Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 12:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Right. The headlight switches are pretty robust. Older RV's are infamous for bad grounds, loose wiring connections, electrical connection issues and such though. Doing what I can to lead the horse to water at least.
Each headlight is grounded right at or near the headlight can. Would both grounds be bad at one time?? You should investigate these grounds for continuity but I doubt that is the problem. Led bulbs do use take less amperage, but some are made cheap and do not hold up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #16

!999 F 53 Chassis headlights going out (all four at once)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
Each headlight is grounded right at or near the headlight can. Would both grounds be bad at one time?? You should investigate these grounds for continuity but I doubt that is the problem. Led bulbs do use take less amperage, but some are made cheap and do not hold up.
Thank You, Oldbeek, great insight on the situation.. It does seem very unlikely that all four headlights would have an inadequate (or open) ground at the same time, but if my one low beam bulb that looks dark inside is shorted, would that trip the circuit breaker for all four headlamps ? (Is the headlight circuit breaker built into the Headlight switch assembly on 1999 Ford F 53 ?) Maybe I should hold off (for now) on my idea of converting to LEDs. while I am at it.. and just replace the burnt looking bulb with a standard OEM type replacement bulb, at least for now.
Then if that one new bulb does not cure the issue with the lights, I should verify all head lamps do have a good ground , then it is time to order a headlight switch, I am thinking, because what else would it be, taking all four headlights out at once... Thanks Again Everyone, will update here on what I discover..
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:36 PM   #17

1999 Class A (F-53 Ford) all headlights shutting down

My 1999 Class A (Pinnacle Mountain High) On F-53 Ford Chassis, All headlights shutting down, tail and T signals/marker lights continue to operate..
(Update)
I did order two new twin beam headlight bulbs, OEM type sealed beam halogen. GE 4656, Amazon turned out to be reasonable $21.98 for the pair..
There is one of the old twin beams burnt looking inside (so I replace them in pairs)
The burnt looking bulb is not the reason for headlights shutting off, because all four of them go dark, regardless of whether dimmer is on low beam or high..so it seems like the power is interrupted before the dimmer..
So it seems all but assured that replacing the headlight switch ought to do it.. only one way to find out.. But an OEM replacement (Motorcraft SW-5226) turns out to be hard to obtain.. plenty of online searching brought me to several suppliers who showed it as obsolete/out of stock. Some import cheapies were out there, but I found real bad reviews all over on those. I thought about going with Standard or Dorman, but although those used to be really great replacement parts, it seems like they may not be produced to the same level of quality anymore.. Finally I did locate one supplier who said they expected an order of Motorcraft SW-5226 to arrive about June 6th, so I placed my order about May 26th for $210.93 with tax free s&h.. On June 1st they E mailed me saying "part not available" and my order cancelled.. So it will now be back to my search. I could put the cheapie replacement switch in for about 65 bucks, but I find reports of rapid failure on those and they are not backlit either.. A couple people said the cheapies are so poorly fit to the mounting location, they "fall in" to the opening inside the dash ? Wow.. Lot of things wrong with this picture.. Say does anyone know of sources who market obsolete/ discontinued OEM Ford and-or Motorcraft switches ? Any helpful hints would sure be much appreciated ! If I have to settle for the less costly switch for now, to get the coach so i can drive it, so be it, but I figure I will try this approach first ? Thanks Everyone by the way, it was Jeg's online who seemed to have the Motorcraft SW-5226 on the way, but thier source supplier did not come through.. No fault of Jeg's though, they are usually a great parts place...
Old 06-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #18

I'd say it's time to consider , wiring in relays to take the load off the switch .

Activation power required for a Bosch style relay is 0.2 amps and the load side of the relay will handle 30 amps .
Old 06-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #19

Why not try an inexpensive head light switch from Rockauto. They're not difficult to change.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...mp+switch,4472

Richard
Old 06-03-2022, 09:05 AM   #20

as other mentioned the headlight switch is bad, when you replace it, add in a headlight relay, It takes the power off the headlight switch and stops that from happening down the road.
It is a known issue with fords. I thought they fixed it by the era of your vehicle because we do it to the 70's >thru 80's trucks.
Headlight relay is an easy addon and not too expensive.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:35 AM   #21

(All) Headlamps shutting down, 1999 Ford F-53 Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'd say it's time to consider , wiring in relays to take the load off the switch .

Activation power required for a Bosch style relay is 0.2 amps and the load side of the relay will handle 30 amps .
Thanks for the input, Skip, I will keep that in mind as an idea to consider if all else fails.. At this point, having had no luck in my search for a (new) OEM/ Ford Motorcraft headlight switch, I will opt for an aftermarket replacement, which are readily available.. Once my new headlight switch arrives, It looks like easy install, then with fresh Bulbs installed (checking grounds on everything while I am at it) and new switch in place, My lights should be back to normal.. Hopefully
But in case the headlights still don't work.. Have any of our vintage motorhome owners had failures with the headlight relays ? Perhaps that subject should be a separate thread..
Old 06-04-2022, 11:02 AM   #22

headlamps shutting down, 1999 Ford F-53

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
as other mentioned the headlight switch is bad, when you replace it, add in a headlight relay, It takes the power off the headlight switch and stops that from happening down the road.
It is a known issue with fords. I thought they fixed it by the era of your vehicle because we do it to the 70's >thru 80's trucks.
Headlight relay is an easy addon and not too expensive.
Thank You Pines, I know the Fords used to take a little different engineering approach at times, I am remembering seeing the starter relays up on the fender-well (instead of) on the starter itself.. Maybe that was to cut back the engine heat for the relay itself. The original headlamps on my 1999 were halogen type, which I know demand quite a bit of amperage.. So Ford must have set them up with relays which could be activated by lighter gauge wire from the headlight switch itself.. So any relay that is there would require a good ground, clean and tight, otherwise maybe that might be the issue on my RV ? I am starting to wonder again whether any of our vintage RV owners on the website have had a failure with the headlight relays (instead of headlight switch or ground ?) Meanwhile, I will have to look on the parts house websites and see whether they show any headlamp relay on their list for my application, just out of curiosity .. But I won't be ordering any relays just yet until I have replaced the switch (and bulbs) Thanks everyone, will keep you updated what I found out
Old 06-29-2022, 06:25 AM   #23

BTB4, this may be what your looking for ?

https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ss...adlight+switch

Don
Old Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #24

Headlights quit working, 1999 Ford F-53 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mud View Post
BTB4, this may be what your looking for ?

https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ss...adlight+switch

Don
Yes That is the correct OEM Headlight Switch (Motorcraft SW-5226) but shows "discontinued/unavailable" everywhere I have checked.. I was trying to hold out for the genuine Ford sourced replacement part, but could not find one.. Thank you for your effort to help, Don
Old 07-13-2022, 03:42 PM   #25

Update : All headlights quit - 1999 Ford F-53 motorhome

After a fairly extensive search for an OEM replacement switch (Motorcraft SW-5226) I could not find any supplier who had one available. Aftermarket headlight switches for my application are easy to find, but I had read some reviews which were not favorable about them.. I finally decided to order a Standard Motor Products DS-1385 from Amazon, Cost me about $64.00 with tax.. I replaced both of the twin beam halogen headlamp bulbs due to how old they were (probably factory) - then I put the new switch in (quite easy to access, just had to drill four quick holes in the new switch mount panel, then plug and play) It appears there may be some truth to what I had heard about "cheapening down" on at least some some aftermarket auto parts which used to be made to a higher level of quality, perhaps ? But that would be maybe a subject for a new thread on here, what do ya think, guys ?
I have taken the motorhome out for one weekend camping trip, and so far, it seems my headlights are working as they should be now.. But the new switch does have a very cheap "feel" to it when you click it into the detent for parking lamps or headlight lamps, very vague.. And as the reviews had stated, the new switch was not back lit at night like the original was.. I still would buy a new Motorcraft switch if I can find out who is "hoarding" them (LOL) I want to thank everyone for the great advice and efforts to help me out.. And if any more problems do come up on my headlights, I will then consider putting in a relay setup such as was mentioned..
Old 07-14-2022, 07:13 AM   #26

Glad you got it sorted out. as far as i know Ford has had this problem for a very long time. I have had a 1989 Grand Marquis and a 2005 Grand Marquis both with the same problem. In both cases i had to replace the ELCM. Electric Light Control Module. Both were cured. I still use the 2005. It's not a warm fuzzy feeling to be out there in the boogy lane at 03:00 passing a rig and your lights shut down.

Anyway I just wanted to pass this along if you ever need any used parts. No affiliation just decent folks to deal with.

https://rvparts.visonerv.com/
Old Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:42 AM   #27

https://www.oemford.parts/oem-parts/...ssembly-sw5226
appears to be in stock
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOF-SW5226 - will be special ordered with ETA of 8-15

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...505975779.html you might talk them into shipping it?

couple of options to attempt to pursue. I don't blame you for wanting to get the oem part, I would as well.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #28

Thumbs up Seeking Motorcraft SW-5226 headlight switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
https://www.oemford.parts/oem-parts/...ssembly-sw5226
appears to be in stock
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOF-SW5226 - will be special ordered with ETA of 8-15

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...505975779.html you might talk them into shipping it?

couple of options to attempt to pursue. I don't blame you for wanting to get the oem part, I would as well.
Many Thanks, In The Pines, for your effort to help me locate an OEM switch Motorcraft SW-5226. I took a look at the links you put up, and the OEM parts looks shows none available when I try to add one to the "cart" on there.. The Craigslist ad shows the correct part, but they do state it is a used one, so no way to be sure it is not a part that failed.. Summit says they expect a shipment (back order) in mid to late August, but they say they want to charge me right now (if I place my order using Paypal) I really would rather they do not charge me until they ship my part.. It is a rare part indeed, and they are well aware of that.. Might have to take 'em up on that. In any case, I will let you know what I end up doing, Pines. These older motorhomes will become more challenging to find parts for, for sure.. But I am gonna hang in there

Tags
1999, class a, headlight, headlights, light, lights