Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to CntrlScrtnzr
Mystery Part

Would anyone here happen to recognize this sheered off black bolt, it's threaded into a 14mm or 5/8's nut. notice the square head of the black bolt, it takes an 8mm wrench.
Have a 1980 Fleetwood with a Chrysler 440 V-8, has a 3 spd, Automatic transmission. I dropped the tranny's oil pan to replace the pan's leaky gasket, pan had a small ring magnet in center and this busted bolt & nut laying near it.
Discovered this only after getting this Behemoth home after test driving it a few miles. Put new pan gasket on, which resolved the leak issue.... I'm puzzled... Tranny seems to shift ok...and I've never seen anything like that in an automatic....although, I know about a nickel's worth about automatic transmissions.
It certainly doesn't look like it's been laying there for 40 years.... or even 4 years to me... looks like the adjustment turn bolt for a wheel/gear puller tool.
Anybody recognize this mystery bolt, I'd appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210723_082850.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	337083   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210723_082922.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	337084  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210723_083117.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	337085  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntrlScrtnzr View Post
Would anyone here happen to recognize this sheered off black bolt, it's threaded into a 14mm or 5/8's nut. notice the square head of the black bolt, it takes an 8mm wrench.
Have a 1980 Fleetwood with a Chrysler 440 V-8, has a 3 spd, Automatic transmission. I dropped the tranny's oil pan to replace the pan's leaky gasket, pan had a small ring magnet in center and this busted bolt & nut laying near it.
Discovered this only after getting this Behemoth home after test driving it a few miles. Put new pan gasket on, which resolved the leak issue.... I'm puzzled... Tranny seems to shift ok...and I've never seen anything like that in an automatic....although, I know about a nickel's worth about automatic transmissions.
It certainly doesn't look like it's been laying there for 40 years.... or even 4 years to me... looks like the adjustment turn bolt for a wheel/gear puller tool.
Anybody recognize this mystery bolt, I'd appreciate it.
I cannot offer any information about a tranny oil pan, but I agree with you it looks to be an adjustment screw and locking nut. Hard to tell the size. It looks like part of a tappet adjustment screw, but that would not be anywhere near the transmission oil pan.

I know absolutely nothing about auto trannies, but have heard about "adjusting the bands" when one begins to slip. Don't know if it's even relevant, but it conjures up images of some type of adjustment that could use a wrench, like on the broken part you found.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:09 AM   #3

It's the rear band adjustment bolt and jamb nut.

https://www.google.com/search?q=++to...C_enUS927US927
Old 07-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #4
YC1

Looks like a shock absorber top stud.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:51 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Boogie nailed it!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15434313327...=10001&mkevt=1
Old 07-28-2021, 04:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Looks like a shock absorber top stud.

Inside the transmission pan??
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:12 AM   #7
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Inside the transmission pan??
Well, he asked what it looked like and it does look like a busted off shock top.
I have seen many strange things in my long life.

Opening a commercial two way radio and finding a small roll of solder between a bottom cover and the circuit board amazed me. How the radio worked for years with that potential short circuit was strange.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:45 AM   #8

Dang... never lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
It's the rear band adjustment bolt and jamb nut.

https://www.google.com/search?q=++to...C_enUS927US927
Yes sir, Ya nailed it dead on I believe.... I guess....lol, Not an automatic trans man, have rebuilt some old manual 3 speeds, did a 4 speed Pinto trans once, and have even replaced a couple automatic transmissions in a chevy van, and a Nova

Well now that this mystery part has been solved, May I ask a couple more intriguing questions then sir?? Seems your educated in this subject

1.) What made it break off initially then? /where is the rest-remainder of it located @ & should it be also removed??

2.)Is this something a somewhat mechanical ol-skool
(genius w/ older motors/cars) who's somewhat knowing theoretically how A/T's work, but has never done anything short of fluid & filter pan changes??? Is this rear band adjustment bolt and jamb nut replaceable without major transmission removal/dissection??

Appreciate & respect any & all advice
Old 07-29-2021, 04:34 AM   #9

One can learn alot about a Mopar 727 A/T in an hour or so...lol
May have a solution here already
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...broken.272160/
Old 08-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
It has been awhile since I worked on a Mopar transmission. To answer your question can it be easily replaced if I remember correctly it can be replaced easily.if you can turn the peice that is still in the transmission it will come completely out.and you screw the new peice In.then adjust it according to the manufacture specs. I will see if I can locate my old school transmission service manuals and get the spaces and adjustment procedure for you.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote