Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to uluvpoems2
Need to drain the fresh water tank!

Fresh Water Tank

Hey Guys/Gals:
I have a 1977 Holiday Rambler Imperial 5000...I need to drain the fresh water tank in order to store over winter. I can't seem to find the drain! HELP! please.

Thanks,

Tom

luvpoems4u@yahoo.com
uluvpoems2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

There should be a line with a valve off the side of the tank. Sometimes it is easier to get underneath and look up where the freshwater tank is for the line to come through the floor.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluvpoems2 View Post
I can't seem to find the drain! HELP! please.
Most tanks don't have drains - they have an outlet that runs to the water pump and the drain is on that line. Many tanks use "spin on" fittings, and they look like they have a hexagonal head that you could unscrew. Don't try to unscrew it - you will break it and be in big trouble. The hex head is used/grabbed by a matching adapter on a high speed tool - usually a router - that spins so quickly it melts the fitting into the tank with friction. It won't hurt to leave a small amount of water in the tank over winter - and most of us have to leave some in, as it's just not possible to get it all out.

Just get as much out as will come out of the drain fitting connected to the tank outlet.
Sportscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They're called low point drains, and your 77 HR probably has two, and maybe three, depending on its size. At the least there should be one near the fresh water tank which is usually under the bed; and another one near the water pump, which is usually not too far from the tank.

As mentioned above, an easy way to locate how many and where is by looking under the trailer. If you see a short tube poking down through the bottom, that's a low point drain and the valve will be directly above that tube.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to uluvpoems2
Thanks for all the responses! This unit has been parked for sometime now, and winter is just around the corner! Hopefully I can find the value! I appreciate all the help!
God bless!

Tom

THE HUSH OF AUTUMN

The year’s in the meadow,
The day’s by the stream;
Fog rises early at dawn -
The dew dries on the cedar;
The sparrow sweetly sings;
The roses fold at night;
And the hush of autumn-
Is but a whisper in time!

Epaphroditusİ September 15, 2013
uluvpoems2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

Mine is on the other side in a lower compartment, with a fair size on/ off lever. I have a 91 Seabreeze. There is a plastic hose heading toward the ground. If you happen to have an outside shower you nan drain it that way.
Warning___that will not get all of the lines drained, unless you remove the plastic plug in the water heater and open all the faucets including the shower.

Better read up on it. Broken plastic lines can be expensive.
anneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #7

draining water for winter

You tube should have a video on how to drain the water out of your RV for winter. We use pink RV antifreeze. Some use a compressor to blow all the water out of the lines. Best of luck with this task.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water