Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Newby question

Trailer has no battery, battery mount/box.....just 2 wires hanging down.

What type of battery works best for these TT's.....

Hurricane, Utah
nomadutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'll let our trailer experts offer specific advice but it would help them if you listed the year, make and model of your rig so they can offer more applicable advice. It's a good idea to list this in your signature line so it's always visible to someone reading your questions.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'll let our trailer experts offer specific advice but it would help them if you listed the year, make and model of your rig so they can offer more applicable advice. It's a good idea to list this in your signature line so it's always visible to someone reading your questions.

Best of luck

Rick
I have in my signature all the information I have at this time.......calling Skyline next week to see if they can give me a little history on it.

Hurricane, Utah
nomadutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #4

You want a real deep cycle battery sized to fit whatever battery box you have/get. 12 V for a single battery but somebody will say "use 2 - 6 V golf cart batteries in series". Basically the more battery the better without creating a mechanical problem.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Looks like a trailer of that vintage runs propane for almost everything. Only thing electric would be lights.....maybe a microwave? Does it have an Airconditioner?

Of course usually the fridge requires 12 volts to run its control circuitry. Is there a television?
Has it been upgraded to a flat panel ?

The blower motor for the propane heat also uses 12 volts.

Depends upon how much you intend to use the trailer, as to how much you should spend on a battery. A battery becomes "another mouth to feed". If you buy an expensive battery but don't take care of it properly, it will not last long. If you buy an inexpensive battery you can consider it "throw away" if you only use the trailer a few times a year. Totally up to you.

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #6

Ed,

The question really comes down to what do you plan to do with it when you can live it???

The unit is old enough that the reefer may not need 12VDC to work. It also may not have a potable water pump. I don't know anything about this unit, but you will soon. So, if all you have on the battery is lights, any cheap 12V will do for a weekend. If you have a reefer, a water pump and fans, you better look for more.

You also have to plan to charge that battery somehow.

Don't spend extra money on a "marine deep cycle starting battery". They are
just plain old car batteries with fancy terminals. If you want the wing nut terminals, just buy the adapters.

Matt
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post

Don't spend extra money on a "marine deep cycle starting battery". They are
just plain old car batteries with fancy terminals. If you want the wing nut terminals, just buy the adapters.

Matt
Seriously? You think deep cycle and cranking batteries are the same?

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Seriously? You think deep cycle and cranking batteries are the same?

rick
Rick,

I really hate being mis-quoted.
I wrote "Marine Deep Cycle Starting" batteries for a reason.
Nowhere did I say that deep cycle and cranking batteries are the same.
I have personal friends in the industry and they are who told me that the above mentioned are really just automotive batteries with the dual post design.

And you know what??
If you actually take the time to find and read the minimal specifications that are available, you will see that the CCA and RC are often identical. This means that the plates and electrolyte density are also the same. That means you are paying the difference for the posts and that is all.

True deep cycle batteries are very different than cranking batteries. Unfortunately, acquiring a single 12V deep cycle battery may be difficult as most are 6 or 8V. You will not find them at a car parts store.

Matt
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
Rick,

I really hate being mis-quoted.
I wrote "Marine Deep Cycle Starting" batteries for a reason.
Nowhere did I say that deep cycle and cranking batteries are the same.
I have personal friends in the industry and they are who told me that the above mentioned are really just automotive batteries with the dual post design.

And you know what??
If you actually take the time to find and read the minimal specifications that are available, you will see that the CCA and RC are often identical. This means that the plates and electrolyte density are also the same. That means you are paying the difference for the posts and that is all.

True deep cycle batteries are very different than cranking batteries. Unfortunately, acquiring a single 12V deep cycle battery may be difficult as most are 6 or 8V. You will not find them at a car parts store.

Matt
Sorry Matt. I missed the part about them being "Marine Deep Cycle STARTING" batteries. I should have read more carefully.

I'm familiar with the batteries you mention and have used them in a true "deep cycle" application as house batteries... without much success so I'm sure you information on them is correct.

As for finding true 12v deep cycle batteries.. I sure haven't been able to find them in either auto parts stores or the big box stores... hence my use of the "marine deep cycle starting batteries". But, I did just get some via the place that services my golf cart. Trojan T 1250s I believe they are and working great.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

Use caution when installing a battery. Many RVs use black wiring for power and white for ground ; trace the wires before you hook up.
More info here.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1).
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Sorry Matt. I missed the part about them being "Marine Deep Cycle STARTING" batteries. I should have read more carefully.

I'm familiar with the batteries you mention and have used them in a true "deep cycle" application as house batteries... without much success so I'm sure you information on them is correct.

As for finding true 12v deep cycle batteries.. I sure haven't been able to find them in either auto parts stores or the big box stores... hence my use of the "marine deep cycle starting batteries". But, I did just get some via the place that services my golf cart. Trojan T 1250s I believe they are and working great.

Rick
Rick,

Congratulations on finding the Trojan 12V. It was a good choice. They are a very effective jar, but most people are not ready for the investment.

Matt