Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Onan Emerald III

Yes I am back. The Generator does not start. The PO stated he thinks the board is out, but will start on the outside. No Go!

The 5amp fuse was missing, pulled the plate off and the board was unplugged, Ugh! The breakers were off.

So when outside and push the start button, should it turn over? I am wondering if the starter solenoid is bad. It has 12v to it, and tried to jump it, but it is in pretty poor shape. I got a click out of the starter, the contacts are pretty dirty. I can go to fleet farm and pick one up that mounts on the side and install it.

If the solenoid is good, has clean terminals, should the outside switch turn it over? Once I get it to turn over, then I can troubleshoot the other problems.

Thank in advance.

P.S. More questions coming.
AtekorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

You can use auto jumpers to jump around the solenoids big terminals to bypass it.

Use the other cable to connect a good ground from chassis to engine.

If it cranks, then buy a new solenoid. If it dont, make sure the engine can turn and not seized.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #3

I did get a turn at one point, but the connectors on the solenoid are rusty, for $12 I can change it. Are you saying I can jump the generator without harm? I am going to change the solenoid because I had a hard time just to get a reading on the meter. Then when I did tried to jump it, one time I got a little action. To dirty to go further. Once it is changed, should the outside switch turn it over?
AtekorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Save yourself a lot of agony and get a copy of the manual as it will have troubleshooting instructions.

Regarding the selenoid...All it does is connect the 2 large wires together \o engage the starter if it has one.

You could just use jumper cables and another battery and jump to the starter wire and ground and see what it does.

If rusty looking yiu may have corroded connections so stop what you are doing and clean all of the connections one at a time.

Remove one and only one nut then take all wires at that point off and with a wire brush clean the lug on the wire and the bolt.

Make sure the wires are not green either.

Do this for wires on starter nd selenoid as well as any connectors.

After all is cleaned try it again.

If still bad review the troubleshooting guide to determine what is causing your issues.

Tags
onan