Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

onan generator- fuel issue

My ONAN genset 6.5 isnt getting fuel. The rig is new to us so we have never had the generator running.

The motorhome tankis full but the genset isnt getting fuel so I checked the hose going to the tank it is in pretty bad shape. I cut it to see if I could draw fuel from the tank..Nope no suction. so the line will need to replaced.
Not looking forward to dropping the tank- like I said the tank is full.

has anyone set up their generator to run off an auxillary tank? would like to get the genset running before our next outing. i I could ru it off the auxillary tank I wouldnt need to drop the motorhome tank for a while.

any suggestions?
jimzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you just want to test the generator, you can run a rubber hose from the gen. to a gallon gas can.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #3

easy to drop the tank full ive done it 2 jack stands and a 2x6 on front floor jack and 2x6 under back you dont droop to the ground
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You can download the service manual on the IRV2 site under the files section
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #5

You can buy a plastic 6 gallon or so boat can and run the hose from the generator fuel pump to the connection on the tank.

Not the best to do this so you really need to make sure the connections don't leak fuel and the tank is far enough away so it does not get warm.

In the Army I maintained the generators for our unit and the smaller ones were set up to run off the 5 gal. GI cans.

I thought about doing this for extended stays at the lake. There is potable water close but that is all.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #6

+1 on using a military jerry can or a boat gas can as a temporary way to run the generator.

On my MH we were able to replace the fuel line by removing the tire on the tag axle without having to drop the tank. Some people have mentioned that they made an access panel from inside the MH. Obviously that will depend if the fuel tank lines up in a closet or under the bed where the panel is hidden from normal view.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #7

I knew I would wake up to some good responses. I was thinking a Jerry can could be easily converted to be an auxillary tank. Tonight I am gonna just use a hose and a gas can and see if I can get the old girl fired up.

Was planning on working with it last night but the batteries were dead so I had no crank.

Tonight after work I should have some fully charged batteries and some time to work on the Onan.

Great idea on the access panel above the tank. Not sure, it will work for me. Im pretty sure the bathroom is right above my tank so that is a NO Go for the access panel.

once I get it going with an auxillary can I will feel better about running a new line to the tank.

a floor jack and jack stands like someone mentioned will be the way I go.

where the hose enters the tank are their fittings? I know the hose shouldnt go to the bottom of the tank to prevent running the tank dry, but how long should the fuel line be? is their a filter or anything at the end?

thanks again
Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #8

It's alive!

Im so stoked! I cut the fuel line and ran a primer bulb into a gas can. While I held the line my wife Hit the START.

CHUG CHUG CHUG for about 10 seconds and it fired up. Even made the wife jump! LOL

it ran a little rough the 1st couple minutes but she smoothed right out and is running great.

So I got more motivated and decided to replace the fuel line to the tank. while i was exploring I noticed enough of a gap on the top of the tank to wedge my arm in with a spintight to take a hose connection off. Looks like it had been spliced before.

replaced 5/16" fuel line from the generator to that connector and got everything tightened back up.

Hit the Starter and away she went. Left it run a bit while we went inside the coach and added some load with the a/c units. Seems to work Great.

Does anyone know off hand what oil filter will work on this. Its an ONAN was wondering if a autoparts oil filter would cross reference.

Oil doesnt look to bad but not knowing when it was changed I am going to change it now so I can record when it was changed.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #9

6,5 cant help but go to parts store they can cross over to a wix
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
............Welcome to the site, and yes you can get even a FRAM filter for it. You may find that the replacement filters are a tad shorter than the Onan, making it a little harder to remove. Try and find the small ring that slips over the end of the filter to make it easier to unscrew.
Good thinking and diagnosis of the fuel line problem. Not knowing the full history of the unit, stop in WalMart auto section and get a small bottle of StaBill fuel treatment and put it in the fuel tank, that way it will circulate through the generator as well, good stuff. Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #11

My wife bought the rv in early April. Since then we have been through a few tanks of gas. We are new to Motorhomes so we have been slowly finding our way around. Just finally got the time to work with the ONAN.

I had added sea-foam to one tank of gas. At the end of the season I will be doing the stabil and running the Generator ...Good suggestion. I love this site.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #12

Can't remember the Purolator number off the top of my head, but it is the same one that fits my wife's 19998 Chevy Tracker with a 4 cylinder.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #13

fram number is pf3614
AZSouthwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
...but it is the same one that fits my wife's 19998 Chevy Tracker with a 4 cylinder.
Man, how'd she get such a new truck? Do they still have the rebates?

Tags
fuel, onan