Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #1

P30 Bell Crank bushings and BC Arms for 80's Class A

Has anyone found replacement bell cranks or bushings anywhere other than Precision Frame? Also looking for bell crank arms from anywhere but Precision Frame. It is my understanding that they somehow bought the production rights for the P30 cranks and arms.....I hope I am wrong and that there are other sources. Never like dealing with monopolies when I can avoid them.

Thanks,
stangdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:15 AM   #2

i bought i believe the brand was super steer bel crank for the drivers side
on passenger side i bought the bushings from local GM dealer for $60 you will need a local machine shop because when you press them in you will need to bors theh to size if you had a hone about 4 inches if you are careful you might be able to hone (the tolerence per gm is 0.000 to plus
0.002 inches) im a machinst so i bored it to size the drivers side is the one that wears out have you checked them i come thru your area many times a year as sister lives south of you let me know what you plan mavbe i could help takes about 1 hour to set up and bore to size
im north of you on 35 w
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #3

I bought the bushings from Chevy. Part number 00266316. Takes 2 per side, not one like the parts catalog says. Cost about $13 each IIRC.
I used my Dremel tool and almost cut the old bushings thru lengthwise, then peeled them out with a small chisel, screwdriver would work too. I placed a hardwood block on the bushing and drove them in, then honed to size with a brake wheel cylinder hone and WD40. Go slow and try the fit often. I added a thin o-ring on the top and bottom of the shaft to keep the grease from running out as fast when lubed. Hope it spreads the grease out more this way.
Not a terribly hard job once the unit is off the vehicle, just dirty.

It did make a big difference in steering control.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #4

good to hear you got it done be sure to check lover ball joints also
dave
Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #5

Dave, Thanks for the offer to help with the bell crank rebuild, but I got lucky and both my bell cranks are in good shape. I would guess they have been replaced before I got the rig. I took the drivers crank and crank arm to the machine shop in town to have the arm pressed off, since I was starting to maul it attempting to separate the two. I'm waiting for my pricey new b/c arm to arrive, so I can put it all together again. After assembly, I have to drive 80 miles to the closest rv alignment shop to hopefully put to rest the wandering problem. Crossing my fingers that between the new steering gearbox, new b/c arm and a good alignment that the problem will at least get better, if not be resolved. Thanks to everyone for your help !

Happy trails
stangdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #6

on allignment look around for a repair shop thet does big trucks i used one in ft worth i try to stay away fron rv shops since your close to I-35 bet there are several around
dave
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 AM   #7

was out by you this weekend daughter wanted to see a friend (we were in buda) anyway what a bad area on 183 west of 35 ever need a hand im down there every couple months
dave