Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
That's actually a DIY job if you want to save some bucks.
Windows come out easily after you remove the 1,000 square headed screws on the inside. Set up a tall table on the outside to hold the window. Use suction cups with the handles to assist. Do all of the windows leak?
Or just PM?
J
I have to admit that it scares me to death to attempt to take these widows out. From the inside if you are looking at the windows, you have all these screws right under the windows, which are right above the frames. Then it looks like the window pops out. Then the frame is still in I guess what appears to be the plywood that forms around it. I am not sure if it has a metal frame that the frame is screwed to or not. I am afraid that if its wood its going to be rotten and then I will have no way to put it all back together. But it appears the windows and the frames are 2 seperate pieces. I have watched the video that I think Senior chief put on here and it looks simple but that was an metal trailer, and a different window design.I am just not that mechanicle to get that involved with that type of job. If I knew the frames were mounted to metal and not wood, I wood tackle it. I have already tore off the wall paper under the passenger seat window because it was buckled, I thought it was just the wallpaper glue had seperated, come to find out the sheething was rotted from the window leaking and all that was there left was plywood. I bought 5/8 sheething cut to fit primared it and repainted the walls and it looks pretty good. I's about $950.00 to have all the windows done, but just 1 is leaking, but I figure just do it all and do it right. I plan on having this rig a long time. I like it alot and its in really good shape as opposed to spending a fortune for a new or newer 1.
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman60 View Post
I have to admit that it scares me to death to attempt to take these widows out. From the inside if you are looking at the windows, you have all these screws right under the windows, which are right above the frames. Then it looks like the window pops out. Then the frame is still in I guess what appears to be the plywood that forms around it. I am not sure if it has a metal frame that the frame is screwed to or not. I am afraid that if its wood its going to be rotten and then I will have no way to put it all back together. But it appears the windows and the frames are 2 seperate pieces. I have watched the video that I think Senior chief put on here and it looks simple but that was an metal trailer, and a different window design.I am just not that mechanicle to get that involved with that type of job. If I knew the frames were mounted to metal and not wood, I wood tackle it. I have already tore off the wall paper under the passenger seat window because it was buckled, I thought it was just the wallpaper glue had seperated, come to find out the sheething was rotted from the window leaking and all that was there left was plywood. I bought 5/8 sheething cut to fit primared it and repainted the walls and it looks pretty good. I's about $950.00 to have all the windows done, but just 1 is leaking, but I figure just do it all and do it right. I plan on having this rig a long time. I like it alot and its in really good shape as opposed to spending a fortune for a new or newer 1.
The windows do not screw into the wood. It's a sandwich design. The screws attach to the outer frame.
One of the windows on my '84 Pace got broken and I removed it, took it to a glass shop and BAM! No problem. Just do one at a time. I used my drill with the proper bit to speed up the job.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
J I understand that but was the frame itself attached to? If I was to pull the frame out and put that tape around the frame,is the frame of the window attached to metal or wood?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
J I understand that but was the frame itself attached to?
The frame is not attached to the MH with the screws. The two pieces of the frame are connected together with the screws. Take out one screw and look into the hole. Make sure that the weep holes in your window frames are clean and can drain freely, that can cause leaks also. The water wells up and will come inside. For extra protection I run a small bead of silicon around the outside top edge of the window frame. To make it look pretty, I smooth it out with a wet finger. A wet finger wont stick to the sealant.
J
Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
The frame is not attached to the MH with the screws. The two pieces of the frame are connected together with the screws. Take out one screw and look into the hole. Make sure that the weep holes in your window frames are clean and can drain freely, that can cause leaks also. The water wells up and will come inside. For extra protection I run a small bead of silicon around the outside top edge of the window frame. To make it look pretty, I smooth it out with a wet finger. A wet finger wont stick to the sealant.
J
Thanks j. For all your help. I will try a small window 1st. Man I thought I was in way over my head with that. So I can take the outside window and frame out, put that tape around the window frame reinstall window and frame seal it up and its done. Awesome. I will give it the ole college try. Thanks so so much.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks j. For all your help. I will try a small window 1st. Man I thought I was in way over my head with that. So I can take the outside window and frame out, put that tape around the window frame reinstall window and frame seal it up and its done. Awesome. I will give it the ole college try. Thanks so so much.
YEP! That's it, so ez. save a ton of $$$$.
J