Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #1

New Member, New RVer, LP Problem !

Greetings everyone.

I recently purchased a used RV, I have had a popup in the past so I am somewhat familiar with the electrical systems that are used. I now find myself confused with the propane system.

1984 Shasta Class C, Chevy G-30 chassis.

When I turn open the propane tank, Nothing. no stove, no water heater and no fridge. The needle on the monitor panel gauge reads over the fill mark and when I say "over the full mark", I mean it swings fast and gets stuck past the full mark and I have to tap the gauge to get it unstuck after I have released the button.

I had read about tank freeze and overfilling and a lot of people refer to the OPD, but I don't think my 1984 has such a device.

With the propane valve open, I tried to light the stove. It didn't sound like there was any propane present at the burner, it didn't hiss and then I could smell propane but not from the stove..

Is this a regulator issue? Overfill issue ? Tank freeze ?

Thanks
BadLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #2

The service valve on the tank has a full flow shut off as a safety in case of a ruptured supply line .
If the lines in the RV are empty , and the valve is opened quickly, that can trigger the safety to shut off flow. This can happen on BBQ tanks too.
To re-set , close the service valve , make sure all propane appliances are off, and open the valve very , very , slowly, back pressure in the system keeps the safety open. Then try to light the stove.

BTW: Welcome to iRV2.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #3

Do you hear a whisle inside?

You should have a gas detector below your fridge tgat will need to be reset after you turn on the gas.

Ooen slow as others advised.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies,

A whistle, No.
LP detector in a 1984 ?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

PS..

I did turn on the propane slowly, not very very slowly.. without any results

I looked around and I didn't any type of electrical valve that would cut off the propane from the tank, I did see an electrical valve inside the service door for the fridge, but I can hear that open and close when I attempt to run it on LP
Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Larry it might be like my gas grilll.....when it hasn't been used for a while I have to remove the regulator and rap it on something solid to get the safety valve to release so the gas can flow....not the best way but it works for me. Try giving your regulator at the tank a solid rap with the gas turned off and then turn it on very, very slowly.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #7

This is whats confusing me.. After I turned on the gas at the tank, I went in and tried to light the stove... No gas, No air nothing coming out of the burner. When I turned off the stove valve, I smelt LP but it wasn't coming from the stove..

Lost and confused.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

Loosen the regulator from the tank valve and crack the valve to make sure there is propane in the tank . Because the electric gauge your using could be shorted and giving a false full reading.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #9

That's what confuses me. I could smell propane after I tried to light the stove.. but it wasn't coming from the stove..

I try anything at this point, short of trying to cut the valve off with a torch !
ERRRRR !!!!

thanks for all the info
Old 08-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #10

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Loosen the regulator from the tank valve and crack the valve to make sure there is propane in the tank . Because the electric gauge your using could be shorted and giving a false full reading.
Yup, after calling the previous owner.. The propane is empty, the gauge is broken and that smell... It was the long lighter that I was using.

But I'm off to get the propane filled now and I hope everything works as the previous owner said.. I was able to register it which enabled me to drive it and run out all the old gas and fill it w fresh gas. With the new gas and a good carb cleaning the generator fired right up.

I filled the fresh water tank, ran the sinks, toilet and shower and got all the RV anti freeze out. On my way to fill the propane, I'll pour some bleach in the fresh tank and let it splash around then rinse out all the lines when I get back.

If I have time, I'll track down that short on the lp gauge. I didn't really look at it but it seems as though that the more lp the tank has, the less resistance to gnd
It has.. Maybe a bad sending unit or a pinch in the wire somewhere.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Glad you got it pretty much figured out and the rest of the systems seem to be responding to your TLC. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

yes, It was out of LP. Stove, furnace, water heater and fridge all lit up as I hoped

thanks again.

Tags