Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #1

Next Problem...AC ceiling assembly

So I wanted to be a good RV owner this morning and clean my AC inside and out. I did a lot of research and was able to remove the interior ceiling assembly. I wanted to go ahead and spray paint it since everything else is a fresh white. Well...it fell off the counter and broken. Now I cant find one because its so old. The ac works fine Id hate to replace the entire thing. Anyone know where I can get this exact replacement? Thank you https://photos.app.goo.gl/V5sfsg8ywYimKTrR9
Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #2

Its a Coleman BTW
Old 10-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

Start here.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...ditioner-parts

https://www.amazon.com/slp/coleman-r...dpcv79m7erm5b7
Old 10-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #4

Thanks. I've been searching all morning. Wonder if a junk yard might have one.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

If there is a RV junk yard in striking range, maybe....

I hope you saved all the pieces. If it is ABS (will be marked inside) get ABS pipe cement at a local big box. Do not get universal. You can also wash it carefully with acetone and then use an epoxy and maybe a little glass cloth for big things like that long crack.

Good Luck

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:21 AM   #6

A RV junk yard might have one. Arizona RV Salvage is here in Phoenix. I remember seeing a RV salvage yard that advertised itself as the largest in the country somewhere in the Midwest when we drove thru there this summer. Might be some closer to you also.
As mentioned you might be able to repair it if you have all of the pieces.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Colaws RV salvage in Joplin MO can probably help you.

Another possibility is just looking at nearby junkyards for old RVs and trailers. Just ask if you can look, and if you find one, it'll probably just be a few bucks. These AC assemblies were universal throughout the industry; you just need to find something of the right vintage.

We had the identical shroud in our 1989 Fleetwood Southwind.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:09 AM   #8

Thank you guys! I emailed a few junkyards Colaws included. We'll see how that goes. For now, I pieced it back best I could and planned on replacing the entire unit anyhow as I didnt want to continue using a 30 year old ac for longer than this past summer. We are full timers so I doubt that ac is as efficient as a new one. May just replace it sooner rather than later.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrum81 View Post
Thank you guys! I emailed a few junkyards Colaws included. We'll see how that goes. For now, I pieced it back best I could and planned on replacing the entire unit anyhow as I didnt want to continue using a 30 year old ac for longer than this past summer. We are full timers so I doubt that ac is as efficient as a new one. May just replace it sooner rather than later.
We had to replace one of our 1989 vintage Colemans with a new one on the old Southwind, but the new one was much more noisy and didn't cool any better than the original. How much more efficient it might have been was not detectable.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #10

When you are ready to replace your a/c unit go to the Airxcel website, they make the Coleman air conditioners. They have a cross-over of the old unit part numbers to the new unit part numbers along with the specs on the units.
Be aware of the amperage draw of the unit you want to purchase as it can vary from one model to the next even if they are the same btu rating.
As an example the 13.5k btu Power Saver model I just bought draws 10 amps when running, the other 2 13.5k btu models draw 15 amps, the same as some 15k btu units.
My coach has 2 units and a 30 amp service so this is very important. My original unit was a 11k btu and used 9 amps when running. I hope it is worth the extra 1 amp draw for the increase in btus'. I am installing it today.

Dometic units seem to draw more amps but it is difficult to find the ratings on them.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
When you are ready to replace your a/c unit go to the Airxcel website, they make the Coleman air conditioners. They have a cross-over of the old unit part numbers to the new unit part numbers along with the specs on the units.
Be aware of the amperage draw of the unit you want to purchase as it can vary from one model to the next even if they are the same btu rating.
As an example the 13.5k btu Power Saver model I just bought draws 10 amps when running, the other 2 13.5k btu models draw 15 amps, the same as some 15k btu units.
My coach has 2 units and a 30 amp service so this is very important. My original unit was a 11k btu and used 9 amps when running. I hope it is worth the extra 1 amp draw for the increase in btus'. I am installing it today.

Dometic units seem to draw more amps but it is difficult to find the ratings on them.
Thank you for the info. It is my understanding that the power saver models are priced higher? Are you installing it yourself? I'm thinking about it but unsure if I should or if I can get it on the roof.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #12

I installed it myself, not too hard at all. Had a neighbor help me get it on the roof.
Be aware most are sold as the upper unit and the ceiling assembly, the part inside. This also has the control box if it needs one. So you have to buy both pieces.
It was about 70 degrees when I ran it and checked the amperage draw. The draw was 6 amps running and it was putting out 45 degree air. The amp draw will increase as the outside temp. rises. Rated at 10 amps.
Normally the Power Saver does cost more but I think it is well worth it especially if you run it off a generator. My coach has 2 units with a 30 amp service so it came from the factory with the Power Saver units. Others with the same set-up have had issues going to a non PS units which draw 15 amps or more.

Tags
ceiling