Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #1

Our 72 Superior

We justed picked this 1972 superior today. Its has the 413 with a 727. Its the 22 footer. It needs love, but we are excited because we get to choose how we want to lay out the interior. We are goin to do pergo on the floor. Haven't decided yet on what we want to do for paneling on the walls. We are goin to make a new custom counter setup for where the stove and sink go.

bigbertha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
She looks like a dandy, a real collectors dream. Have fun on the restoration. Jim
Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quite a undertaking I would think, Good luck and keep the progress photo's coming.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

Congrats!! Looks like a fun project. Welcome to the club... Stay focused and pack your patience.

Keep us posted on your progress with lots of pics!
73DodgeTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #5

thanks guys, it will be a slow progression. I'm goin make sure all the wiring is in good shape before I put some paneling back up. How do I know what chassis its on, I know its a dodge. Just not sure how to know which series, all i really know about it so far is it has split rims and its 8 lug.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
RNW

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hi there I have a 1973 Superior 2500 with a 413 cid. It had split rims 5 lug 17in rims.
RNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Be careful when working with those split rims. First thing to do is get rid of them and get tubeless if possible. Those split rims can take your head off if you don't know what you're doing. Safety first. Jim
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #8

I would certainly second that thought about split rims. those wheels are now 40years old, rust and age will take their toll. Be especially careful of those rear duals. It would be prudent to deflate those tires before removing them from the motorhome.
Bumperfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
Be careful when working with those split rims. First thing to do is get rid of them and get tubeless if possible. Those split rims can take your head off if you don't know what you're doing. Safety first. Jim
Yeah Im goin to be getting rid of them. Planning on getting some 19.5s for it. hopefully I can find some for a good price. I have no desire to keep the widow makers. So how do I find out for sure what chassis is under it, want to get some ujoints ordered and get the driveshaft back on.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
RNW

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I bought some 19.5 rims on craigs list and sanded them and painted. I bought new 8R19.5 tires and had a trucking shop put them on.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #11

what do you guys recommend for a roof coating? My roof from what I've seen it square tubing with sheet metal on top of that, followed by fiberglass. I got a spot where a tree limb fell on it that I have to fix with glass. But I was thinking of coating the whole roof afterwards just to be safe. It is 40 year old fiberglass and rather coat it and be safe then have a pinhole some where. What about something like Sta Kool - 4.75-Gal. Sta Kool 7-Year Ultra White Elastomeric Roof Coating-SK-7705 at The Home Depot or is there something else to go with?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbertha72 View Post
what do you guys recommend for a roof coating? My roof from what I've seen it square tubing with sheet metal on top of that, followed by fiberglass. I got a spot where a tree limb fell on it that I have to fix with glass. But I was thinking of coating the whole roof afterwards just to be safe. It is 40 year old fiberglass and rather coat it and be safe then have a pinhole some where. What about something like Sta Kool - 4.75-Gal. Sta Kool 7-Year Ultra White Elastomeric Roof Coating-SK-7705 at The Home Depot or is there something else to go with?

I went with Ames maximum stretch on my roof last spring. No complaints here.

http://www.amesresearch.com/_maximum-stretch.html
73DodgeTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
RNW

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My roof is made of galvanized steal that is painted with self-leveling lap sealant on the seams.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like a great find and restoration project. Stay dedicated and I'm sure the end result will be one to be proud of. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress. Good Luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote