Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:23 AM   #1

Need advice please

I have a 1988 Aristocrat Motorhome that I inherited. Im trying to figure out if I should fix it up and keep it, fix it and sell it or just sell it.
It needs a Flywheel and the gas tank sat with water in it for almost a year. We arent sure how bad the inside of the tank is because of all the chambers.
It does need all 6 tires replaced. As they are like 15-20 years old.
As far as the inside of it goesit does need a lot of TLC. But doesnt need a whole lot of actual fixing. Just more cleaning. Needs new carpet too.
Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42BAA739-7055-4683-83B0-BF4FD7D293D2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	346204   Click image for larger version

Name:	D62252C4-A694-4D86-88E1-3BDDE137B6C8.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	346205  

Tschida is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 07:47 AM   #2

Why do you think the flywheel is bad? They don't normally fail. I would pump out as much old gas as possible and put some new gas with ethanol in it and run it. I think if it was all fixed up nice it would be worth only $5k or so. With that in mind I wouldn't invest too much actual cash in it. I love the styling of 80's motor homes though.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #3

How much interest do you have in RVing? What is your skill level, what do you fix at home, what do you pay to have someone fix? Same for your car.

One that old that sat so long is going to take a lot more work than you expect. If you can do the work and don't do a lot of upgrades, 500 hours, $5,000 for parts and supplies. That goes up real fast as you find problems while fixing other problems.

If you had no real interest in an RV before you inherited it and you don't want to pay to work a second job for the next year or two I'd take what I could get from it.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There is nothing more expensive than a “FREE” 31-yr old RV that’s been sitting for a few years.

Also, my advice is… when starting a thread it’s best to compose a title that gives a clue about the content of the thread not just a plea for help.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #5

I'm with Argosy and creativepart, sell it as-is for whatever you can get. Clean it up, don't replace the tires, maybe deal with the gas tank as suggested by cadillac al and that's about it. With gas prices the way they are, I wouldn't even fill it up.

It's a sellers market and there are a lot of people looking for inexpensive RVs to live in. What you see that needs fixing is only the tip of the iceberg. If you're truly interested in RVing, take some time to educate yourself and buy something suitable to your wants and needs.

If I inherited a classic car that needed restoration, I'd keep it only if restoring classic cars were my passion.

A 1988 Aristocrat is far from being a classic.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #6

Start on roof 1st.. walk roof.. look and feel for soft spots.. check conditions of all sealant.. then look closely with flashlights at ceiling.. look for staining.. the roof will be the most expensive if needs replacement then all the things you listed.. and if roof is bad.. and they can be on old sitting rv.. then rest of repairs will not add to value.. if you can't do work by yourself and don't have experience and tools.. sell As is cheap.. you will spend more in labor than get for it.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.. there is a free classified section here on this forum.. list it there.. be done with it.. unless you are equip to make repairs
Old 10-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #7

From my understanding is that the starter was being replaced and in the process the teeth on the flywheel got broken.
The gas tank is currently at my friends auto shop. He was trying to clean it out.
Tschida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #8

Thank you for your advice.
Im not that into RVing. My mother-in-law however has several different types of RVs, so shes trying to get me to keep it. But yall are right. If Im not gonna do the work myself then I should just sell it and be done with it. It has been a headache since I was told it was mine.
I do think we will attempt to get it to at least run so it can be moved easier.
Again thank you.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschida View Post
Im not that into RVing. My mother-in-law however has several different types of RVs, so shes trying to get me to keep it. But yall are right. If Im not gonna do the work myself then I should just sell it and be done with it. It has been a headache since I was told it was mine.
Again thank you.
Mother-in-laws are easy to come up with. Not so much the $$$$ this would require to actually go anywhere and use it.

Might have that wrecker drop it in the wood somewhere and use it for a hunting cabin.

Another thought, it will bring around $1,000 for the the guys that do RV demo derbys.

amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:50 AM   #10

If you can get it running and moving under its own power, then sell it fast. Tires alone are going to be over $1,500 even if you buy cheap ones.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt if it is worth anywhere near what you will have to put into it getting it fixed up. Personally, I'd sell it "as-is".

Ken
Old 10-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschida View Post
Again thank you.
I concur with your decision^^.

Just be aware that if you are not doing the work yourself to get it running, and if you don't have a mechanic "buddy" to donate his time at a reduced rate, it will probably cost you as much to get it running as you will get on an "AS IS" sale. Something to think about and do a little figuring out, on paper.

It might be better to donate the RV to a charity that accepts vehicles. You will get no cash, but the vehicle will be removed and you will be able to deduct the "value" from your taxes, if that's a consideration. Bottom line, it will be gone with no expense to you.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:50 AM   #13

Doesn't sound like it is something you need to get into. I have an older coach and a fair amount of mechanical and handyman skills. Topping that off, I love mine. This doesn't sound like you. Mother in law will have to get over it.

Hard for me to picture how flexplate teeth got broken on a Chevy starter replacement. Sounds terribly amateur. But anyway, that's a tough one to overcome. The transmission has to be removed, or at least "pulled back" enough to get at the flexplate bolts. Not that big a deal in a truck, little tougher in an RV. I think I'd look for someone familiar with such work that does such "on the side". Because, non-running, it's kind of a pile of scrap that you would have to pay to get removed. Running enough for a buyer to at least drive it home means that you can at least get back the money you spent on fixing it. Fix the absolute minimum though. You're selling it as a project or fixer upper. If things don't go too bad with todays' market you might catch someone with some big dreams and even make a few dollars.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice