doc md petition.doc (23.5 KB, 138 views)
dgapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
The problem with historic (antique tags here in Florida) is they are for limited use only (ie) short pleasure drive, parades and driving to and from shows.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Each state has different limits and requirements. In MD, they are for most anything except daily driver. The actual quote is "Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses." I have them on my '41 Ford truck, and use it to haul lumber, go to the dump, and lots of other stuff. Since most motorhomes only go about 5000 miles a year, it's very limited use and would fit in with the intent of "historic" tags. Some of the main advantages are lower registration fees, no smog inspection, and no safety inspection. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for safety, but sometimes the inspections are a little over the top, and here in MD they cost $250 and up. The difference between $51 for historic plates and $180 for Class M is nothing to sneeze at either.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #4

Ijust joined today, went to get tags for a 78 chevy/shasta 24 ft mini motor home expecting to get historic tags. Only plan to put about 3000 miles, or less, per year. MVA shock. . . no historic tags. Where is the best place for inspection around Baltimore?
Many thanks,
Bill
willringg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #5

I an sending the petition today.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willringg View Post
Ijust joined today, went to get tags for a 78 chevy/shasta 24 ft mini motor home expecting to get historic tags. Only plan to put about 3000 miles, or less, per year. MVA shock. . . no historic tags. Where is the best place for inspection around Baltimore?
Many thanks,
Bill

Don't know where y'all can get the inspection..... just wanted to say welcome to the forum !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the welcome !!!!!
Quote:

Don't know where y'all can get the inspection..... just wanted to say welcome to the forum !
Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got a response from the MD Sec of Trans. It requires legislation to change it. I've been in contact with my state representitives and one of them seems willing to introduce it in the January session. For anyone from MD, please contact your state representitves and ask them to support a legislative change to allow "Multipurpose Vehicles" to be classified as Historic and use Historic license plates.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #9

I will be sending petition this week. I have 89 Rockwood / Driftwood 34, thanks
nazoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #10

Ohio has Historical Plates for MH starts at 25years old.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
I see ya gone and expanded from Classic Bagos.com .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got an email from my state assembly person today, the MD Department of Legislative Services is drafting a bill to be presented in the next session of the General Assembly that, if enacted, will allow Historic Plates on Multi-Purpose vehicles. Contact your state representitives and let them know that you are interested in having this enacted. Ask them to cosponsor the bill when it comes up. When I get more info, I'll post it.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is one more line in the vehicle code you may need to check as well.

While I do not know if Michigan, where I'm from, excludes Motor homes.. I do know that in Michigan the rules for historic plates include some language specifying that you can not use them as "Every day" plates.. The vehicle has to be driven only on rare occasions such as antique car shows and rallys,,, Not as your everyday house.

As I said, I do not know if your state has language like this.. But I'd not be surprised (Either way)
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't intend to be a full timer, and will only use the MH a couple times a month, so it would qualify under the current limitations with the exception of the fact that multi purpose vehicles are excluded. Once we get the Maryland Code fixed, then we need to get the MVA to change their regulations to match the Code. It's a 2 step process. All I can hope is that we can get the support in the Assembly to pass it, and then move to the MVA to get them to change the regulation.

Tags
motorhome