Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #1

Need a new bathroom vanity

Our old vanity is trash with rotted wood and a pink formica top
Anyone know where I get a nice new one?
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Here is one source
Bathroom Vanities at Lowe's: Vanity Sets, Cabinets, Tops
RV vanities = no findie on searchie
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

Check Craigslist for a take-out.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you can't find one off the shelf that fits, any cabinet shop could build one that will.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Building a vanity is super easy. Since an RV vanity is pretty much built in on three sides, your cabinet-making skills are not challenged.

Got to the big-box and find counter top material (laminate or tile) a sink and faucet that will fit, one cabinet door and a small amount of attractive wood like oak shelving, or oak flooring or cabinet-grade plywood for the front.

You probably have enough scrap wood lying around to construct the frame and box.

This is really a quick project except maybe for the close quarters you're working in.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #6

I used the cabinet that was already in our bathroom, but I added to cabinets and a shelf along the back wall in our bedroom. To keep to weight down I use 23/32" plywood for the framing and covered them using a thin paneling that we stained to match our other cabinets. If you would like I can try and dig up some photos of me building the cabinets. I also added a secret compartment to securely store valuables in a impossible to find location.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
I used the cabinet that was already in our bathroom, but I added to cabinets and a shelf along the back wall in our bedroom. To keep to weight down I use 23/32" plywood for the framing and covered them using a thin paneling that we stained to match our other cabinets. If you would like I can try and dig up some photos of me building the cabinets. I also added a secret compartment to securely store valuables in a impossible to find location.
Pictures please
Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #8

Unfortunately, I can not find the actual pictures for the cabinets before the paneling was installed, but I did find some pictures of the rear wall in the motor home which should provide you with some knowledge on how I constructed the cabinets as well along with some other photos that may be helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1912049247.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	19240

This is a photo of the rear wall after we did the wall paper.

Name:	image-1582037446.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	19241

This is a photo of the same wall with the rear shelf framing attached.

Name:	image-965371595.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	19242

Different view of the framing from the above photo.

Name:	image-1831641134.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	19244

Photo of the almost finished product

Name:	image-4138273404.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	19245

Close up of the corner cabinet from the above photo.

Name:	image-4104766059.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	19246

This is the cabinet on the other side of the bed.

Name:	image-3266111643.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	575.9 KB
ID:	19247

Close up view to show you the plywood framing sandwiched between the panel sheets.

Name:	image-3144264419.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	19248

Since I can not find the actual photos that I took during the construction of the cabinets I drew this diagram to illustrate I how I constructed them.

Name:	image-2940521013.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	19249

Angle strip for attaching the corner trim.

Name:	image-353607384.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	19250

Angle strip with the corner trim slid into it.

Name:	image-742587876.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	19251

This is a photo of the corner trim installed on a cabinet.

I have not found a cabinet builder near me yet that has the tools to build cabinet doors that will match the doors on the other cabinets in the motor home. So, there is currently no doors on the cabinets.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

Where did you find that cabinet trim
Old 03-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #10

We ordered it from: www.westandbarker.com

The stuff that we ordered is on page 7 of there online catalog. AL-ZP Aluminum Retainer and one of the RN 444 #'s directly above it on the same page. I forget which size we ordered, but the folks at West & Barker are very helpful. To find it go to the website, select catalog. You will see a list on the middle right of the page titled: Custom Plastic Extrusion Catalog. About half way down the table of contents highlighted in blue it will say: L Mouldings-Angles. Select that and it will take you to the page. They may also carry other trim pieces that may match your particular decor better as well. Good luck I hope I have been able to help. Finding stuff for older motor homes is a nightmare I think it took us a couple of weeks scouring the internet before we stumbled across this website. Let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help and I will be waiting to see some photos of your progress.

Oh, was the drawing helpful?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
We ordered it from: www.westandbarker.com

The stuff that we ordered is on page 7 of there online catalog. AL-ZP Aluminum Retainer and one of the RN 444 #'s directly above it on the same page. I forget which size we ordered, but the folks at West & Barker are very helpful. To find it go to the website, select catalog. You will see a list on the middle right of the page titled: Custom Plastic Extrusion Catalog. About half way down the table of contents highlighted in blue it will say: L Mouldings-Angles. Select that and it will take you to the page. They may also carry other trim pieces that may match your particular decor better as well. Good luck I hope I have been able to help. Finding stuff for older motor homes is a nightmare I think it took us a couple of weeks scouring the internet before we stumbled across this website. Let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help and I will be waiting to see some photos of your progress.

Oh, was the drawing helpful?
I think the building of a vanity is way above my skill level, sooooo I went to a local cabinet shop and got a pleasant surprise. I am having a custom made vanity built with an imitation granite counter top and an imitaion wood front all from actual formica with a set of small shelves mounted to the right of the sink above or on the countertop wrapped in the same mica as the front.

The door under the sink will be flush mounted with hidden hinges and a push to open/close device, it will come with a small back splash, they will install my sink for me and make it removable, my wife is thinking about painting the sink, tub and surround with epoxy paint as a friend of ours did, I was happy with parchment, she is thinking colors.
This vanity will be simple, clean, modern, and elegant

The vanity is 12 inch by 36 inch and the whole job is 300 bucks using formica they have on hand, special order stuff will be 50 bucks more, I was about to drop 200 at the home depot for something I would have to modify and was not that pretty to start with