Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
New to all of this :)

I am new to the forums and all other aspects of the site. I joined in hopes of finding some information on my camper. It's a 1967 Phoenix Travel Coach according to the title.

I am also new to campers. I have been camping for 50 years but always in a tent, until now. Everything works, but I am confused on a couple of things.
First, there is 2 sets of lights throughout the place, one works on electric and I'm guessing the other on battery. Where would I find the location for that?

Second, any suggestions on where the water pump would be located on this?

Third, also have a gas lantern on the wall, and no idea on how to use that either.

A manual would be awesome, but, I can not find any information on this Phoenix.

I'm sure there's more questions but those are my top ones for now.

Thanks in advance for any help you're willing to give.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

RV with all three light systems , I haven't seen that in a long time .
Propane mantels had to be replaced after ever move , so they discontinued that set up.

Manufacturer , probably disappeared before the internet so I can't see the net being any help.
If there is a 12 volt water pump , it would be close to the fresh water tank .
Have you found that yet?

Could you post some pictures , that may jog someones memory .
Old 09-15-2017, 03:42 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I actually found mantles for it in a drawer. I will try to post some pictures later today. There is a tag on the outside of door that says Heckaman Manufacturer Nappanee, IN. I did Google that, the only info I came across was the company got hit by a tornado. I also found a flier for the company. I have really slow internet but I am going to try and load that too.

Is the fresh water tank the large holding tank? It is very large. If that is it, I have seen lines that run off to the sink etc. I don't recall anything that looks like a pump.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #4

Some "campers" of that vintage didn't have electric water pumps. Do you have a switch marked for a water pump? Many had a manual hand pump next to the sink and some used a pressurized tank that was filled with air from an external source. The fresh water tank was first filled with water then pressurized. Those that were pressurized with air had a Schrader valve close to the water intake.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for that info! I think that it does not have a pump, but a pressurized system. I did take some pictures, I'm going to try and post them now.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pictures of the '67 Phoenix

I did it! I think. ..the first picture is the fill spot for the water. Right on the other side of the wall is a very large metal tank. The other 3 are just views of it.

I do appreciate everyone's input already, thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170915_104533-1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	176709   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170915_104423-1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	176710  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170915_104351-1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	176711   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170915_104204-1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	176712  

Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of my favorite sayings is: Any RV is a good RV. Yours looks like a GREAT RV!
No doubt you'll start MANY good conversations when you pull up with that trailer.
A little paint on the tongue - A little polish on the aluminum and it's a winner!
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My parents ordered a 1958 Kencraft TT. It had the pressurized water system. Spent some time outside with a tire pump pressurizing the system so my mother could finish the dishes. They also ordered a European instant water heater installed at the factory and a two way refer that needed the electric element or gas splitter installed each time you switched. Furnace was in the floor and the rig was so overweight that a tire blow out was an almost every trip event till heavier mobil home tires were installed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:25 AM   #9

Phinn, that's a good looking trailer. In your picture of your water fill, if my old eyes are seeing things correctly, on the top right side of your water fill is where you would air up or pressurize the fresh tank. Good luck, and happy camping.

Mike H
Old 09-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #10

This might be another source of info for you.
Vintage Trailer Community and Clubs, from OldTrailer.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
Phinn, that's a good looking trailer. In your picture of your water fill, if my old eyes are seeing things correctly, on the top right side of your water fill is where you would air up or pressurize the fresh tank. Good luck, and happy camping.

Mike H
Yes, there is a spot that looks like it is for air. My first thought was that it was was for blowing out the lines. LOL. I have already learned so much from you guys. The "gauge" on the water fill, is broken and extremely cloudy. I can see a needle in it but I have no idea what the needle is pointing at.

I'm guessing again, but is is based on the size of the water tank? Or is for the amount of air that needs to be put in?

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My parents ordered a 1958 Kencraft TT. It had the pressurized water system. Furnace was in the floor and the rig was so overweight that a tire blow out was an almost every trip event till heavier mobil home tires were installed.
We have had this for about 4 years but never did anything with it because of the rotten wood in the trunk area. Finally fixed that and went to get plates on it. The woman at the office couldn't believe how heavy it was. 3260 lbs. The tires are not trailer tires. They are 235/75/15. We thought that was odd too.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie_ENT View Post
One of my favorite sayings is: Any RV is a good RV. Yours looks like a GREAT RV!
No doubt you'll start MANY good conversations when you pull up with that trailer.
A little paint on the tongue - A little polish on the aluminum and it's a winner!

We took it took 2 different parks in the last 2 weeks. Yes, it is a conversation starter! Paint and polish are to come, but I want to get the roof resealed first. Any suggestions on how to go about that process, would be greatly appreciated.

I can see where there had been some kind of sealer up there, it's cracking and peeling. So I would like to get that cleaned up too.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #14

The gauge would show the amount of air pressure in the system. It should be replaceable. I don't remember the exact amount of pressure they read, but it was pretty low. Something like 0 to 25 psi. Water tank capacity varies greatly by manufacturer. Due to weight most TT's had small tank capacities. I would guess your fresh tank around 25 to 35 gals. max. This is just a WAG.

Mike H