Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #1

Please advice for: 1981 Dodge Power Ram 2500 Wagon on propane

Hello, I am new to this forum and very interested in purchasing a camper van. I have found one but I am not sure what to think of it since it's very old and never had a camper van before.

It would be great if anyone could give me any advice they may have regarding this campervan. The link is bellow.

Thank you very much in advance!

1981 Dodge Power Ram 2500 Wagon on propane - Prince George Cars For Sale - Kijiji Prince George Canada.

Date Listed 25-Apr-13 Price $2,800.00 Address Prince George, BC V2L 1G2, Canada
View map For Sale By Owner Make Dodge Model Power Ram 2500 Year 1981 Kilometers 190000 Body Type Wagon Transmission Automatic Colour Brown Drivetrain Rear-wheel drive (RWD) Type Used Fuel Type Other

This van is well kept. Had a 1500 dollar brake job last fall. I also have new tires on it. It has solar energy. The appliances includes propane stove, furnace, and a three way fridge. All in good working condition.

The van is fueled by propane. Propane is half the cost of gasoline. An excellent vehicle for camping.

oli777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

Propane is also about have the energy (BTU's) per gallon. The conversion is a really bad idea. If you buy it convert it back to gasoline.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli777 View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum and very interested in purchasing a camper van. I have found one but I am not sure what to think of it since it's very old and never had a camper van before.

It would be great if anyone could give me any advice they may have regarding this campervan. The link is bellow.

Thank you very much in advance!

1981 Dodge Power Ram 2500 Wagon on propane - Prince George Cars For Sale - Kijiji Prince George Canada.

Date Listed 25-Apr-13 Price $2,800.00 Address Prince George, BC V2L 1G2, Canada
View map For Sale By Owner Make Dodge Model Power Ram 2500 Year 1981 Kilometers 190000 Body Type Wagon Transmission Automatic Colour Brown Drivetrain Rear-wheel drive (RWD) Type Used Fuel Type Other

This van is well kept. Had a 1500 dollar brake job last fall. I also have new tires on it. It has solar energy. The appliances includes propane stove, furnace, and a three way fridge. All in good working condition.

The van is fueled by propane. Propane is half the cost of gasoline. An excellent vehicle for camping.

Propane is a great fuel and will give twice as much engine life as gasoline due to no liquids bypassing the piston rings. You do loose about 5-7 % of power compared to gasoline. The real drawback is not a lot of places to fuel. If the conversion is a dual fuel style so much the better as you can use which ever fuel is available. Yes the propane tank is heavy and adds some extra weight. My work truck was propane only so I had to plan refuelling when traveling.
goodolejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

first where you are and are going can you buy propane, propane is a great fuel if it is available burns cleaner and the minor power loss is not generally a problem.
it costs less per gallon engine life is much better drive ability if set up properly is just as good as fuel injection.
the bad is you have to maintain it, the heat exchanger will need rebuilt every few years and the coolant level in the radiator is very important, it will freeze up if you run low on coolant even though the rig isn't running hot.
but i have gathered up a dual fuel system for my four wheel drive which i hope to install this summer my reason is the truck sets a lot and propane doesn't go bad in the tank like modern gasoline. so i am a fan of propane
if it fits into your lifestyle yes it is a good deal if not run the other way
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply's. I want to buy a camper van that is fueled on propane only and I live in Fort McMurry now and plan to drive to the Rockies then to Vancouver Island and then may be down to California. So I must check out how easy it is to propane fill up.
I am really interested in buying this Van but it's is Prince George, Bc so to get it I would need to go from Alberta to BC then drive back but I must make sure that it would pass a out of province check up once its back in Fort McMurray, Alberta.

What would you guys do before buying this van to make sure that its in good condition?? I never bought a car before and never has a car insurance so this is a complete first for me band I think I would love this propane van.
oli777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, propane