Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #1

My old Glastron:

Have you heard this before, "I got this old motorhome"? Well, I do. And I got this problem. I am trying to update the wiring system and I need some help. This rig has a generator and a 20 amp shore plug in. I want to upgrade to 30 amp shore power and my inspection of incoming wire says that this should be doable. My problem is that going to the power converter from the switching relay is a heavy 120 volt wire with a ground wrap around the outside of the wire. I expected to find a hot wire, a neutral and a ground wire. Can anyone tell me why this single wire with a ground was run to a 30 amp cb panel? I know this is how they got the power in but why not use a 3 wire? I would guess the easy fix is just to run a new wire from the switching relay to the new 35 amp power center? Any help clarifying this would be appreciated. I am attaching some pics of the old wiring which is now gone and you can see why!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Demol. 10.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	7796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Demol. 11.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	7797  

Click image for larger version

Name:	working 007.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	7798  
Jimb636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #2

Old and cheap.

In that old MH the builder or person who modified it either had no clue, or were too cheap to di it correctly.

If you are building new system then search for suitable hardware, there are a great many different choices for what is available.

I would suggest a twist-loc connector inside to allow for a standard cord to be used.

You could use a RV specific combo panel that has AC load center and converter all in one, or you could get a small AC load center at Home Depot and use it for all of the AC circuits, and have a seperate panel for the 12 volt system.

You may want to search here for different options for the smaller systems, there may be new units that will work great in your rebuild.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Old Glastron

Thanks for the reply, I am gutting everything and replacing as that will be the safest way. This is what makes it fun to buy this old stuff and see what all the previous owners got away with I guess. Jim
Old 01-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In case you have not found it, a lot of the old vintage RV parts can be sourced through Vintage trailer Supply.

Good luck restoring the old beauty.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #5

TX: Yes i am a fan of vintage trailer, thanks. Jim
Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The wiring just needs to be done correctly.

But if I were you I'd look for an alternate location for that water pump. Seems to me the electrical bay just isn't the best place to install a water pump.

BTW Nifty coach!

Dick
Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is that the same Glastron of boat builder fame?
If so I was not aware they ever tried their hand at building RV's.
Very cool rig

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #8

I guess it's just me, but that OEM wiring center looks quite good and easily accessed, serviced and circuits traced - better and more easily than what's in my own 2 '88 version RVs. Of course, the physical condition of the wiring and components may well need updating and replacement, but the actual design and layout looks good to me.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

I have relocated the electric bay in its entirety and the pump will stay put. Thanks you and I had the same thought about water and power! Jim
Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #10

The very same company! They only built them for about three years and the gas crisis of '73 hit and it was the end. I like them because they are all fiberglas and very thick glass at that. No leaks except the center seam which must be watched. Mine did leak sometime in its life and i was able to repair the damage and the leak when I gutted it. Jim
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #11

Yes, life and electronics were simple 40 years ago huh? I am replacing all that is in the photo with a converter with ac/dc junction all included. I will have also put in gfci oulets and will replace any bum wiring. I finally found out why there is no ground wire from the transfer relay, there isnt supposed to be one! Incoming will always have a hot and a floating neutral or ungrounded neutral. Ground comes off the converter to the chassis. the shore power provides a neutral to the campground earth. Took me a couple days to get it off the internet and figure it out. Jim