Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

need electrical help on Mobile Traveler

I posted this on the Technologies forum and they recommended that I post it here.
1986 Ford E-350 with a Mobile Traveler Jubilee body floor plan 270RTB. I bought it with no generator in it. I thought that I could just hook up a battery bank and inverter and just plug my 115 cord in it to get 115v. From reading these forums I have realized that its not as simple as that. In the rear compartment (outside) there are Pos. and Neg. battery cables that I assume used to be hooked to a generator or battery bank, a gas line and and 4 other 12 or 14 gauge wires in plastic conduit. Their colors are red, yellow, black and brown. Also mounted in the compartment is an electrical box with a cover on it. Inside are a black, white and green wire. These are 10 or 12 gauge and I assume these are the 115 volt wires. I tried tracing out the wires but the only thing I could determine is that the big wires 1 went to ground and the other went to (i think) the L/H battery. I tried to find the 12V fuse panel and could only find the one for the vehicle. I couldn't find the 115v panel either. I also assume that from the looks of the wiring that it hasn't been cobbed up. I've tried searching the internet for this motor home, but since they went out of business in 1990 there isn't much info around. I guess a start would be if anyone out there has any info on the wiring or if they could tell me where to look for the fuse panels or tell me where to get information I would appreciate it. I've been a mechanic most of my life but have never worked on the electrical system of a motor home. I'm afraid that I'm making too many assumptions.---the old wanderer
Old Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wanderer View Post
In the rear compartment (outside) there are Pos. and Neg. battery cables that I assume used to be hooked to a generator or battery bank,
Yes they run from the Generator to the AUX battery on the drivers side of the engine compartment. The NEG cable may go to the frame and the Neg Post of the battery may also.
Quote:
a gas line
Should go to the rear fuel tank and stop ¾ of the way to the bottom of the tank. This is so you would not run the tank dry and you would not be able to drive out.
Quote:
and and 4 other 12 or 14 gauge wires in plastic conduit. Their colors are red, yellow, black and brown.
These go to a remote generator start/stop switch and light mounted somewhere in the MH maybe under or near the kitchen sink.
Quote:
Also mounted in the compartment is an electrical box with a cover on it. Inside are a black, white and green wire. These are 10 or 12 gauge and I assume these are the 115 volt wires.
These are the 120 VAC wires that go to the transfer Switch. Your shore power cable will also go to this transfer box.
Quote:
I tried tracing out the wires but the only thing I could determine is that the big wires 1 went to ground and the other went to (i think) the L/H battery. I tried to find the 12V fuse panel and could only find the one for the vehicle. I couldn't find the 115v panel either.
Should be near the floor inside, maybe under the closet or under the dinette table seat. May have a black drop down door and it will swing open and lay on the floor by turning the small knob at the top center of the door.

Maybe at these locations:

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
This may help also:

/
Old 05-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #4

SUBFORD--- The information you sent was a GREAT help. I thought that the cables in the rear compartment went to the L/H battery and the fuel line went to the gas tank. The smaller wires I didn't realize they went to the remote starter switch. That is up by the sink along with an hour meter. I thought that the generator had been taken out or the hour meter had been replaced because it had only 3.5 hours recorded. Also on the sink is a battery condition meter, three switches and three gauges (gray water, fresh water and holding tank). One switch shows battery condition, one runs the pump and the other lights up the gauges. I found the transfer box along with the 120V circuit breakers and the 12V fuse panel. That was underneath one of the beds in the rear. Under the other bed was the furnace. The hot water tank and water tank were under the seats for the table. The power convertor is a 45 AMP with a battery charger. It is a series 6300 model 6345 UL made by BW Manufacturers. I couldn't find anything about them on the net. I'll bring home some test eqipment tomorrow night and start checking out the circuits to make sure they haven't been messed with. The wiring diagram you attached will help a lot. I downloaded the "Electrical Tutorial" and that will be a help explaining how and why the transfer switch, power convertor and the charger do what they do. I'm sure I'll have at least a couple more questions after I do that. Many Thanks.---the old wanderer
Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Parallax/ Magnetek bought B-W Manufacturers.
Here is a link to get the line drawings for the 6300 series.

PPS LINEAR CONVERTERS TECHNICAL

&

http://www.parallaxpower.com/linear.htm

/
Old 05-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #6

subford---When I got home tonight I checked the volts in the L/H battery. It was 10.5V. I checked the big wires in the back compartment and they read the same. I started the vehicle and both batteries started taking a charge and the back compartment wires read the same as the L/H battery. I figure that part is working as it should. Then I got out my fire extinguisher and plugged in to shore power. Both batteries started taking a charge. The L/H battery was at a lower rate but I think I read somewhere that was normal. Best of all there was NO smoke. all the lights and other things that ran on 12V all worked. I checked the outlets and all but 2 showed 120V. One was the GFI outlet in the bathroom. I'll take a radio out tomorrow nite to make sure.
Now a couple of questions. Do I have to put a generator back in or can I put a battery bank in and charge them from the vehicle system while I drive and use them for the 12V power while I'm parked? Can I wire an invertor to the battery pack and wire it to the wires in the back compartment that hooked to the A/C output of the generator? I'm not sure if doing that would activate the charger. If it does it would be like taking the charge out of the batteries to charge them. I'll have to read up on that one.LOL Thanks for all the help.---the old wanderer
Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #7

Oh yeah, thanks for the links on the power convertor. I know they will be a great help.---the old wanderer
Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #8

You may have to upsize your alternator to accommodate the charge rate for a huge battery bank (relative to what came w/the coach). This is usually fairly easy. Otherwise the inverter idea sounds workable. Make sure you've traced all wires to be certain of their functions and are not relying on any assumptions. Also make sure you have no cross connects on drain loads between chassis & house banks, or that you understand the discharge rate and can manage recharges as will be required.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
You also would have to have a switch to turn off the inverter while the batteries are charging and you would have to trip the breaker to the converter before closing the switch to the inverter.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #10

Engineer Mike and subford---I've been running out between raindrops today checking out things in the old motor home. Almost everything runs on 12V. The only things that dont are the refrigerator and A/C. The fridge will run on propane and some people say it's ok to run on propane while you're driving and other people say the opposite. I figure I'll run it propane and keep it shut off while I'm driving. I shouldn't be going in it that much. That leaves the microwave and a coffee pot. I'll see if they make 12V ones and what they cost. If it's a lot I'll just get 120V ones. I'll wire in an inverter to run the A/C and could always put in an outlet to run the coffe pot and microwave and might be able to run the fridge too. I don't plan on using the A/C very much, a fan blowing on me will do it most of the time. I'll figure up how many watts I'll need and how many batteries I'll need next weekend if it's nice out.---the old wanderer.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
You know you could always go to a RV Salvage yard and get a used generator.
I have always drove with my refrigerator on propane. When I get to an RV park I switch it 120 VAC.