Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Need Help with a 1994 Winnebago Vectra

I'm trying to help out a friend that has a 1994 Vectra diesel 5.9/ MD3060 drivetrain on a Spartan chassis.

He is having transmission control unit problems, the coach would not start so he cleaned the connector at the trans and the coach started once or twice then would not start again. He now suspects the TCU may be bad and wants to run through the troubleshooting but, he can not find the TCU on his coach! does anyone know where Winnebago hid the TCM ?
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #2

I believe the plug is under the dash. With the ignition on there is a trouble shooting program on the trans control. I don’t recall the exact sequence but it involves pushing two buttons as the same time, numbers will appear, and those numbers can be crosschecked with a code explainer to see what’s going on.

Ours is a 93 with the same motor trans. I had a service alert and it turned out to be a common down shifting issue that Allison no longer supports. Trash trucks use the same trans and our mechanic said it is something recommends learning to live with.

Is there any chance the starting issue is a fuel delivery issue?
Old 02-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
I believe the plug is under the dash. With the ignition on there is a trouble shooting program on the trans control. I don’t recall the exact sequence but it involves pushing two buttons as the same time, numbers will appear, and those numbers can be crosschecked with a code explainer to see what’s going on.

Ours is a 93 with the same motor trans. I had a service alert and it turned out to be a common down shifting issue that Allison no longer supports. Trash trucks use the same trans and our mechanic said it is something recommends learning to live with.

Is there any chance the starting issue is a fuel delivery issue?
He is trying to locate the transmission control module, to test the pinouts for power and ground issues. If that all checks out good then he will send out the TCM for a rebuild, but first he has to find where Winnebago hid the TCM. The pinouts testing sequence is available online.
http://www.transmissioninstruments.c...eshooting.html
He is a days drive away so I'm trying to help long distance. It is not fuel related, it's definitely a trans control issue.

I just went through this on my coach and ended up having to replace the TCM.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

There’s an aluminum box under the dash that has an umbilical cord going to the shift panel. That might be what he’s wanting to find. It’s about the size of two eight track tapes stacked.

I just checked for access to under the dash and that is difficult. We have the shades in place and I would have to remove one to open the door. The driver’s compartment is now used for storage until we rearrange for the trip home.

Sorry
Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
There’s an aluminum box under the dash that has an umbilical cord going to the shift panel. That might be what he’s wanting to find. It’s about the size of two eight track tapes stacked.

I just checked for access to under the dash and that is difficult. We have the shades in place and I would have to remove one to open the door. The driver’s compartment is now used for storage until we rearrange for the trip home.

Sorry
I'll have him look there. Thanks.

Tags
need help, winnebago