Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #1

Need a little detailed winter advice please..

Hey all... the RV in question is a 1979 Itasca Sundancer SE (RB25 model). >>We are out here in Colorado and as we all know the winters out here are not terribly warm. We are full time in our little RV, and the weather will be closing in soon. I will try to break this down quickly and simply so that it doesn't take too much time from your day .

Concerns: Winter insulation for underbelly and piping.

What I've gathered so far: I have done a bit of research on the internet and whatnot and found that people use 40w bulbs strung along the piping and underbelly near the tanks to keep things from freezing up. I have also read that a popular choice for the insulation itself is the pink or blue foamboard insulation from home depot. I have also seen that foam padding or 'pillowing' should be fit into our roof vents...

What I still need to find out: SO...although online I can usually find out what physical MATERIALS to use... there are really no specifics as to how to put it in. Am i supposed to just stack the foamboards from the ground up the the bottom of the RV (i'm assuming this 'method' would just leave gaps for condensation)? Or should I cut the boards to press fit up into the underbelly around all of the suspension and everything then tape or spray foam any gaps in? THEN... if I DO have to cut press fit pieces, do i have to fill the gap from the bottom of the RV to the ground? Or just put plywood skirting around the outside? Also since we plan on inhabiting our coach through the winter is any winterizing of systems necessary? Or is that just for storage purposes? As for the roof A/C is there anything i have to do as far as plugging it up or winterizing? And lastly, we are plugged in to city water and dont use our clear water tank. How would one go about insulating the fresh water hose from the plug in to the RV?

We are at a year round RV park so we're plugged in which is sweet... and we are just going to be using electric space heaters as opposed to our propane. I just don't want to get us stuck halfway through a rough winter and have to get under the coach and redo everything... I am pretty handy with things like this so if i'm told how to do it things should go swimmingly . This is our first RV and our first winter in one. Thanks for all of your help!
sparrowspecv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Heat tape not light bulbs for your pipes. Insulate the best you can under the coach with fiberglass (easier to stuff) and a full belly sheet of plastic and duct tape. Use a heated and wrapped water hose but only hook it up when you need it. Skirting will help a lot.Use fiol covered foam board to shirt. Much easier to cut and shape with a R value. Make sure your water pump area gets a heat source. Shrink wrap window plastic will help. leave cabinets and closet doors open. Cover your AC outside and on the inside cover the AC with plastic, You will need to manage your condensation build up with some air movement and exchange. Make sure your batteries and converter are in top shape. Eventhough your on shore power many of your sytems are converted down to 12v and need healthy batteries and converter/charger.. Silver foil insulation over your windshield and other windows will help. Dont leave your water or sewer drains open, dump when needed and above freezing. And Lastly, Be fire wise! Have good smoke and CO detectors, fire extingushers and use space heaters safely! I hope this helps and good luck
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote