Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #1

Older LP sensor

Hello everyone... New to the RV world so forgive me for my slight ignorance. Me and my mother had bought an 84 Fleetwood Pace arrow with the Chevy 454 31ft and for the most part I'm rebuilding it alone.. I seem to constantly be running into a reoccurring issue... "Sorry sir GM doesn't make that part anymore." Which brings me to my malfunctioning LP sensor... I have gone threw the steps to make sure that there is no leak. So now the issue is the fact that the new detectors are just that... Detectors. They don't help the the automatic shut off/sylinoid issue... If anyone knows of a way for me to fix this with out breaking the bank, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Once again thank you for sharing your time.
WhoolaWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #2

If you have an old CCI Controls LP sensor (like used in many older Fleetwood brand RVs), MTI Industries bought out CCI and still makes replacement detectors that are nearly identical. I say nearly, as I just purchased an MTI 30-series LP detector to replace my CCI (I needed a 30-442-P-BR model). The mounting holes are ever so slightly closer together than my CCI unit, but it still works just fine. Note that MTI units will quit working after 5 years (the time over which the sensor becomes "poisoned" and will no longer work accurately). Amazon was my friend and I got one for around $60.

If you want a solenoid to control your gas bottles, you'll need their 70 series that monitors both CO and LP gas. I dunno, I didn't think I needed this, the 30 series will wake the dead and it's easy to get out of my trailer. The whole idea is they alarm BEFORE you go unconscious.

Not sure if I've answered your question, but hopefully this helps-
Oh, BTW, I've got a 1970 Cadillac Eldorado with a 500 cu in engine... Rock Auto is your friend for many of these older engines.
Steve
Dr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

I ruined my lp sensor when it was nearly new by setting off one of those bug bombs in my closed up rig.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:30 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoolaWalker View Post
Hello everyone... New to the RV world so forgive me for my slight ignorance. Me and my mother had bought an 84 Fleetwood Pace arrow with the Chevy 454 31ft and for the most part I'm rebuilding it alone.. I seem to constantly be running into a reoccurring issue... "Sorry sir GM doesn't make that part anymore." Which brings me to my malfunctioning LP sensor... I have gone threw the steps to make sure that there is no leak. So now the issue is the fact that the new detectors are just that... Detectors. They don't help the the automatic shut off/sylinoid issue... If anyone knows of a way for me to fix this with out breaking the bank, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Once again thank you for sharing your time.
If I might join in I have a 82 PA and didn't know there was a Lp sensor where did you find it ?
I agree also about Rock Auto. I have a 64 deville convert and they are a great source.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #5

On the wall right by the floor right next to the bathroom.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, is it factory install or aftermarket?
I installed my own. Never have seen one on my 82
Tim
Old 01-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #7

It's factory... I wish I could find the same exact unit.... I'm doing more research and finding out more about this syliniod such a pain in the rear.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:22 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a RV Store/parts that has almost everything under the sun. I found a grate for my stove in my 82 PA there. I can't remember the name of it but after awhile I'll ask Gordon.
Maybe they will have it or can find one.
Tim
Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #9

Man oh man that would be great.... So far I'm striking out on my end.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #10

NO OLDER LP DETECTOR UNITS cause the 'sensor' will NOT be any good so forget about any salvaged units etc.

MUST buy a replacement and as posted by DR.M CCI is no longer in business but DIRECT replacements for LP Detector AND SOLENOID valve are available.

OPEN this link and READ all of it
http://www.stadealer.com/uploads/1/8...larms-2012.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

Does anyone know if I can override the wires going to the syliniod... Or how much electricity it takes to open the syliniod?
Old 01-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

I didn't see ur last post... Thanks OldB that's going to help greatly I just can't seem to find what model the Fleetwood was.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoolaWalker View Post
I didn't see ur last post... Thanks OldB that's going to help greatly I just can't seem to find what model the Fleetwood was.

Solenoid is NOT needed.

Most just replace LP Detector and hard pipe solenoid
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote