Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

Need Help with 1990 Pace Arrow

I'm a new member and new to owning a motorhome. I'm having a frustrating problem. I've got a 90 pace arrow, 35ft. This just recently started. First it was my electric jack's not coming back up? I was able to get them up by hand but haven't yet found the issue. Now it's in starting process. I've got the main power shut off breakers above the entrance door turned on. Put key in ignition and I get usually one click under the hood? Battery is good, even put on charger for a day. Tried boosting it, nothing but a click. Tried grounding the battery to the frame. Cables are clean and tight. Tried hitting on starter. Checked all fuses I'm aware of. Only one blown is for the jacks. I can put new fuse in it and it blows instantly. I tried all I know to get it started and nothing. Just a click. Can someone help me please.
Rodney B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I would start with the solenoid for the starter. You can short across the two big wires to engage the starter motor. This will tell you if there is a problem with the solenoid. Easy fix with a new solenoid. If you are hearing a click that indicated that the key switch is sending power to the solenoid. About the Jack disconnect the power wire from the jack then install a new fuse if it does not blow then touch the power wire to the jack motor if it blows then you have a problem with the jack. There might be a solenoid involved as well. A little more information on the brand of jack would be helpful
Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

I have no idea on brand of jacks. Haven't seen anything in manual but I'll try looking at them tomorrow to see if I can find anything. It's not one jack it's all for leveling Jack's that wont come up. How can I keep up with this page if I lose it?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #4

join the terminals on the solenoid with a large plastic handled screw driver, it will quickly tell you if the solenoid is good. If the starter just whines and spins its no good. Easy to replace with basic wrenches..
Alansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Thank you much!
Old 04-09-2019, 06:08 AM   #6

best of luck to you,is this a 454 gm engine?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #7

No sir, it's a FORD 460
Old 04-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Alan may have asked because GM solenoids are on the starter and Ford ones are separate (at least they used to be, I'm still learning about newer engines). A single click could indicate a bad solenoid, multiple clicks used to mean low voltage to it...DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional mechanic, nor have I ever played one on television...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:08 PM   #9

Yes the 1990's 460 will have a divorced solenoid most likely on the left side of the engine compartment they have been know to fail especially if the previous owner was trying to crank the engine with a low stating battery.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
Alan may have asked because GM solenoids are on the starter and Ford ones are separate (at least they used to be, I'm still learning about newer engines). A single click could indicate a bad solenoid, multiple clicks used to mean low voltage to it...DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional mechanic, nor have I ever played one on television...
yes Dave, thanks! you bailed me out on this.I worked in the late 60s and the early 70s in my dad's car shop and Mobil Service station, so I know a lot but not all by any means,and I've owned over 50 cars and trucks, and the vintage 82 Airstream motorhome.I still have a 70s car, but can no longer play with it due to my stroke disabilities.Kinda miss wrenchin' on stuff.The 454 gm in the moho, was always acting up until I replaced the starter with a billet model.
Also I wrapped all the wiring in heat protection.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #11

I've checked and even replaced the solenoid. It made no difference. Very aggravating. Ideas where to go from here? I'm at a loss.....
Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #12

Do you have a voltmeter or test light or both? Makes testing for electrical issues much easier.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:00 AM   #13

Yes sir I've got both.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #14

Measure the voltage on both sides of the starter solenoid while trying to crank the engine. You should have around 12.5 volts on both sides of the solenoid if the solenoid is good. If that's the case , then the problem is from the solenoid to the starter or the starter itself. Before replacing the starter , remove the cable and clean it then try again. If there is 12 volts on one side of the solenoid and no voltage on the other , then the solenoid is the problem. The solenoid should click when trying to start the engine. If it doesn't you can jumper the small terminal to the battery side of the solenoid.
Make sure you have the transmission in PARK.

Tags
need help