Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2021, 11:59 PM   #1

Patch or replace gray tank?

Hey everyone,

I have a 1984 Tiffin Allegro that I got a yr ago and finally got around to working on the gray water tank. There seems to be at least 3 areas with cracks that could be patchable (watched a great YouTube video) for like $30 in materials. A new tank is about $280 and install would be another $200ish.

The question is do I try and patch it or just replace?

Thanks for your thoughts!
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E9C7CF08-784B-48BF-B35E-7741AF77D358.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	608.3 KB
ID:	340713  
FlyJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2021, 05:17 AM   #2

If the tank is made of polypropylene or polyethylene, there is no glue for these 2 materials. A manufacturer did come out with an attempt at one but with brand new plastic it was a 50/50 shot at working. Let alone on 37 year old plastic.
You can try using some polyurethane caulking as a temporary solution. It should hold up for a few years before you have to redo the caulking.
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
If the tank is made of polypropylene or polyethylene, there is no glue for these 2 materials. A manufacturer did come out with an attempt at one but with brand new plastic it was a 50/50 shot at working. Let alone on 37 year old plastic.

You can try using some polyurethane caulking as a temporary solution. It should hold up for a few years before you have to redo the caulking.
3M 5200 is a PU adhesive / sealant that is intended for permanent use. I can attest that removing it, short of using a torch, is next to impossible.
You might experiment on a good area of the tank, solvent clean, rough it up with sandpaper or wire brush in a drill and apply a bead. See how well it sticks after a week or so cure then decide whether to try the fix vs replace.

I know little about plastic welding but wonder whether that is an option with those materials. Harbor Freight has units that are reasonable $ for a DIY fix.
Whats to lose? With either of the above?

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Plastic welding is an option. There is a company in MN called GasTankRenu that welds the plastic fuel tanks in cars and trucks with good success.
TheVintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Any suggestions on how to patch the cracks?

ABS cement?
JB weld?
Flex tape?
FlyJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyJake View Post
Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Any suggestions on how to patch the cracks?

ABS cement?
JB weld?
Flex tape?
I have repaired holding tanks by using fiberglass cloth imbedded into the plastic after heating the tank plastic to soften it up enough. Then I used the fiberglass resin and added more cloth until I had a good repair. Using a propane torch on small areas allowed me to get the cloth to bond to the tank before using the resin. It was a cheap but good repair for a do it yourself project. You could try it and if it doesn't work you're only out about $20.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
I have repaired holding tanks by using fiberglass cloth imbedded into the plastic after heating the tank plastic to soften it up enough. Then I used the fiberglass resin and added more cloth until I had a good repair. Using a propane torch on small areas allowed me to get the cloth to bond to the tank before using the resin. It was a cheap but good repair for a do it yourself project. You could try it and if it doesn't work you're only out about $20.
Now thats a creative approach!
Would never think of it but will try to file it away for future.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Old 08-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:

I'd try to patch it first.

It used to be that polyethylene required flame treating for the special glue to stick, but now there is Infinity Bond MMA 500 that does not seem to need any pre treatment. I only have experience with the old method for repairing canoes, so you might want to investigate the new glue further.

rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:02 AM   #10

Eternabond. I patched a tank 15 years ago and it's never been a problem.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I have a 1984 Tiffin Allegro that I got a yr ago and finally got around to working on the gray water tank. There seems to be at least 3 areas with cracks that could be patchable (watched a great YouTube video) for like $30 in materials. A new tank is about $280 and install would be another $200ish.

Thanks for your thoughts!
-Jake
If you can get a new tank for only $280 I would jump on it.

On our RV that was not an option. We went with the plastic welding method. We did order the proper LDPE welding rods and stainless steel reinforcement mesh. Canít find the Amazon link right now. Also went with the hot-air welder.
The trick is to grind the plastic down to clean material, drill the crack ends (as you did). Recommend filling the crack first, and grind smooth, as necessary.
Next using the hot-air welder to embed the mesh. Then cover the mesh with more LDPE rods. The last trick is to melt the plastic until it becomes transparent and fads the LDPE filler rod. This takes a lot of patience and some practice so as not too burn the old HDPE tank plastic.
Also,
In our case the gray and black tanks were wedged in casing extra stress on the outlets for the dump valves. With some trimming of the tank outlet length, and some slack on the two tanks, we achieved a stress free fit. The last thing we did was to add an extrasupport strap to distribute the water load.
D Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, gray tank, replace, tank