Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #1

Onan 4000 mystery deepens

So I "winterized" my 1992 Damon MH awhile ago by taking out the 2 batteries under the hood. Went to put them back in briefly to run the Onan generator for a little while, but it wouldn't start. Both batteries showing 12.46 volts, but when I hit the start button on the generator, all I got was a couple of "clicks" from the relay. I checked voltage at the relay and got 12.46 vdc. I jumped the relay with a jumper and got nothing (12.46 vdc strait to starter). I started the main engine, then the generator started right up with the house power switch in the "ON" position. If I select the "OFF" position on the house power switch, the generator dies.
So, in short, in order to use or start my generator, the main engine has to be running, and the house power has to be selected to the "ON" position. All I've done to it is removed and charged the batteries on a trickle charge. Need a wiring diagram drastically!
Phoelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #2

Was the volts holding 12.46 while holding the start button ?

Sounds like a loose connection, maybe at the batteries them selfs. Did you tighten them up or just snug them ?

Lol at the ground cable on the battery and generator too.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you take out the "house" batteries or the "engine" batteries? If you took out the engine batteries and left the house batteries in they could be dead. Also if you batteries are only at 12.46v that means they would only be 77% charged and a fully charged batter is 12.6v's. Sounds like you have a dead "house" battery.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #4

As stated, both batteries removed (there's only 2 batteries on the rig) The voltage dropped to nearly nothing when the start button for the generator is pushed to on position. Both batteries reading same voltage, main engine starts with no problem. Need to either swap positions of batteries or take both batteries to autozone for a load test. I placed the old starter that I removed from the generator in a vice, and used jumper cables to see if both batteries would spin starter...Good thing I had it in a vice!!! Both spin up starter, but then again, starter wasn't turning an engine...
Phoelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoelix View Post
The voltage dropped to nearly nothing when the start button for the generator is pushed to on position.
Either you have a bad connection between the battery and the generator or you have a bad battery which can not support the amp draw to start the generator.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

Where were you reading the voltage when it dropped to nothing.

If yo tested at the battery, its shot.

If at the generator, follow both cables back towards the battery at any connection point.

The battery should hold 10 + volts, even with the engine seized.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

Hydrometer

I started to mention specific gravity. Then I decided its not worth the
Apostman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan