Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #701

Thanks guys. I didn't spend much time on the rv tonight, except to install the TPMS. Seems like quite a bit of $$ for all there is to one of these, but it seems to work well regardless. It will definitely be easier to keep track of pressure, and it will certainly give me a little piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Piker,

Out of curiosity (I may need to do the same one day on a not-yet-purchased rig) what type of spray setup do you have?

Am I correct that the end cap was white fiberglass? Then, what type of paint did you use? How many coats?

Thanks!
CWK, I'm just using an old Devilbiss conventional automotive paint gun. I borrowed it from a friend at work... then realized when I got home that the old Craftsman paint gun I have is identical. I suspect it was made by Devilbiss for Sears. I've been using it to spray oil under my vehicles for years... I think I'll put new orings in it and have myself a nice paint gun. It's almost never been used. The air compressor is a 60 gallon vertical tank I picked up for free from an old Ingersoll compressor that blew up. I think it's 5hp 220v. I bought a v-twin pump from harbor freight that's supposed to put out 17 cfm @ 90 psi. I don't know if that's for real or not, but it puts out more air than I'll ever need. For all the more I paid for it... it's already paid for itself. If the pump doesn't last, so what... they're a dime a dozen. I run the air through a homemade dryer that I constructed using the air conditioning condenser out of the rv. The dash air on the rv didn't work when we bought it, and needed more work than it was worth to repair.

The paint was DuPont Nason single stage urethane enamel. It's decent stuff. Yes, the end cap is fiberglass. I just wet sanded it with 400 and then 600 grit and painted right over the old paint... no additional sealer or primer. DuPont said no problem doing that as long as what I was painting over was fully cured. I think 23 years is long enough to cure paint. I laid down a medium coat and let it tack up for just a few minutes... then hit it with a nice wet coat and called it done. It actually looks kinda ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Looks great Piker. Just asking, why did you paint out side and not in the shop?

ronspradley
Ron, two reasons for painting outside. For one, I don't have any ventilation in the garage. And I didn't want overspray on everything. And two... It wasn't all that warm out Sunday. It barely hit 70, so I backed the bus into the driveway so the sun would warm the fiberglass and help the paint dry. It worked well, and within an hour of laying down the second coat, it was tack free.

All in all it turned out pretty good for an amateur. I won't hesitate to do the rest of the spraying on the project... if indeed we decide to continue with the restoration. Which I think... and hope... that we will... God willing.

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #702
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Piker, Thank you for taking the time to share more of the information. I found the Technical Data Sheet for the paint you used and learned a lot from that as well. This may open up many more possibilities when searching for a "new" rig for us in the future. Again, thanks for sharing.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #703

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Piker, Thank you for taking the time to share more of the information. I found the Technical Data Sheet for the paint you used and learned a lot from that as well. This may open up many more possibilities when searching for a "new" rig for us in the future. Again, thanks for sharing.
I forgot to mention that the product is called "Ful-Thane" It's Dupont Nason's single stage 2K urethane automotive paint.It's a little more affordable than some automotive finishes, but I think it's pretty high quality... or so I've been told.

2k just means it's two part - paint plus hardener that you mix separately. It does not require clear coat.

-cheers
Old 04-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #704

Gulf Streamers Club
Dupont Nason "Ful-Thane" is what I used on my old coach. I also replaced a cheap 30 year old Sears Craftsman spray gun with a Eastwood HVLP. Worked as good as can be expected when painting outdoors. At least it was under the shed cover that I park the MH in. That is my 20/20 paint job. Looks good at 20 feet and 20 mph.

ronspradley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copper Breaks SP.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	159611  
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #705
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ron,

(I hope Piker doesn't mind.) Quick side question:

What did you use for masking the edge of the different colors? Blue painter's tape? Or, is there something much more appropriate?

I am also thinking along the lines of more complex curves (think: swirls, etc.) in different colors. I thought of having vinyl masks cut by machine. I believe there is a special type of vinyl suitable for this purpose. Then, any graphics would be painted on instead of applying vinyl graphics on top of the paint that may peel after a few years or so.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #706

CWK,

I ended up using regular blue masking tape on all the straight lines. For curved stuff, you can go to an autoparts store that sells paint and they will have special flexible masking tape in varying widths. It works pretty good... I masked off the HR symbol on the back of the RV so I didn't have to replace it. Picture below.

I also got the new clearance lights put in. And took a photo from the side so you can see the paint up close. It's not too bad. It doesn't seem to match the new side perfectly... it's a little lighter... and it has a little less orange peel. Could be because the side had grey epoxy primer under it and this was white underneath. It's pretty close though...

Next is to install the new third brake light... reinstall the ladder standoffs... and the tail lights. I've also got some more tape to remove, and then caulk around the vinyl trim and lights. After that, I might take a break.

-cheers

Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #707

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looking good.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:02 AM   #708

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice job Piker
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #709

Gulf Streamers Club
Pictures look great Piker. CWK, I also used the regular blue painters tape. And I bought the tool that holds a roll of tape and a roll of paper and applies the tape to the paper and you just roll it off. Saves a ton of time. I got mine at Home Depot. And for curves, I used some 1/4" pin stripe tape that I had laying around, just applied that and then taped to it with the blue painters tape. I am sure you could get a sign company to cut some custom vinyl and your graphics. Would like to see that. Later, everyone.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #710

The rear end is all back together - lights all in and working, and seams caulked. Ready for camping. Needs washed though...

The new paint is definitely lighter looking than what they sprayed on the new side panels. Again... I assume it's because I didn't lay down any primer underneath. I've been told that primer color can affect final color. I guess it's close enough though. Has to be now since I'm finished...

I tore a little paint off around the rear window when I removed the masking for the caulk... I should have known better than to even touch the paint for a few weeks. Maybe I can touch it up someday. I've never done any touch up before, so I don't really know how to make it blend in...

We will put some new HR logo stickers on it someday... just not now. I probably won't do any more cosmetic work on it until after our trip this summer, but the old side is looking extra bad now that it's right next to fresh paint on the rear cap. Still holding on to the hope we can finish the driver's side someday... just not holding on too tightly.

all for now

-cheers

Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #711

Oh, and I was thinking today that it was about a year and a half ago when we built the first sidewall panel and hung it... no delamination or weird bulging of any kind as of yet. Looks the same now as it did when it was first hung. Pretty happy about that since I wasn't sure it was going to work at all when we started.

cheers
Old 04-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #712

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Piker,
Even though it might not be show quality, it still makes the coach look great. You have something to be proud of and you did it yourself.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #713

Winnebago Owners Club
I think it looks great. Get out camping. 90% of the folks walking by will never notice. Of the 10% who do only 1 will make a comment. That will lead to a whole new conversation about the upgrades and future plans. Sounds like a winner to me.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:14 PM   #714

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Piker, she looks great! The new side looks great too! Rail!