Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

New to forum, tank heat pad question

Hello all! I am a new (3 months or so) owner of a 1986 Winnebago Chieftain 27 footer... She's been a pushy needy new home, and after lurking here since the beginning, I finally decided to join the forum.

I inherited the beast from my Grandfather, who had let it sit on the river in Needles for 5+ years, windows open. So after many weekend train trips out there, I finally got it ready for the not so short journey to Albuquerque. During the trip I had gas supply issues, which I attribute to the large amount of rust in the tank. So after 3 days and many stops I made it back.

Three months later, and many more projects later, I am joyed to be dealing with a frozen black water tank, that is also leaking from the inlet at the toilet...I was looking for heating pad solutions and was wondering if anyone has used or thought about using the pads they make for aquariums and seedling propagation. They come in a lot of sizes, and run about $10 to $30, depending on the size. These are also thermostatically controlled, where you can set the desired temp. From what I have seen on rv tank heat pads, they are much more expensive. Heat Mats on Amazon

Aside from my poopsicles, I replaced the very very rusty carb, ran great, and now I am back to gas starvation problems. I am now left with a decision to pull my gas tank and have it resealed, or buy a new one. I have not been able to find a source for a replacement, all I can find is a 40gal oem GM tank, and mine is 60. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post, I have so many projects and questions, but I will save those for another post...

Also, as I am the 3rd owner (4th if you count the mice that lived here for the 5 years it sat) I have most of the original documentation, including the service manual for my onan generator, and some original plumbing diagrams. I would be happy to share these with anyone who needs them. Being a young, single guy in an 86 winnie, I am dealing with a lot of meth stereotypes, which I am trying to get rid of. (Thank you Breaking Bad and the idiots who ruin it for the rest of us.)

Thanks for reading, and happy camping.

-Tyler
vwtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well Tyler you have good project on your hands. Sounds like Fun. I've got a spare 84 Winne getting ready to be hauled off here in West Texas. Your welcome to pick parts off if you want to make the trip.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #3

Most people just use POR-15 (POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks) to clean and seal the gas tank.

A far as the mats are concerned the question would be can they hold up to normal road abrasion (salt, sand, rain, oil, etc.). They would have to be glued to the bottom of your tanks and in 1986 I believe the tanks are exposed to the elements. NOt sure what your intended use of therig is, but you would only have 30 amp service so are these mats going to be pushing your 30 amp limit? A 1500W space heater uses 12.5 AC amps of the allotted 30 amp AC service.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

Dave-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Most people just use POR-15
I have thought about this, do you know if it will be effective even though I have anti slosh dividers in the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
so are these mats going to be pushing your 30 amp limit?
The mats are about 17 watts, so as far as electricity draw, I don't think it would be a problem. And they can be thermostatically controlled, just like the furnance...for the road wear and tear, I was going to mount them to the tank using self adhering ducting insulation, which should protect them from road wear. They are intended for seed propagation, so the sit under a tray full of plants, and I would guess because of that they have some sort of moisture barrier...but I am no professional. Just trying to find a low cost solution to my frozen black and grey water tanks....
vwtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #5

All the tanks have slosh dividers. It will take two people to agitate the chemicals around in the tank. Many people have done this.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, fuel tank, heat pad, plumbing, tank