Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2022, 07:59 AM   #1

New owner 97 Damon daybreak

1 or 2 house batteries, I see 1?
How do I turn on house AC?
Does plugging the RV into a receptacle charge house batteries and allow all house devices to work?
Thanks, Pete
Pete2950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2022, 03:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete2950 View Post
1 or 2 house batteries, I see 1?
How do I turn on house AC?
Does plugging the RV into a receptacle charge house batteries and allow all house devices to work?
Thanks, Pete
A) Generally class-a RV from your era use two 6V deep cycle batteries for the house portion of the RV, then one engine start battery for the engine, headlights, turn signals and marker lights.

The 6V batteries can be in a basement compartment, in the area between the bumper and radiator, and even under the entry door steps.

The engine battery, on a gasoline powered coach is almost always ahead of the radiator.

Now,... the previous owner could have removed 2X 6V batteries, and replaced them with a single 12-volt. If so, I would go back with the 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries.

B) House roof mounted A/C will not run with just the engine running. Either the coach needs to be plugged into a power pedestal, or the generator has to be running for to supply the roof A/C with 120 V power.
Plus, you need 12V DC power to operate the wall mounted thermostat.

The dash engine powered A/C should operate when the engine is running.

C) Converter chargers in RVs, of that era, convert 120V AC shore power into 12V DC power. The converter generally only charges the house batteries. Almost no coaches use the converter to charge the engine batteries.

Note:
Typically, the engine alternator will charge both the chassis 12V and the 2X 6V house batteries with the engine running.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:45 AM   #3

Makes sense for 12vdc to tstat.

Cab ac control is bent inside cable and the lever won't move to cool position. Just something else for me to work on.
Thank you much.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:09 AM   #4

I have a 97 daybreak with ford v8 460 cu in...Have someone strip out your convertor charger and go over all the soldered joints especially the final output parralel wirewound (heavy ) resistors ,or you may find very intermittent 12 volt charging when hooked up to 125 volt pedestal or on your genny ! Regards,sorry for delayed info ,just passing the time away on a rainy uk day !!!
micknsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:36 PM   #5

Thanks micknsue, I put in 2 deep cycle 6v batteries. I still haven't found the house fuse panel. I have limited time to run to the storage lot and work on things ( 2 weeks since last visit).16 month old baby slows me down. Somebody also took the catalytic converter, most likely the first week it was there. No cameras in that corner. Rainy day here too, NE, US. My Bailey branch hailed from Yorkshire, just a normal day. Safe travels.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:17 PM   #6

If not mentioned, best to leave the batteries/positive group disconnected for storage if your still figuring stuff out and not charging. Just ziptie all ones from pos side. I only say positive because a few inverters you should disconnect pos first per manufacturer instructions. You don't want to run down a new set of batteries . It's new to you you don't how it's going to behave.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A 97 never had a catalytic converter, rather is has a resonator. That kinda looks like a converter but it isn't ( thief will be disappointed). It's more of a muffler.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #8

Cats came out mid 70s . I think my first car a 75 Camaro had big pellet can convertor .
But I found this
Catalytic converters have been installed on some medium- and heavy-duty trucks since*as early as 2001, but with the tightening federal emission standards, they have been installed on most medium-duty trucks since 2006.
Didn't actually find exact info on motorhome.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:27 PM   #9

My 1993 Ford class A had a catalytic converter on it. Various gurus on here have stated that one year later and more it would not have had one. Then after a couple of years they started using them again. I've seen proof a 1995 just like mine did not and never had a converter. All I know. I've been curious as to why they did not install converters for a couple years after they had started installing them. Some law got relaxed I expect. Or a temporary loophole was found.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:49 AM   #10

So, in NJ my RV is no longer required to go through inspection . Out of curiosity I wonder w he at difference in back pressure a catalytic converter would have compared to a resonator ( and why bother with a resonator). Environmentally, I wouldn't mind putting in the CC if I can just clamp it in place.
Meantime I might have wrecked the house inverter playing with the batteries. Still no idea where the breaker panel might be. External power comes in by the shower. Back to child watch
Old 11-30-2022, 07:38 PM   #11

Pete,
No the difference in back pressure in the exhaust will not matter on that engine.
If you want to save your new house bank and get to actually use it, change out the junk converter in there for a new one that is 3 or 4 stages of smart changing. Your batteries will love you for it.
Good source is "Best Converter. I don't have a link.
Frank - the refugee from dyno land with a 50yo coach
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:42 AM   #12

Thanks much. Now I just need to find the converter...and electric panel. I have a bunch of manuals, and schematics - no physical location.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #13

No idea on yours. On mine the transfer switch and converter are in the same lower compartment as the shore power cord. The breaker panel is under the side of the bed which although it's inside the actual coach, is still only about three feet away from the rest of that stuff. It would seem sensible to be to group that sort of thing fairly close together rather than to string wires all over the place no matter who made the coach. So I'd start looking close to the power cord.

Plus, my older converter hums any time the coach is plugged in and makes some heat. I had newer fancy converter (which died) which was a lot quieter but it still hummed. Barely made any heat though.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #14

Thanks,narrowing the search will help with my limited time. I still have some electrical tools, so I can trace wires - eventually...
Good possibility that my wife will be taking a position outside Boston early January - just to add to confusion.

Tags
damon, new owner