Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Newbie 1st question 87 Chieftan

So picked up this super clean older coach this summer and put it to use during (college) football season tailgating
While its pretty moderate weather wise here in the PNW it does get below freezing of & on during the winter.
Ive read I need to "winterize" my rig but Ill be danmed if I can find a comprehensive "how to" guide on my specific motorhome. Chieftan 27RU?

The 1st thins I did do was empty the sewage tank, easy enough.
Im told Im carrying fresh water but ill be damned if I can figure out where? Shouldnt there be a tank visible below the coach with a drain valve or something?
needragr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

I never looked under a 1987, but I would think the tank is not visible from underneath. It it was visible it would be exposed to road hazards. I would think if there was a drain point for the tank it might be in the wet bay where you found the valve to drain your black tank.

Contact Winnebago or a local Winnebago dealer to request a copy of the owners manual for your MH.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #3

just some generic advice your water tank is in the coach mine is under the dinette, run your pump until it quits moving water then drain the tanks again
if you have access to compressed air you can buy an adapter that goes on your city water hookup which should be on the drivers side looks like a garden hose fitting.find your water heater it will be behind a exterior door most likely open the handle on the over pressure valve put air on the system no more then 40 or 50 psi blow out until no more comes out.
if it has a bypass kit the shut it if not get about ten gallons of rv anti freeze or may be more but ten did mine ok and put in your water tank,the fill should be a smallish plate/door that slides out for you to manually fill your water tank.run the pump starting at the farthest end open faucets shower etc until it runs very pink then go to the next until all done.
run it thru you toilet an I leave a little setting in the bowl i the shut my tank valves this worked well for me on mine and some others in the group can expand on this but this will give you a good start
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

Hmmm, so far the advice is is still a bit over my head.
So I am to understand there IS a tank for fresh water, but it WONT be accessible from below the coach and the only way to evacuate it is to power the coach run the pump and .... drain it, into the the grey water tank~!?
I know little to nothing on the coach's systems and although it came with every conceivable receipt and booklet it has no "Operators" manual telling you where to find something and how to use it.
I did some looking around and there is an aluminum tank under the sink the size of a normal propane bottle or slightly larger, is that it?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
You should have "low point" drains under the coach. Two lines with shut off valves that allow you to drain the fresh water system without running the pump. The tank in a lot of motor homes is located under the bed (it lifts up). You can buy a fitting that threads into the city water fitting on the side of the coach that allows you to pressurize the system to force the water from the lines. Then add RV antifreeze to the drains and lines.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
srh

Newmar Owners Club
I would take it to an RV shop and have them winterize it. More importantly, ask them to show you so you can do it next time. Some shops have specials like $60. A great way to learn about your coach when you are new and do not have the manuals. Do it soon before it freezes - that will be real costly to fix then!
Good luck!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
You should have "low point" drains under the coach. Two lines with shut off valves that allow you to drain the fresh water system without running the pump. The tank in a lot of motor homes is located under the bed (it lifts up). You can buy a fitting that threads into the city water fitting on the side of the coach that allows you to pressurize the system to force the water from the lines. Then add RV antifreeze to the drains and lines.
Perfect - thank you
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by needragr View Post
Perfect - thank you
Well spoke too soon.
I did a thorough inspection under the coach ...no drains as described.
Nor is that tank back under the bed (dbl bed absolute rear of the coach with ext. storage access below).
It looks like the only way to drain this sucker is to run it, pump on then drain it to the waste tank and dump.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by needragr View Post
Well spoke too soon.
I did a thorough inspection under the coach ...no drains as described.
Nor is that tank back under the bed (dbl bed absolute rear of the coach with ext. storage access below).
It looks like the only way to drain this sucker is to run it, pump on then drain it to the waste tank and dump.

Okay.... Where is the fresh water fill located on the outside of the coach? The water tank can't be too far from the fill, usually within a few feet. Once inside the coach check the area that corresponds to the water fill on the outside and start looking. Could be under the couch, cabinet or in a basement compartment.
There should be low point drains in the system to drain it with out running the pump, I can't imagine Winnebago hiding them but ya never know.....
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #10

I had a 79 23' winne that had the freshwater tank on the wall under the sink. That was not a good design! the drain was in the cabnet below the sink.
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
systm drainage

I agree with the man who says to take it to a dealer-etc to do it once and be shown how to do it in the future.
I had a Winnebago lesharo of the same vintage and it had plug valves on the inside of the unit that you just pulled up and the water drained out of short hoses thru the floor on the ground.

One thing-- You are getting a lot of replies about installing antifreeze in the system. Be aware that antifreeze will not get beyond your onboard pump to protect anything because it has a built in check valve. That pump suction section always has a valve in it that drains the storage tank also.
KAttkisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #12

Tank should be near the pump, so look for area near the pump that a tank can hide.

Should be a door or cap on the outside somewhere for water fill, still can be a distance from there, but not too far.

Winnie should be able to provide manuals, get your VIN and serial number from the ID plate and use their WEB contact us tool to see what you get.

In the mean time, use air pressure to purge the lines.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Run your pump. Listen. Design practice is that your pump is always close to your tank. Your ears will guide you. Pipe thru the floor--they are probably there-- not big and this is not a spring chicken rig--probably covered over with crud or rotten off below floor level.
KAttkisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Also, you might try searching for a pdf manual online for your unit. Ignore me entirely if you've already logically thought of this, lol.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags