Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #1

Onan Genset Wows

I have a 92 Pace Arrow with a onan Marquis 7000 genset. I just brought the RV out of mothballs where it has sat for over a year with no intervention.

consequentially, just about everything in the coach died. Maybe that's a little too extreme, I should say the batteries died but they were seven years old so not a big issue they needed to be replaced anyway. I thought for a few moments after it was running that the transmission had gone out because it kept trying to shift gears, but on the way going home which was several miles that smoothed out and the transmissions working fine now. However, having said all of that it's the Onan generator that's causing me problems now. Prior to a year or so ago it was working just fine we've used it on several occasions when we had gone boom docking, but now for some reason it will not stay running. It starts and runs easily for about 20 minutes and then it'll shut down. But it will start right back up again, so I did some checking on the Internet and found out that it could possibly be an oil temperature switch but I ruled that out because it starts right back up and will run for about 20 minutes. I should also probably let you know that I have changed the oil on this unit and replace the spark plugs and replace the fuel filter.

If you have any suggestions I am totally open for what might be causing the problem.and of course any related fix. I should also probably mention that it shuts down under load. Unfortunately I haven't checked it yet to find out if there's no load if he just keeps running which I'll do today. I'll also update this and point that out if it does keep running

. Thank you again for all the help You folks here are wonderful.
Uhrlto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #2

I haven't had a 7000 generator for many years, but I recall a similar issue. I also changed the fuel filter. After that didn't work, I ended up rebuilding the carburetor. But before you do that, try adjusting the needle valve to let more fuel in. Sorry I couldn't be more help, it's been a long while since I owned that one. Good Luck.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #3

If it runs for 20 minutes under load, I don't think you have a carb problem.

Fuel pump or sucking air into the lines before it maybe.

Try running it with the gas cap loose. Someone had bad charcoal filters and it blocked the gas tank venting.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 7 kw that had the same symptoms you describe. It's been over 10 years now, but will try to recall... There is a screw on the bottom of the carb that if you remove it, all the carb contents will pour out. Do that! Replace the screw and try it again. Mine must have had water, or a bit of crud that allowed it to run for a short while, then shut down. There is also a small lever on the carb that you can adjust for high altitude. I'd try to work that back and forth to make sure everything is clear. Hope this helps!
Old 06-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #5

Thank you everyone for your comments, I'm still tracking down the gremlins. So far its leading to a fuel pump and I ordered one. I will get back to this thread if that solves the trouble.

Tony
Uhrlto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #6

I have no experience with the 7000 watt unit but the 4000 watt unit will do just what you describe if the oil level is too high. I had that problem with my used 4000 watt unit after the selling dealer had returned it to an Onan repair facility for repair. I found a you tube post from a mechanic who stated that many of the 4000 watt units were delivered with a dipstick that had an unusually high fill mark. And, by filling it only half way up the cross hatch mark it would work fine.

I drained a small amount of oil and it now works flawlessly.
Sparky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #7

Did you ever find the culprit?
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan