Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #1

mid 90s southwind guys, heating duct question

I'm sure we all have flexible round ducts in our RVs. I was trying to trace them and understand exactly what is what and there is one I cannot. There are two large 3" (I think) flexible ducts that go back to the rear bedroom wall. Each of those ducts has a 1.5" (ish) duct that Tees off of it. One goes to the other side which I suspect is the duct that feeds the bathroom and one goes into the floor through a hole that was cut and seems to be almost duct taped to it for some sort of sealing. The later is the duct I'm trying to trace. It goes into the floor about 1.5' aft of the circuit breaker access area. I don't know this is intended to be a basement duct as there is also another large 3" duct off the heater that goes directly into the basement from the heater into a nicely made aluminum box directly below the heater. When in the basement I could not get a visual on this duct I am questioning. Primarily because down the center channel the water tanks sit and obscure most of my view. Anyone else w/a mid 90s Southwind know what this is or can perhaps look and see if they even have it. Maybe someone added it after the fact but I doubt it as it's not each to get into there and drill the floor after the cabinets are up. But it doesn't seem like a factory approved method for doing this either.

Thanks much,

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #2

You can get cheap lighted snake camera that plug into phones, tablets or laptop. Real small 1.5 " vent up near CB panel I wonder if heat just goes up through wiring chase to keep breaker panel from sweating...just a guess.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
You can get cheap lighted snake camera that plug into phones, tablets or laptop. Real small 1.5 " vent up near CB panel I wonder if heat just goes up through wiring chase to keep breaker panel from sweating...just a guess.
I do have a borescope but getting access to that hose and disconnecting it then feeding a borescope down a corrugated tube and hoping it doesn't get stuck isn't going to be very easy. The duct goes into the floor, nothing to do w/ the breaker panel. I may try to feed the borescope down the center spine of the chassis where the holding tanks are to see if perhaps I can see it but the light on that borescope isn't great and it's deep enough where I cannot get much light into it from where I can access it. I have no idea how people get those tanks out if they need to replace them.

Dave
Old 10-14-2022, 01:36 PM   #4

As suspected I wasn't able to get my borescope to get very are at all before catching on the corrugations and bending. What I did end up doing is taking my leaf blower and sending air down the ducts and using a piece of paper to determine airflow. The first Tee goes to my bathroom duct as suspected. In the rear i'm fairly certain of where it goes but it's a bit confusing. Under my bed there is a vent in the floor that is above one of my holding tanks. I assume it's grey water but It "could" be black also it's a bit of a distance from the toilet which I believe by design dumps right into the black tank generally right? There is no way for me to see any of this as it's all concealed. That compartment where the vent in the floor under the bed seems to be completely sealed. The front of the bed frame has an open vent to the inside of the coach so I assume it is there to warm that tank, then hot air rises out of that compartment through that vent in the floor, then out the vent at the front of the bed frame back into cabin. I do find it strange that I could find no vent and/or they didn't bother to run a vent to the outside shower bay which is the back left bay. It is not open to share warm air w/ that center bay which has the duct going to it. There IS a incandescent light in there which is what they probably expect to keep it warm in winter but i'm unsure exactly how effective that'd be.

Dave
Old 10-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #5

Mine is made just like this.. I guess the dump in basement is to heat the tanks and heat wet bay.. some members post.. they can often operate is 0 or below with no tank heaters .. but generally put 40 to 60w shop light in wet bay.. I just spent the whole yr sealing up gaps and adding insulation in heated part of basement..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-14-2022, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Mine is made just like this.. I guess the dump in basement is to heat the tanks and heat wet bay.. some members post.. they can often operate is 0 or below with no tank heaters .. but generally put 40 to 60w shop light in wet bay.. I just spent the whole yr sealing up gaps and adding insulation in heated part of basement..
But the wet bad is adjacent but not open to this bay under bed that is heated so I'm not sure how that'd help. Any pics of what you have done? I don't see many gaps in mine, it's very well designed. I did reseal the entry of the basement duct under the cabinet that Tees into the bay under the bed today. I wonder why they didn't just use expanding foam on this?

Dave
Old 10-14-2022, 08:23 PM   #7

I think.. at the factory.. idea.. is.. if you cannot see it.. anything goes.. they are under so much pressure to get the unit out the door.. so they just leave it.. and get the unit out.. have you pulled your microwave yet? If like mine.. they left a mess.. I found Hugh hole missing insulation.. .. I am 2nd owner.. the po was 70 when he purchased new.. drove 32,000 miles and then set for one reason or the other.. mainly health problems.. this rv.. was like a time capsule.. exactly like it cam from factory.. no modifications..
With all the kind help from here.. I have slowly be working on it.. now I never have posted pictures.. I could try.. but my wet bay is on drivers side far rear.. next to generator compartment.. and there is no wall between back of wet bay into all the space.. under rear queen bed.. and can see all the way across the tanks to the other side.. if I open pass side rear bay doors.. I can see out.. did someone put in a divider in your wet bay? I plan to winterize tomorrow.. I will try to get pictures and post.. but please don't hold your breath.. now if I can find a teenager.. they could do it so fast.. but me... good luck..
Does yours have front tv? Or 6in round factory speakers above the front seats? Look in there.. I found no insulation.. look under hood.. at bottom of dash.. no insulation there.. I will see what I can do..
Old 10-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #8

I removed the overhead TV in mine (1994) and there is no insulation behind TV or speakers and the front cap. If it's daylight out you can see the glare from sun thru front cap. On warm days that area is balmy LOL!

Also removed the fuse for the TV relay.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
I think.. at the factory.. idea.. is.. if you cannot see it.. anything goes.. they are under so much pressure to get the unit out the door.. so they just leave it.. and get the unit out.. have you pulled your microwave yet? If like mine.. they left a mess.. I found Hugh hole missing insulation.. .. I am 2nd owner.. the po was 70 when he purchased new.. drove 32,000 miles and then set for one reason or the other.. mainly health problems.. this rv.. was like a time capsule.. exactly like it cam from factory.. no modifications..
With all the kind help from here.. I have slowly be working on it.. now I never have posted pictures.. I could try.. but my wet bay is on drivers side far rear.. next to generator compartment.. and there is no wall between back of wet bay into all the space.. under rear queen bed.. and can see all the way across the tanks to the other side.. if I open pass side rear bay doors.. I can see out.. did someone put in a divider in your wet bay? I plan to winterize tomorrow.. I will try to get pictures and post.. but please don't hold your breath.. now if I can find a teenager.. they could do it so fast.. but me... good luck..
Does yours have front tv? Or 6in round factory speakers above the front seats? Look in there.. I found no insulation.. look under hood.. at bottom of dash.. no insulation there.. I will see what I can do..
Mine has what is more than likely factory walls through the entire spine enclosing all but 2 of the basement bays. These are at least 1/4" thick painted corrugated steel walls that run the entire length. There are 2 bays up front which these walls don't exist which allows for pass through and also to "see" the fresh water tank. I have no idea how they got that in there but my guess is through the pass through area. That center spine channel between the basement bays is entirely sealed with the exception of the two bays which allow pass through up front. I'd love to know how they could possibly secure that fresh water tank in that spine area as there is about 2" on either side of the tank and about 10" above. Unless they put it in from the bottom but I cannot see that floor coming out from the bottom to be honest.

I'd love to know if anyone else w/ this model (95 southwind) has any idea on this.

Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221015_115612238.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	378784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221015_115555291.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	378785  

Old 10-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972VWbus View Post
I removed the overhead TV in mine (1994) and there is no insulation behind TV or speakers and the front cap. If it's daylight out you can see the glare from sun thru front cap. On warm days that area is balmy LOL!

Also removed the fuse for the TV relay.
Thanks for the info but how does that pertain to my question?

Dave
Old 10-15-2022, 08:41 PM   #11

So mine is the 2000 storm h30.. so I can't answer your specific questions.. May rear wet bay is next to gray, black and fresh water tank... with no divider.. let's see.. if pictures work.. no.. looks like that is no go for me.. hope you find what your looking for..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
So mine is the 2000 storm h30.. so I can't answer your specific questions.. May rear wet bay is next to gray, black and fresh water tank... with no divider.. let's see.. if pictures work.. no.. looks like that is no go for me.. hope you find what your looking for..
My fresh water is in the center spine channel between the sealed basement bays about mid chassis. Black and grey are both behind rear axle but not sure how they are accessible from top as I cannot see how I could get to them from the bottom. I did replace my knife valves recently and I know where the tanks are, just unsure how i'd ever get ANY of them out.

Dave
Old 10-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #13

I hope you never have to..

Tags
heat, heating, southwind, wind